A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Canned tomatoes with basil for NY style sauce?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Chi_Guy

Canned tomatoes with basil for NY style sauce?
« on: March 17, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »
On my NY style pies, I use an uncooked sauce prepared from either pureed regular Cento tomatoes or passata without any additives.  I've seen a few posts here where people are making sauce using San Marzano and other canned tomatoes with basil leaf or microwaving basil to infuse it in their sauce.

So that got me thinking, do NY pizzerias typically use canned tomato with basil for their sauce?  I've never really tasted basil in the sauce at any of the reputable NY pizza shops I've visited (Joe's, Di Fara, Prince Street, etc).  Sure, there's basil ON the pizza sometimes but the sauce usually has a bright tomato flavor and/or is accented with other herbs like oregano.  Should NY style pizza sauce be made from canned tomatoes with or without basil?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:43:32 PM by Chi_Guy »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Canned tomatoes with basil for NY style sauce?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
I like the flavor of whole tomatoes packed with basil, seems to add a sweet undertone; that said, it seems like fresh basil is more of a topping when it comes to traditional NY slice pies. Same with fresh garlic. The post bake garnishing seems like a modern trend that appeals to foodies who like to see green things.

I've seen fresh basil in the sauce on various NYC pizzeria videos on youtube, but I don't think its a dominant flavor, like Lucali or Di Fara with tons of basil on top.

the proof is in the pizza

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:51:23 PM »
Jersey fresh crushed with Basil is as good as it gets
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
The guy at our local pizza shop said the stuff he uses has basil in the can. First thing he does is remove the basil. Why not try it?
jeff

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
So I tried it with a box of Visconte crushed tomatoes.  In addition to basil, it had onion powder and sugar added.  Unfortunately I couldn’t remove the basil as it was chopped up with the tomatoes.  I added a dash of granulated garlic, a pinch of oregano, sugar, and salt.  I have to say the sauce on the finished pie tasted pretty good.  You couldn’t taste the basil however it lent a really nice herbaceous flavor to the sauce.  Even though I normally favor minimalist tomato sauce, I can appreciate a well seasoned sauce like this one.

Curious to see how a sauce made from a can of whole peeled tomatoes with basil removed would taste on pizza.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 02:45:45 PM »
I like the Cento Italian (35oz). It's supposed to have a basil leaf, but sometime it doesn't. I can tell by the taste if I'll find a leaf in the can before I pour it out. It makes such a big difference that I often pitch the can an open another if there is no leaf. I remove the leaf(s) before using.

They have been pretty bad about it recently. I've got quite a few cans with no leaf. At one point I got mad and sent them an email, and they sent me some replacement cans, and more than half didn't have a leaf. Their QC seems to have really gone heck.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »
If you are making a sauce and want the effect of Basil but do not want to see it, I don't instead , I use the toothpaste tubes of Basil in the Supermarket.  Taste it first,  It does the job big time .