A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Quad Cities dough recipes  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
Quad Cities dough recipes
« on: August 10, 2022, 06:51:32 PM »
Gonna start by saying I've never been there, never had it. I just think it's an interesting idea.

As I understand it, the dough is in fact sweetened. It's generally agreed that it is sweetened with "malt" which I tend to interpret as malt syrup or malt extract (same thing) rather than malt flour.

Since I also have some experience in home brewing, I'm aware that "diastatic" malt flour means that its ground malted grain, probably barley, that has enough amylase enzyme in it to self-convert the starches to sugars. In fact, malted barley typically has enough alpha and beta amylase to convert a lot more than its own starch, though the limits of adjunct grist escape me at the moment. Since the enzymes would be destroyed by the heat produced by some milling practices, I presume the diastatic stuff has to be milled cold.

Malt extract or malt syrup is what you get as a result of that conversion. You can get malt extract in liquid (consistency like honey) or dry form. Dry sounds at first like it is easier to handle but it is crazy hygroscopic and the dry form is very sticky and annoying to work with in its own right. I would personally rather pour liquid malt extract from a jug than scoop dry malt extract from a bag or container, having experienced both. Unfortunately, LME for homebrewing is generally sold in large, non-reclosable plastic-and-foil bags. So it goes. but I do have a small jug of LME labeled "malt syrup".

Now that we have that out of the way, this makes misc recipes for quad cities pizza dough that specify non-diastatic malt flour sort of suspect.

From what I've found, that chiefly leads me to the recipe published by PMQ a few years ago here: https://www.pmq.com/the-pizza-kitchen-quad-cities-style-pizza/

25 lbs. high-gluten flour
11.75 lbs. water (cold as possible without using ice)
6.3g instant dry yeast (activated in warm water)
56g malt syrup (non-diastatic)
71g sea salt
50g sugar

As we have established, "diastatic malt syrup" would be a nonsense ingredient, so i don't know why they specified non-diastatic.

When you do the math on this it comes out to 47% hydration. Which seems a bit low to me.

And then there's the recipe that the washington post published in 2016 here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/quad-cities-style-pizza/15158/

4 ounces (1/2 cup) warm water
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast, preferably SAF brand
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) malt syrup (see headnote)
4 1/2 cups (18 ounces) bread flour, or more as needed
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2/3 cup (5 1/3 ounces) ice water

Super weird how water is listed twice, but it still comes out to about 47%. And they included what looks like sauce seasonings in there too. Very weird. As though someone conflated a bunch of hand-written notes.

The yeast quantity on both of these is pretty low too. A quarter teaspoon vs. half a kilo of flour? Gonna be a slow rise maybe.

So I'm interested if anyone here has some experience with the quad cities style or can comment on the hydration and yeast quantity looking pretty strange in both of these.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:53:46 PM by Timpanogos Slim »
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline gtvanhyfte

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Quad Cities dough recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 07:21:35 PM »
Growing up in the QC I have my own QC Pizza Dough clone ingredients list.

Here is mine: Bakers % / typical measurement
Bread flour 100% / (500g)
Water 50% / (250g)
Yeast 0.5% / (2 packets)
Malt Syrup 8% / (~2Tbs+, thick stuff scooped)
Salt 1% / (5g)
Olive Oil 1% / (5g)

The liquids plus the Yeast are premixed before adding to the dry. The malt syrup is a flavoring and a sugar stand-in.
The hydration % is estimated to be in the low 50s since the Malt syrup is a liquid.

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 10:31:22 PM »

Here is mine: Bakers % / typical measurement
Bread flour 100% / (500g)
Water 50% / (250g)
Yeast 0.5% / (2 packets)
Malt Syrup 8% / (~2Tbs+, thick stuff scooped)
Salt 1% / (5g)
Olive Oil 1% / (5g)

The liquids plus the Yeast are premixed before adding to the dry. The malt syrup is a flavoring and a sugar stand-in.
The hydration % is estimated to be in the low 50s since the Malt syrup is a liquid.

Hey, thanks! I have yet to try to make this style, or get out to the QC, but i keep meaning to mix up some sausage with a good amount of fennel and give it a try.
- Eric

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 11:58:29 PM »
Just for reference liquid diastatic malt exists. I've previously posted links so I'm not going to search again.

Offline gtvanhyfte

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 12:30:26 PM »
Correction on my dough ingredients:
Yeast percentage is correct. I use 1 packet of active dry yeast to make it easy.

For the Malt Syrup I use the Eden Organics brand since it was stocked at my local grocery store.

For the sausage, I use Aldi breakfast pork sausage (1lb tube) and add 1T of fennel seed with a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
Just for reference liquid diastatic malt exists. I've previously posted links so I'm not going to search again.

I think it's strange that it does, but I will take your word for it.

In beer brewing, there are people who use all grain, people who use grain and malt extract, and people who just use extracts. And it seems to be generally assumed that malt extracts for brewing have enzymes to convert other starches. Some say it's because it got used up already (and the factories that produce malt extracts get far closer to 100% conversion than brewers get), but it could also be due to heat pasteurization breaking down the enzymes.

