A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1902865 times)

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #20600 on: September 26, 2022, 10:50:31 PM »
How did you bake that?  It reminds me of the pizzas I used to make in my Blackstone
In my indoors oven for 10 minutes at 500 degrees on my steel. I directly heated the steel for a good 10 minutes on a burner just before placing it in the oven, and then placing the pizza on it.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #20601 on: September 27, 2022, 08:42:44 PM »
Not my most photogenic pizza, but it tasted great. Vodka-ish sauce, cheese, sliced meatballs from an Italian market near me, bacon, peccorino post bake.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20602 on: September 27, 2022, 09:55:15 PM »
Good to see one from you again, Jon. It sounds like a great combination.
-Tony

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #20603 on: September 28, 2022, 02:22:13 AM »
A 10-inch, NY style (.085 TF) pizza, topped with about 2.5 ounces of sauce, 3 ounces of LMPS mozzarella, about Ĺ ounce of fresh grated parmesan, 3 oz partially browned pork sausage, diced white onion, and a lot of fresh sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms. After the bake, I topped it with some pickled red onions since their acidity provides a nice contrast. The pizza was absolutely fantastic, but it started out as hoagie rolls.

Long story here, so please skip if desired.

Iíve been wanting some lobster rolls, but with lobster meat running about $80/lb., that wasnít happening. I decided to make a seafood salad using shrimp and imitation crab (krab), which is much more affordable and sort of hits the spot. Since this was going to be a seafood salad, it was going to be somewhat wet. Lobster rolls can be made as a salad, but often they are just lobster meat on a bun, and drizzled with some lemon and perhaps some butter.

A sturdy roll was in order so I decided to make some using my sub roll recipe. Iím not going to pay $4.59 for a bag of 4 Martinís or Amoroso sub/hoagie rolls at the grocery store. The 4 rolls here cost me less then 90 cents and were ready to bake in 2 hours. The seafood salad cost me about $14 for enough to make 4 subs. Portioned at 115 grams each, and once cooled, the sub rolls weighed in about 98 grams each, and about 6.5 inches long. I baked them at 350F for about 25 minutes. The lower temp allows a less crisp and thinner crust to form.

As I was gathering the ingredient for the hoagie dough, I wondered if this recipe would make a good pizza dough. So, I made the batch about 200 grams larger so I could portion out a 190 gram dough ball to make pizza the next day to see how it landed. A 10-inch, 0.085 TF pie.

My recipe listed below is in bakerís percentages. Figure out what size batch of dough you want to make in grams, whether for rolls or pizza, then multiply the batch size by 0.5727 to get the flour weight. Then multiply the other bakerís percentages in the recipe on that flour weight to get the amount in grams for the other ingredients.

My intent was to make sub rolls that are soft, but sturdy and stand up to moisture from meatball subs, Italian subs drenched in oil & vinegar, cheesesteaks, etc. Itís a high protein and enriched dough. Iíve been using Samís Bread and Pizza flour for over a year and I love it. It makes great bread and pizza dough.

For these sub rolls though, I would need to up the protein since I figure the Samís flour lands around 12.1 to 12.2 grams of protein (they donít say what it is). So I swapped out about 5 grams of the Samís flour for 5 grams of vwg that is 76.6% protein. That upped the protein level to around 13%. Then, I added whole milk powder so the water would basically become whole milk.

The ratio of the milk powder to water is about 12.5% of the water weight, so I added 32 grams of whole milk powder to turn the 257 grams of water I used into whole milk. Adding the milk powder brings along about 8 more grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, and 13 grams of sugar (lactose) to the mix. I calculated the final protein content of the dough was 14.8-15%. The milk powder also caused the total sugar content to about 4.5%, and fat to 5.35% of the flour weight.

Since I wanted a fast rising dough to make same day sub rolls, I used 1.5% IDY, and 115F water (milk). The dough wasted no time in doing itís thing. In the mixer bowl, I whisked the dry ingredients to combine, then added the wet. I started the mix by hand using a silicone spatula to get a lot of the dry powder wet (about 90 seconds), then set the mixer to speed 2 (KitchenAid Pro 5 Plus) and let it mix about 9 minutes.

The dough should be quite tacky, but not wet or sticky. If you touch it briefly, it will feel tacky but wonít stick to your hand. If you touch it too long, it will stick. After 9 minutes of mixing, I gave the dough a good tug and it didnít tear, so that was good enough.

I worked the entire batch into a ball to tighten and smooth it a bit using dry hands, and then placed it in an oiled bowl to bulk rise. After 45 minutes of rise, I divided it into four 115 gram pre-shape portions for the rolls, and one 190 gram portion ball for the pizza. I worked the 190 grams into a tight ball on the counter, then put it into an oiled bowl with a lid, and stuck it in the 37F part of my fridge. The dough ball did rise about 15% in the fridge before cooled enough to stop it.

The sub rolls came out great and can be seen in the last photo. I left the pizza dough in the fridge for 24 hours, then out to the counter (77F) to finish rising. It was getting really active around the 2 hour mark and could have been used then, but I let it run. At the 3 hour mark it was definitely time to bake but let it go another 45 minutes to see what happened.

The at 3 hours 45 mark, the dough quit rising and was slightly over proofed, but it handled quite well. It was strong, and very extensible. My intent was a 10 inch pizza, but I stretched it closer to 11. It was strong enough that I probably could have gone to 12, but didnít. I had preheated my oven to 535F (its max) with a stone on the bottom rack. I put the stretched dough on my Lloyd 12 inch screen, topped it, then into the oven. As soon as it was in the oven, I dropped the temp to 475F. At 3.5 minutes in, I shook the pizza off the screen and on to the stone. At 6 minutes in, I rotated it 180, and pulled it out at 10 minutes.

I donít know how much the CF did for dough flavor versus the addition of milk, lots of sweet from the sugar and lactose, lots of yeast, and DMP, but it was quite tasty. Itís likely though that the dough was more workable for stretching as a pie by giving it 24 hours in the fridge. Next time I make sub rolls, Iíll do this again and skip the CF and see how the pizza dough handles with a 2 hour rise for a quick, same day pizza dough.

The pizza was excellent. It had a great bite and chew. The bottom browned nicely, and had that crispy crack common to NY slices when bent. As can be seen in the close up of the slice, the bottom was ultra thin and was holding up well to the mushroom moisture and onions, and fat from the cheese and sausage.

Note: If using whole milk powder, use one that indicates 32-34 grams of powder per cup of water. They are not all the same. You could also just swap out whole milk for the water. While the milk powder adds a bit more volume, itís not going to matter much whether whole milk or powder is used for an enriched dough recipe like this. Itís more about the extra protein, fat, and sugar that the milk of either kind brings to the mix.

ingredients:
-Bread flour, 100%. (If adding vwg, figure swapping out 1.3% of the flour weight for vwg.)

-Water or whole milk at 110-115F, 66%. (If using whole milk powder, calculate amount of powder to use at 12.5% of the water weight.)

-Sugar, 2.5%.

-Salt, 2%.

-Oil, 2%.

-IDY, 1.5%

-DMP, 0.6%
Instagram: lightfuzer

Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #20604 on: September 28, 2022, 02:54:00 PM »
made quick pies/Calzone with just uncooked tomato sauce, just little bit of aged parm on top, bit pesto, 22 hr RT dough, Only SD, hydration low 60s.cooked at 740 ish f.
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20605 on: September 28, 2022, 10:35:16 PM »
Using bolognese sounds like a great idea!
I've had the idea of a meat sauce for pizza in my head for years. I just haven't quite perfected it yet. Why no pizzeria I've ever seen offers this, I have no idea. It's such a no-brainer to me.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #20606 on: September 28, 2022, 11:18:12 PM »
Made a couple 14" a few nights ago, these really turned out fantastic, couple of my best tasting.

This was same day dough, 8hr total time RT fermentation, 1.5 in bulk, balled for the remaining 6.5. Turned up the oven temp, did a solid 1 hr+ pre-heat, got my bake time under 7min.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:20:05 PM by kori »
I SMILE AND WAVE....
Inhale pizza, exhale negativity.

Halo Versa 16 ready for duty!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #20607 on: September 28, 2022, 11:23:49 PM »
really nice looking pies there kori!

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #20608 on: September 28, 2022, 11:28:43 PM »
Thanks Scott, I been practicing! :chef: :pizza:
I SMILE AND WAVE....
Inhale pizza, exhale negativity.

Halo Versa 16 ready for duty!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20609 on: September 29, 2022, 02:25:56 AM »
really nice looking pies there kori!
^^^  You baked very clean and turned out some delicious looking pizzas. I hope you and your family enjoyed them!
-Tony

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20610 on: September 29, 2022, 03:53:52 AM »
They look really good, Kori!

Offline abelgarcia

• Live and learn
« Reply #20611 on: September 29, 2022, 01:33:04 PM »
Margherita 2.0 and two bianco
Aapo   Wood fired oven "Siankarlo"
Pizza Party Ardore, Saputo tiles
Gustarosso tomato, Caputo flours, Ischia Culture, Biga

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #20612 on: September 29, 2022, 10:40:04 PM »
First pizza from the Central Milling Organic Type 00 Regular.

Nearly the same recipe as my last batch:

Grist is 7.5% semolina and 2.5% dark rye. In the future i might shift that to 5% and 5%.

60% hydration (maybe 61%) (previous closer to 64%)

1.7% salt (may increase to 2.2 if i increase the rye)

0.4% SAF IDY

Big difference other than flour is relatively brief knead in the bosch universal followed by 26 hours RT ferment (mid 60's to low 70's).

Took its sweet time proofing. Got punched at 2 hours, 5 hours, and 18 hours. Portioned and balled at 21 hours.

Decided to see what kind of top browning i could get with a lower temperature setting on the pellet grill and longer cook. Deck was only about 650f. It was in for at least 4 minutes. After i took it out the IR gun confirmed that 'doming' it wasn't really a thing -- stainless steel lid on the GMG pizza oven attachment was at 200f and change. I need to spend some time soon adding a lower ceiling.

Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #20613 on: September 30, 2022, 01:51:13 PM »
This one is inspired by Santa Barbara surfer dude  :) 
24 hr dough, 60ish hydration, 24 hr fermented with SD ,
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:00:25 PM by woodfiredandrew »
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline TNARBED

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20614 on: September 30, 2022, 08:06:00 PM »
New Haven dough.
Pepperoni and diced garlic.
Loving the star anise addition
to the sauce and my new
Lamy garlic mincer from
Amazon. Perfect tiny
garlic cubes.
-brant

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #20615 on: October 01, 2022, 12:24:30 AM »
This is a follow up to my post on the 28th about using my hoagie roll dough recipe for pizza dough. Specifically for a NY style pizza.

Since a cheese pizza is the reference and gold standard for judging pizza, yesterday I made a 17 ounce, 485 gram, dough ball and did a CF for 24 hours. The dough uses the same hoagie roll recipe I posted a few days ago, this one is just larger for a 16 inch, 0.085 TF NY style pizza.

I have a friend who isn't really a pizza snob, but is pizza finicky. She's a Jersey girl and has had her fair share of slices from her home state, and also from Manhattan and Brooklyn. I invited her over for pizza last night to get her feedback.

I used my go-to method for baking round pies. Preheat the home oven to max (535F for me), with a stone on the bottom rack. I open then dough and place it on a Lloyd screen, top it, and into the oven. As soon as I close the oven door, I drop the temp to 475F. I shake the pizza off the screen to the stone at the 3.5 to 4 minute mark. At 6 or so minutes, I rotate it 180, and bake until its the color I desire. This one was a 12 minute total bake.

I came out of the oven looking on point. I let it cool a few minutes on a rack, then moved to a board to cut, then back on the rack. Jersey girl's expression on first bite was priceless. Her eyes got bigger, and she went back in for another chomp for a true mouthful.

Once able to talk, she said it was by far the best NY style pizza made at home she'd ever had. She said that if she had not seen me make it, she would have thought I had a pizza shop deliver it. (Of course, there's no NY style pizza shops around here, but I get her drift).

She added that it could hold it's own against many of the slice shops in Jersey and Manhattan, and while perhaps not the best NY slice she ever had, that's stricly a personal preference. She said nobody that likes NY slices would have a problem with a slice of this.

Using my 31 year old electric home oven, I'm pretty sure that this is as close as I'm going to landing a NY style pizza at home. It's been a long journey to get to this point, and then it was accidental, but I'll take it. I'm going to try one more tweak to the recipe to see how that lands, but if not the same or better, this is, will be, and remain my go-to NY style pizza dough and method for a home oven. Pizza party soon for more feedback.
Instagram: lightfuzer

Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline Swinger-mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20616 on: October 01, 2022, 01:40:27 AM »
first Ny pies in 3 months.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 01:47:59 AM by Swinger-mike »

Offline P K

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20617 on: October 02, 2022, 03:08:03 PM »
Simple margherita

Offline nickyr

« Reply #20618 on: October 02, 2022, 07:51:06 PM »
Bad photography but good pizza!

Margherita grandma

Two pies with 25% fresh milled white wheat. One has kale, Calabrian chiles, kalamata olives, and honey. The other has basil, smoked mozzarella, and eggplant.

Apparently this was the first time my neighbor ever ate his crust!

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #20619 on: October 02, 2022, 09:34:40 PM »
Experimented with putting some insulation on top of the stainless steel dome of the green mountain grills pizza oven attachment.

I used a fiberglass welding blanket, which was a BAD idea because of the loose fibers. But i pressed on for science, and based on the success of this experiment I have ordered a smaller, much more expensive pre-oxidized carbon fiber felt welding blanket, which i may wrap some other insulation in.

As per usual I turned the cheap old camp chef pellet grill it lives in to "high", waited for clear smoke and roaring flame, closed the lid, and went away for 45 minutes. This usually results in a deck around 850f per IR thermometer.

When I returned to check on it, the display showed about 450f for the temperature of the grill as a whole, but upon opening the grill lid i found that all of the black carbon burnt into the surface of the stone had turned white.

And my IR gun, rated to 1030f, only stated that it was too hot to read.

So I turned the dial to 400f and left the lid open while I stretched dough and topped pizza.

I've grown tired of explaining that I don't have someone standing next to me with a stopwatch and don't want to fiddle with my phone while launching pizza. So I bought a magnetic stopwatch and stuck it to the pellet hopper.

Bake time was about 2 minutes and 5 seconds. Central Milling Organic type 00 (no malt/enzymes), no oil or sugar in the recipe. The crust absolutely exhibits the crisp surface and tender crumb expected at high temperatures.

Still struggling with top browning, so I will try and suspend a cheap baking stone from the dome for mayhaps more heat closer to the top. I have one that will fit and have been pondering options. I think I can suspend it with stainless steel wire.

Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

wordpress