A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: D.C. area source for mozzarella and tomatoes  (Read 614 times)

Offline Pizza215

• I Love Pizza!
D.C. area source for mozzarella and tomatoes
« on: January 01, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
Hello forum members,

Looking for a place in/near D.C. where I can buy decent mozzarella and tomatoes for pizzas...ideally Grande cheese and 6 in 1 cans (or similar). Right now I order the 6 in 1 or Alta Cucina via Amazon and they frequently arrive dented. This is for home use, so I don't have access to the restaurant wholesalers. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline peelsessions

• I Love Pizza!
Re: D.C. area source for mozzarella and tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 12:22:41 AM »
If you're willing to make the drive, Saval Foods, https://savalfoods.com/ is up near BWI, sells cash and carry, and stocks Grande (loaf, shredded and curd), Stanislaus tomatoes (with the notable exception of Pizza Magic, from what I recall), All Trumps and KASL high gluten flour and Caputo blue.

Depending on where you are relative to DC, you should be able to find somewhere closer. Distributors are generally happier to take your money than answer your questions, which can be tricky because almost nobody small enough to sell to an individual gives you enough info not to need to ask a lot of questions. But Stanislaus and/or Grande and/or Escalon should be able to tell you who stocks them nearest to you and it may be worth making some calls.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 11:22:56 PM »
I buy my Grande and Tomato Magic at Bova food near the Philly area(cash and carry,But they take credit cards}
You have to buy by the case if that's a problem go buy PollyO at you local supermarket.
Myself I have room in my extra freezer and will use only Grande Cheese($100-$115 for 6 5lb bags of shredded cheese}If money is a problem you should just buy a pizza local....JT

Offline Pizza215

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
Peelsessions: thanks for the helpful info re cash and carries near DC. I'll look around a little more but will probably end up checking out Saval. I've been happy with Boar's Head WM mozzarella from the grocery store but it's not cheap @ $10/lb. Has def taken my pizza up a notch but buying a whole loaf seems like the way to go.

JT: I'm looking in DC, not Philly. BTW "just buy a local pizza?" The forum is called "Pizzamaking," my friend.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T