A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Judge my pizza  (Read 1468 times)

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
Re: Judge my pizza
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 06:25:54 PM »
San Marzano = waste of $$$

IMO
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline soler

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2022, 04:34:25 AM »

So just a recap on this recipe:

- Poolish 300g water, 300g bread flour, .5g ADY (measured with a precision scale). Sit overnight
- Next morning, add 350g water and 1g ADY, mix in 700g flour, mix till shaggy, sit for an hour, knead until smooth-ish, sit for an hour, knead again, sit for an hour, knead again until smooth. Sit for an hour and portion into 200g balls. Proof for five hours at 72F.
- Dough explosion. Grabbing the dough off the trays immediately deflated them back to original size, they were not capable of opening--no gluten, no strength, but also a TON of snap-back. WTF?

Did you let the poolish sit overnight at room temperature or in the fridge? What is your room temperature?

Furthermore I see you did 4 sets of kneading resting 1h between and then you made balls and proofed for 5 hours more. This is a total of nine hours with a very high amount of yeast.

Next time don't add that one gram of yeast and just do 2 kneadings with smaller resting time of 10-15 minutes.
From there you can make your balls and proof them for 2-4h and you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

Online Madmax9130

• Any and All advice welcome.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 02:30:59 PM »
I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I do want to say I agree with soler. It seems like alot of kneading in my opinion. Could be why there is no stretch as overworked gluten is very tight causing very little give. Another indication is that it tears easily. For instance for mine, I do one kneading for about 2-3 minutes after mixing and that's it. Whereas when my dad makes his bread he kneads the crap out of it and it turns into a dense unfoldable brick (trying to fix that, he's stubborn). All this said with the caveat that I do not have much experience with dough fermented this long. Hope we can get a follow up, I love a good dough mystery...

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 04:13:56 PM »

IMO

Have you tried the current batch of Cento?  Some of the best tomatoes I've had in years.
John

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2022, 02:37:39 AM »
Another dinner disaster. I think I had beginner's luck on my first few cooks.

I'm dealing with what to me looks like a combination of over AND underproofed. I used less yeast this time around so I did NOT expect to see all my dough balls explode. My house is at the exact same temperature.

So just a recap on this recipe:

- Poolish 300g water, 300g bread flour, .5g ADY (measured with a precision scale). Sit overnight
- Next morning, add 350g water and 1g ADY, mix in 700g flour, mix till shaggy, sit for an hour, knead until smooth-ish, sit for an hour, knead again, sit for an hour, knead again until smooth. Sit for an hour and portion into 200g balls. Proof for five hours at 72F.
- Dough explosion. Grabbing the dough off the trays immediately deflated them back to original size, they were not capable of opening--no gluten, no strength, but also a TON of snap-back. WTF?

When it comes to this, I'd suggest to (re)start from the beginning. Are you familiar enough with a classic/direct dough, be it RTF or CF? I see so many beginners on FB groups or forums who are making "complicated" dough (indirect, high HR...) and end up with difficulties.
- is the snap-back happening before or after the re-balling? Obviously, after balling would be a normal consequence;
- no gluten, no strength = should mean gluten breaks/dough's extensible, NO SNAP-BACK POSSIBLE;
- FWIW, a few months ago I had a pizza event, the weather was colder than expected and my dough balls were very flat in the trays. I thought they would have too much extensibility (not enough elasticity) so just in case I reballed half of them. It happened that the balls that weren't reballed were almost perfect: it still had enough strength/elasticity, and they were easy to open into disc. The reballed ones on the other hand were used 2H sooner than they should have, and the result wasn't that good as expected.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2022, 06:32:14 PM »

Have you tried the current batch of Cento?  Some of the best tomatoes I've had in years.

No I haven't, not available where I live (northern Ontario), the only quality tomatoes I can aquire are Stanislaus. If I could find them I would most certainly try them out, they've been discussed alot on the forum. I did a search and cant seem to find them in the Toronto area either.
I SMILE AND WAVE....

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 12:16:09 AM »
Also, the late Tom Lehman advocated for just mixing until it all came together in a nice smooth ball, as he felt fully developing the gluten wasn't good.

All-Trumps (High gluten) flour, practically kneads itself.

Start with "pancake batter." Let it rest 20-30 mintues. Add salt and yeast (separately). Gradually add flour, stirring by hand, until a reasonably smooth dough comes together. You'll have leftover flour. Use that as bench flour as you knead the dough on the counter. As you do this, you'll incorporate more flour in to the wet interior of the dough.

The trick is not to worry about using every bit of the flour. Don't knead a lot. Your doughs will open effortlessly.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:22:34 AM by chrisgraff »

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2022, 06:20:59 AM »
Another attempt. This time I kneaded longer and let the dough balls rest longer. Definite improvement.

Now you made me hungry. Will have to eat one of last night's slices cold before I jump in the shower! Nice looking pizza for sure! Kepp baking you will keep improving!
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2022, 02:21:54 PM »
All-Trumps (High gluten) flour, practically kneads itself.

Start with "pancake batter." Let it rest 20-30 mintues. Add salt and yeast (separately). Gradually add flour, stirring by hand, until a reasonably smooth dough comes together. You'll have leftover flour. Use that as bench flour as you knead the dough on the counter. As you do this, you'll incorporate more flour in to the wet interior of the dough.

The trick is not to worry about using every bit of the flour. Don't knead a lot. Your doughs will open effortlessly.
I've never heard of anybody doing this sort of quick poolish technique with a bromated flour. But it makes sense. A dough with a lot of water with bromated flour would probably get those enzymes started up pretty fast. Bromated flour makes a dough that doesn't need a whole lot of time in the kneading process, but starting with a quick poolish probably cuts the time down even more. I don't like bromated flour myself, but I will say that it sounds like you've got a very practical way of using it.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2022, 02:25:35 PM »

IMO
You can definitely waste money if you settle on using them religiously and don't bother exploring any other options. They're like any other tomatoes; sometimes they're great and sometimes they're not. Finding any one brand whose product is consistently good most of the time is challenging, whether they're SM or not. My favorites are Mutti pelati. They're Italian, but not SM.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!