A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Toppings burning  (Read 499 times)

Offline bnew17

Toppings burning
« on: May 21, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »
I had my first cook on my Koda 16 tonight. I had two problems. It was a disaster getting dough balls out of the individual containers. I put some olive oil in bottom of each container before I put the doughballs in. Needless to say my pies looked like you know what. I made the dough Thursday night because my oven was supposed to be in on Friday, but Fed Ex did not deliver it until Saturday.Second is I preheated oven for 25 min on high. I made 2 pepperoni and 2 cheese. Was using kraft shredded mozz and bag pepperonis. The cheese and the pepperoni burned before the the crust browned. I turned the burner all the way down just before i put the pies in. What did I do wrongand how can I fix it? I have been reading a ton but I have 0 experience.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:24:51 PM by bnew17 »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Toppings burning
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 11:13:05 PM »
Most people with this type of oven (I have an Ardore) face a learning curve wrt how to balance the bake. Some thing is necessary indoors in a standard kitchen oven but the extreme temperature differences aren’t so big and things do not move along as quickly.

First thing is get an infrared thermometer gun such as this (look around I just copied first link that came up on Amazon) [size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSHR9M6/?tag=pmak-20[/size]. Let your floor temperature determine when you put the pizza in the oven. I generally turn the gas down at that point, which is not using the oven to its full potential. However, I am not making Neapolitan Pizza too often and prefer 650-700°. Also, you will probably need to rotate your pizza 2-3 times to get the less done areas facing the flame. Like anything else, it tKes practice and accepting small incremental improvements.photos and some details on your dough for ula and workflow will help others to help you.
-Tony

Offline bnew17

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 07:59:07 AM »
I do need to get a infrared gun, which I am going to do. The dough tasted great.

My dough recipe was
523 grams of 00 Caputo (red bag)
340 mL of cold water
15 grams salt
.5 grams Caputo dry yeast

Offline moose13

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 05:14:59 PM »
try a fresh mozz, vs shredded. Its all a balance of bottom/top heat. Youll get it with some practice.Go light on toppings

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 06:36:46 PM »
I had my first cook on my Koda 16 tonight. I had two problems. It was a disaster getting dough balls out of the individual containers. I put some olive oil in bottom of each container before I put the doughballs in. Needless to say my pies looked like you know what. I made the dough Thursday night because my oven was supposed to be in on Friday, but Fed Ex did not deliver it until Saturday.Second is I preheated oven for 25 min on high. I made 2 pepperoni and 2 cheese. Was using kraft shredded mozz and bag pepperonis. The cheese and the pepperoni burned before the the crust browned. I turned the burner all the way down just before i put the pies in. What did I do wrongand how can I fix it? I have been reading a ton but I have 0 experience.

One of your issues is caused by the pre-shredded bagged cheese.  The anti-caking additive (cellulose) causes burning.  Shredding your own with something like this will greatly alleviate the issue: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VLV6Q/?tag=pmak-20   

Alternately, you could hand shred fresh mozz by peeling the ball like you would an orange.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress