A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Using an outdoor oven in the winter  (Read 194 times)

Offline desmo900

• Pizza-my new obsession
Using an outdoor oven in the winter
« on: February 27, 2021, 08:46:03 AM »
Hello, all. This is my first post other than my newbie intro one, so here we go. I've been making pizza with pretty good success for some years now using a pizza stone both in my oven and on the grill. Now I'm vigorously researching for the purchase of a dedicated pizza oven, and am deciding between something for indoor or for outdoor use. It seems like there's more versatility and performance out of outdoor ovens in general, and if I go that route, I think I'd love to get something that would use either gas or wood. My question is whether or not the performance of outdoor ovens are compromised in any way when used in the winter because of what I would see as a fight between the oven and the outdoor temperature? Thanks for any help!

Steve

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Using an outdoor oven in the winter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »
Steve, Other than standing in the snow :o , I use my BGE in COLD temps here in the Denver area. No issues with the Ceramic oven not getting to temp and holding it . I have no experience with other ovens but would assume that insulation of the cooking chamber would be a factor and fuel consumption most likely will go up depending on the insulation factors.

Mark

P.S. when it's snowing or REALLY cold I revert to my home oven with pretty good results. dough recipe having to be adjusted.
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
WFO takes a little more wood the heat up the mass of the oven in winter.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »
I start heating up with a smaller fire, but other than that, there is no change inside the oven. I think a good outdoor oven is very well insulated. With the door on, mine still takes days to get to ambient in the winter.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T