A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tongs  (Read 514 times)

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Tongs
« on: December 27, 2021, 10:19:17 PM »
I know this topic is a bit of a stretch to file under pizza accessories, but, this is serious. I like tongs and I think the reason I like them is that by pure chance I bought the right type first. Had I bought the wrong type first I probably would not like tongs at all. In fact, I probably would have avoided using them and then when I finally got sick of them jamming up the utensil drawer I would have pitched them in the garbage, and I did just that to a couple sets of the wrong type a few days ago.

If you know what I'm talking about then none of this will be news to you. If you aren't sure, let me elaborate.

I've owned two types of tongs which at a cursory glance seem the same though they most assuredly are not. As I mentioned above, one type (which I bought before the other) is the "good type". They are a pleasure to use. Almost an extension of the arm/hand. You reach for them without hesitation. They cooperate. They assist. They facilitate. They do not complain and they do not hinder. They are such a joy to use that they make you go out and buy a couple more sets of different lengths under the assumption that all tongs surely must be the same, right?

Wrong. The second type of tong, the bad type, just sucks. It's combative. It would much rather be open than closed. It pinches flesh. It drops food. It jams drawers. It infuriates.

The difference is simple to explain, once I took the time to investigate:

The bad type has a coil spring and the good type has, well, not a spring but a strip of metal that acts as a spring. Interestingly, this good type of tongs is stamped "Crestware HDT-12". The Crestware website (which is horrendous) has a pdf catalog and if you find the HDT12 under stainless steel tongs, there's a note on the side that says "All have coil springs." So it appears I lucked out and older models used a metal strip at the hinge point instead of a coil spring.

I don't have a good pic of the bad type with the coil spring, but you probably can picture what I'm talking about. Avoid.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:21:09 AM by sodface »
Carl

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Tongs
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 10:26:10 PM »
Had I been thinking a little straighter instead of pitching the bad ones in the garbage, I could have removed the coil spring and replaced it with a metal strip which I guess is also considered a spring (just not a coil spring) and can actually be purchased:

https://www.katom.com/166-FS911.html
Carl

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 11:50:48 PM »
Carl, I enjoyed these 2 posts.  ;D  You’re kind of describing the difference between the suspension on a GM/Chevy truck and a Ford truck.I have owned both and prefer the Fords.

I love this pair of tongs for the grill. Posting here in case you haven’t seen them. My grill surround is brick and not particularly clean, nor easy to clean. These little nub legs keep thing neat, in my experience. Got them 3-4 years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FZ0Q4BS/?tag=pmak-20
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 11:52:31 PM by foreplease »
-Tony

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 11:58:17 PM »
As long as we are sharing, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756CWB27/?tag=pmak-20 is the set I bought to replace the cheaper ones I had for many years. Only issue was the rivet popped out of the smaller one and the bolt I replaced it with got rusted pretty quick. Have been using them almost daily for 3+ years.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 07:53:13 AM »
I have a love/hate relationship with kitchen tongs for many of the reasons cited above.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 09:48:01 AM »
Ever since I put up magnetic bars to hold the knives and other steel items I got rid of the drawer trapping issue.  Some of those spring coils are tight in the extreme and will fatigue my weak tiny grasp almost immediately.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies and recommendations Tony and PNW. The nubs are a great feature!

Rolls and Texmex, I was trying not to come right out and say that the coil spring type are too much for my "weak tiny grasp" but that's what it boils down to. I just can't use them comfortably.
Carl

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 11:53:46 AM »
We have several.
3,5,6 get used the most.
Three, with the red silicone on the ends,  gets used when cooking things like bacon an sausage in a non-stick pan.
Five is the go-to tongs (four sometimes as it is essentially the same) for use on the grill or griddle.
Like them because they have no springs.
Last one, the smallest, is primarily used taking toast/bagels out of toaster, but occasionally used in the non-stick pans.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:14:02 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 01:15:06 PM »
Nice assortment Bruce! I never thought about a little plastic set for the toaster, that's brilliant!
Carl

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 02:47:30 PM »
Nice assortment Bruce! I never thought about a little plastic set for the toaster, that's brilliant!

Thanks Carl...  The small on is basically a piece of bent metal (like you talked about above) with a silicone coating.
Pretty much all the tools we use in the kitchen are silicone covered.
Paid a lot for the pots and pans, expecting them to outlast me, so don't want to risk scratching them.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 08:25:44 AM »
Thanks Bruce!
Carl

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 10:29:21 AM »
Looks like a keeper.

Offline ARenko

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 06:04:46 PM »
You guys call those tongs? I give you the mother of all tongs...

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 07:02:48 PM »
You guys call those tongs? I give you the mother of all tongs...

Nice! That's a hell of a fly swatter too!
Carl