I don't remember the specs, but 2-row barley malt and pilsner malt can convert a lot more starch than they contain if you're careful with your mash temperature. I think i did a brew that was about 40% brown basmati rice that way.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 02:21:51 PM by Timpanogos Slim »
- Eric

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 02:44:01 PM »
Correction on my dough ingredients:
Yeast percentage is correct. I use 1 packet of active dry yeast to make it easy.

For the Malt Syrup I use the Eden Organics brand since it was stocked at my local grocery store.

For the sausage, I use Aldi breakfast pork sausage (1lb tube) and add 1T of fennel seed with a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Aldi doesn't exist here, Publix neither, but i had been unsure that starting with breakfast sausage would be reasonable. Thanks!
- Eric

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 07:02:30 PM »

Mixed up a batch of this.

It's an awkward quantity of low hydration dough here - I don't think my DLC-5 can cut it, and conversely my bosch universal mostly pushed it around the bowl.

My malt syrup (something something farms, not organic, label looks like it was printed on a laser printer) is molasses-dark, so it's an oddly dark dough.

I'm gonna let it double on top of the water heater before splitting it into two balls and fridging.
- Eric

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 10:21:46 PM »
Here's attempt #1.

I maybe should have just used a rolling pin, since this is a to-the-edge dressed style.

Baked for about 6 minutes in my pellet-fired oven starting at about 550. This may be a style that is better served by the oven in my kitchen.

I added fennel to winco store brand breakfast sausage and added cayenne, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and "italian seasoning" to a portion of the sauce i had made with just mutti polpa, salt, and a little marjoram.

I did cut it into strips. I did not use scissors.

I like it. I'll enjoy the other ball of dough eventually (will move it to the freezer tonight). Will have to get to the quad cities eventually. i have family in the Chicago area, so i could presumably go for a visit and then take a day trip.
- Eric

Offline gtvanhyfte

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 12:43:45 PM »
Looks good. Here is a photo of mine cut in that style.

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 01:44:40 PM »
Looks good. Here is a photo of mine cut in that style.

Yours looks good too - I've just been shamed into trying to make my pizzas more round by my friend's 9-year-old daughter.

If i do make it out to the quad cities area, which pizzerias would you recommend?
- Eric

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 07:59:31 PM »
It has just occurred to me that the PMQ recipe should probably be for 1kg of flour and 470ml of water. Which was the real way it was implausible. I guess 47% is not crazy for this style.

And i guess the post's recipe really did mean to spice the dough. Maybe I'll try it some time.
- Eric

Offline gtvanhyfte

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 11:02:15 AM »
If you make it to the area the place to go is Harris. They have multiple storefront locations. Mainly carryout.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 12:33:42 PM »
I guess 47% is not crazy for this style.

Not crazy at all.  I would say you are shooting for around 45-47% hydration for this type of dough.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline iblive

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 10:13:15 PM »
If i do make it out to the quad cities area, which pizzerias would you recommend?

Used to live in the Quad Cities area before moving to NE Illinois 20 years ago. I was never personally a fan of Harris Pizza (four locations). That said. People living in the are always voting it #1 pizza in the QC. We always liked Happy Joe's, which is a local to the QC chain (11 locations). Another one that gets votes is Uncle Bill's Pizza in Davenport.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 10:14:04 PM »
Used to work in the Quad Cities. Had no idea this was a thing.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 09:41:16 PM »
Used to work in the Quad Cities. Had no idea this was a thing.

I just did some google searches about regional styles and realized that spiced sauces and putting fennel-rich sausage under the cheese were things i experimented with in the 90's. The malt syrup in the dough is just a nice addition from where i sit.

And then i came here to learn.
- Eric

Offline iblive

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 10:49:10 PM »

I like it. I'll enjoy the other ball of dough eventually (will move it to the freezer tonight). Will have to get to the quad cities eventually. i have family in the Chicago area, so i could presumably go for a visit and then take a day trip.

If you find yourself in Chicago you don't need to make the 180 mile trip to the QC for a QC Style Pizza. Go to Roots Pizza. They have several locations in Chicago. One of the owners is a QC native that moved to Chicago and with a partner opened Roots. They make a QC Style Pizza. https://www.rootspizza.com/

Offline iblive

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2022, 11:42:24 AM »
I have a question for you guys that have made this pizza. Is this a make it in the morning, let rise and bake for dinner? Or is this a dough you can put together and let cold proof for a couple to three days? Cold proofing is something I like to do if it's not a last minute "I want a pizza tonight" sort of thing. Always feel the dough works easier and frankly.... tastes better as well.

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2022, 03:14:46 PM »
I have a question for you guys that have made this pizza. Is this a make it in the morning, let rise and bake for dinner? Or is this a dough you can put together and let cold proof for a couple to three days? Cold proofing is something I like to do if it's not a last minute "I want a pizza tonight" sort of thing. Always feel the dough works easier and frankly.... tastes better as well.

I am pretty sure i did. Certainly did with the 2nd ball of dough.

I should stress, if you follow the links to the recipes in the first post, i think both of them say you should use cold water. They probably intend this dough to be cold proofed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 04:21:52 PM by Timpanogos Slim »
- Eric