A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Growing some Calabrian chilies this year  (Read 31082 times)

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Growing some Calabrian chilies this year
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33:18 AM »
SK: If you don't have a large harvest incoming, I'd suggest skipping the canning part.

Here's craig's method:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19368.msg355902#msg355902

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Thanks Butter. I kept looking for that post in growing the peppers and forgot about the making oil post.

He has more peppers in that picture on two plants than I have on all mine put together.

Scott
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
I know what you mean.  Probably related to growing conditions.  I am happy to say that I have a lot coming in from four potted pepper plants, but no where near what his produced back then.  I am hoping to have a few left over to try a lacto-ferment/pickle as well.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2020, 07:38:42 AM »
I fill the jars about 1/2 full with the salt-pepper-vinegar mixture, add a sprig of oregano and then fill to 1" with hot oil. I've been pressure canning at 11psi (at sea level) for 45 minutes. Note that I don't have any science or literature that says what I'm doing is safe nor can I find any instructions anywhere on how to do it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
I collected about 10 peppers in the last 2 weeks.  I chopped, salted a little and kept them in vinegar in the fridge.  Today, I simmered them in white wine vinegar until softened.  Cooled, drained and covered with EVOO.  I think I will use one and freeze one.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:30:32 AM by sk »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
I've found that the pressure canning process is important to getting the color and flavor developed and infused into the oil. A boiling water bath isn't hot enough and a simmer is too hot.

Taking the canned chilies and cutting them with EVOO - I like about 4:1 EVOO:canned chilies, but you can go a lot higher than that - and frying the chilies in the EVOO for a minute or so - you don't want to crisp them, is equally important to developing the flavor.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2020, 12:12:54 PM »
I've found that the pressure canning process is important to getting the color and flavor developed and infused into the oil. A boiling water bath isn't hot enough and a simmer is too hot.
Hmmm, okay, that's interesting.  I don't have a pressure canner yet, I may just try with the pressure cooker with one or two jars only.  ((For those who are reading this post and unfamiliar, don't try pressure cooker with jars for long term storage, I'm just doing it to experiment, and will open and consume the jars almost immediately, while keeping them in the fridge.))  Alternative would be to simply do everything in an oil bath since that can hit the 250F temp with a pid controlled deep fryer.  Pressure canners are cheap and would be nice to have one, I just don't have room right now.

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2020, 03:19:08 PM »
I have a pressure canner but it was not worth firing it up for 2 jars.  Freezing supposedly does not affect EVOO so I froze one.  That does not speak to Craig's flavor development from the canning process though. 

I will try the one in the fridge that I tried to preserve via the sott'olio method.

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2020, 03:15:30 PM »
Followed the general steps outlined, these turned out pretty close to the store-bought!  Lost the salt somehow, though, I think it dissolved in the vinegar, was released when straining, and didn't penetrate the very thin peppers - also forgot to add salt before canning, whoops, next time.  House smells amazing after nearly two hours in the pressure cooker.  Fun watching them continue to boil as they cool down.  Of course, not for long-term storage.

Still have many more green peppers.  I may be picking them a little too early, I read somewhere we should let them get close to wrinkling on the plant before harvest?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:17:12 PM by ButteredPizza »

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »
I wanted to see what would happen if I left them on the four plants and harvested all at once.  This approach seemed to work just fine.  Nearly all picked off today, some green ones accidentally in the pile, no big. 

Do I need to pick off the stems?  That will be a real pita.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »
Pretty.

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
These two were processed in the pressure canner.  I now have one in the fridge, one in the freezer and these two.  Taste tests will now begin!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »
What was your time/temp? My oil doesn't stay golden like that. It gets very red.

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #173 on: October 18, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »
Craig:  I reread your recipe and found that I strained out the vinegar which I don't think you did and that may be the difference.   I put them in the pressure canner for 35 minutes and 10 lbs.  My weights are 5, 10 and 15 lbs.  I don't really know the temperature.

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2020, 06:54:03 PM »
The 3% brine fermented calabrian chilies weren't good, did not like the flavor.  I turned them into a cooked hot sauce that is passable.

The pressure canning method though is bomb.  Left stems on, poked holes, and ended up with four small jars.  Unlike sk, I probably used to much vinegar, didn't strain it enough as there's some water still left in the jars (you can see the peppers floating on them), and I think I mixed up my math and only pressure cooked for 70 minutes instead of 100.  Nevertheless, results are fantastic, both more flavorful and spicier than the jarred stuff. ;D  Thanks again, Craig, for sharing the process :)

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2020, 01:15:15 PM »
Final harvest before a hard freeze tonight.  Any suggestions for the green ones?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:50:01 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline lesagemike

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2021, 07:00:08 PM »
I had bought a couple of supposed Calabrian chilli seeds over the years but they really didn't look nothing like what Craig has grown and what I have bought already in oil from Italy. My daughter was in Dallas for 4 years for PMR residency, moved back east as of July 1st. I met several of her friends at a bar going away party and one was "Tony". Classic Italian guy and my daughter said he grows hot peppers like you Dad. When I ask him what kind he said my grandfather was from Calabria and those are my specialty. He said it was a big family tradition. I thought I was going to cry. He gave me probably 20 or so in a baggie the next day. They looked exactly like the ones from Tutto Calabria. I knew my life had changed forever. In southern Ohio we start those seeds in mid March to plant outside around May 10th. I figured July was way too late but chillies are perennials. I couldn't wait till next year to at least start the plant and I planned to grow it inside over the winter. It started blooming maybe 10 days ago and finally today I have them setting on for this year. I was overjoyed.

wordpress