A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: hammettjr and quietdesperation eat pizza at scarr's, ny  (Read 1013 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
hammettjr and quietdesperation eat pizza at scarr's, ny
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
matt's excellent review is here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55305.msg585119#msg585119

but thought starr's deserves its own thread. Going in, Matt and I independently had the same thought: it's a little odd to eat pizza at a two-year old pizza restaurant made to look twenty-five years old when one could just as easily eat at an authentic 25-year old (or older) nyc pizza place.

My reservations were forgotten after my first look at our slices: loved the mottled char on the undercrust,  the old school bubbles and the evidence of post-bake hard cheese. The sauce had good flavor but, tasted blind, I might have guessed sauceless pizza. In the end, it's obvious the pizza was made with love and care but to my mind, it's not a "destination slice". Still, we often visit Chinatown and I foresee substituting a scarr's slice for a roast pork bun or two.

It was cool to spend time chatting with the owner on the street outside the shop. One of his friends said something like "you won't feel "f*cking bloated when you're done here". Tongue in cheek, I suggested to the owner that might
make good signage on the front window. He laughed but stranger things have happened  ;D

While the pizza was good, the real highlight of the day was meeting Matt. I could have spent the entire afternoon talking and eating pizza. I strongly recommend taking the opportunity to meet your fellow forum members. To a person, everyone has been smart, fun and passionate about our shared interest!

best,
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:16:10 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: hammettjr and quietdesperation eat pizza at scarr's, ny
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 04:25:32 PM »
It was great meeting you QD! I agree, after finally meeting a forum member, I highly recommend it.

Matt

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 12:03:33 AM »

I’ve met 4 people from the forum so far, some twice, and have spoken to a couple others on the phone. Like Matt and QD, this has been my experience 100%. Even if at the next one it goes horribly, I will still be batting .800  :-D  Kidding! Like you guys and others here I have spoken to, I would encourage forum member to sit down for pizza with other forum members when the opportunity presents itself.

While the pizza was good, the real highlight of the day was meeting Matt. I could have spent the entire afternoon talking and eating pizza. I strongly recommend taking the opportunity to meet your fellow forum members. To a person, everyone has been smart, fun and passionate about our shared interest!
It was great meeting you QD! I agree, after finally meeting a forum member, I highly recommend it.
-Tony

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »
I’ve met 4 people from the forum so far, some twice, and have spoken to a couple others on the phone. Like Matt and QD, this has been my experience 100%. Even if at the next one it goes horribly, I will still be batting .800  :-D  Kidding! Like you guys and others here I have spoken to, I would encourage forum member to sit down for pizza with other forum members when the opportunity presents itself.
Totally agree. The day I spent on Chau's pizza tour was blast.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »
I've met a couple.  Drinking Craig's bourbon, eating Tony's meatballs, and smoking cigars with Jon are still on my bucket list.
John

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
Man it sounds like the sauce really didn't stand out despite all the praise.

Regardless, it was great to read about the meetup with you pizza people!   :pizza:

the proof is in the pizza

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
I'll leave somebody out, I'm sorry! I've met many people on this forum that I would trust implicitly thru just a few conversations, online, by phone or in person! I've sat with Han's for pizza, Craig and his family also. Had several long personal conversations with Chau, Tony, Moose and not the least Norma!!! Norma is something, more than you think!

Many PM with MANY members, all I would consider friends.  Great forum to say the least and without great members it would be nothing! If I listed everything and everybody I'd be writing all nite!

Too all....thanks, and surely much more to come!!!

Ps.....like John aka jkb said, much on my forum bucket list to do!!!😊😎
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 08:53:05 AM »
I'll leave somebody out, I'm sorry! I've met many people on this forum that I would trust implicitly thru just a few conversations, online, by phone or in person! I've sat with Han's for pizza, Craig and his family also. Had several long personal conversations with Chau, Tony, Moose and not the least Norma!!! Norma is something, more than you think!

Many PM with MANY members, all I would consider friends.  Great forum to say the least and without great members it would be nothing! If I listed everything and everybody I'd be writing all nite!

Well said Jon. You and everyone else that I've met from the forum in person have been a real pleasure!
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 09:31:44 AM »

Norma's pizza is on the list, for sure.
John

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 11:42:10 AM »
I had a couple of excellent slices from Scarr’s last week. Well balanced, flavorful, great bake. Each time I give them another shot they seem to get better - the same guys have been doing it for a while and maybe they are starting to hit their stride
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:52:23 PM by hotsawce »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »
It's certainly one of my favorite slices in NYC.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 07:54:25 PM »
The flavors come across to me more "middle america" than neapolitan-NY. I don't mean that in a bad way at all - it's just a different flavor profile than a slice like Joe's. It's well seasoned. Almost "heartier." Even the post oven pecorino come's through really nicely on his slices. I believe that was very deliberate. Sometimes you want the more basic flavor profile like Joe's. Other times, I want that Pepperoni slice from Scarr's that has a lot going on!

It's certainly one of my favorite slices in NYC.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:08:09 PM by hotsawce »