A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Basics please, on seasoning and maintaining a pizza steel  (Read 291 times)

Offline pizza450

• I Love Pizza!
Basics please, on seasoning and maintaining a pizza steel
« on: January 16, 2022, 01:13:07 PM »
I've had a pizza steel for about a year; it definitely upped my game.  But the seasoning and maintenance of it are a mystery.

is what I do to season the steel.  Canola oil, rubbed in with a paper towel, then an hour in a 375-degree oven.

However, this tear gasses my house when I'm doing it (the steel isn't "shiny" or "wet" in appearance after I've rubbed in the oil).  And unlike the steel in the video, that comes out looking like a skating rink, mine has blemishes.  I do use a plastic scraper in cleaning the steel, and after seasoning, but this smooth skating rink appearance has eluded me.

When I clean the steel after using, I let it cool down, scrape with a plastic scraper to get the burned cheese and crust residue off, then rub with a damp (not soaking, just damp) paper towel, then dry with a cloth, and store in a dry place in its original box.

What suggestions for me, for improving how I'm seasoning and cleaning, if the goal is to have a perfectly smooth and unblemished steel?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Basics please, on seasoning and maintaining a pizza steel
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:36:35 PM »
One thing, an exhaust hood over the stove, NOT a filtered one that recirculates the same air, but one that vents OUTSIDE thru the roof! Best thing you can do for your indoor environment, kitchen AND bathroom, dump that humid shower and cooking air outside!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 09:51:03 PM »
IMHO, he uses far too much oil, though it will probably stink out your house no matter what amount of oil you use..

I think the best is the thinnest veil possible, too much will become sticky..!

Maybe a funny story?

When I was young and in school I worked weekends at McDonalds. One night at the end of the shift, a new supervisor complained about the flat top not being clean enough.

We proceeded to clean the surface using the liquid from the pickled cucumber and scrubbing pads, it was clean as a whistle..! :D

Needless to say, they had some problems the next few days.. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:52:49 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 12:54:29 AM »
Mine stays in the oven 24/7, never gets cleaned or reseasoned. The video shows too much oil being applied.

Here is a tip from Walter, a pizza shop owner on the forum who talks about seasoning steel pans. This or similar methods for seasoning your steel should work.

You have to make sure when you put the oil on you wipe it near all off.  excess oil will get sticky and not release pies.
veggie oil wiped on very lightly, baked for an hour at 350 cool, wipe again 350 (I upped this to 400F) for an hour cool, wipe again 450 for 30 minutes cool, wipe again 500 for 30 minutes cool, wipe again and continue this process at 500 until you get it dark and smooth.

A well seasoned steel shouldn't need to be constantly cleaned.

Offline patnugent

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 08:47:24 AM »
I never do anything to mine.  I have a 1/2" and a 1/4" one and they both usually live in my oven - if I am making steak of burgers I will use the 1/2" one for that and do my best to get any excess grease off of it and then flip it for it's next round in the oven.

Never any issues with sticking etc.  If I have a pizza fail I will cook/burn whatever is on it and then just scrape it off.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T