A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Yeast confusion  (Read 453 times)

Offline PaPawsPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Yeast confusion
« on: March 29, 2022, 03:48:54 PM »
Confused over yeast proportions.
I'm new a pizza making and have had some success with direct dough. I understand the amount of yeast to be used depends on baker's proportions, ferment times, etc. But, why do two similar recipes for four 250g pizzas (Neopolitan using poolish) differ so much in yeast quantities?  For instance, one recipe calls for 0.6g of ADY, while a popular dough calculator calls for 2.5g ADY. Also, do you put all the yeast into the poolish?

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
Re: Yeast confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 04:02:21 PM »
One recipe is meant for extended ferment while the other is meant for a same day or shorter  ferment.
Poolish normally has yeast, but not all preferments have yeast. Some will refer to unyeasted poolish as a soaker. Some ask for small amt. of yeast in the preferment, plus more yeast when other ingredients are incorporated. All of these variables are directly related to disired outcome for individual  circumstances.
You really have to experiment wih all accessible resources in your given environment to achieve what you enjoy or can manage on a personal level.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 04:12:11 PM »
It would be helpful to see the two recipes and workflows or links to them.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline PaPawsPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 04:20:44 PM »
I was looking for a decent recipe for a first attempt at using poolish and became confused. Does 300g flour / 300g water / 0.6g ADY for poolish. And, 330g flour / 70g water / 14g salt for the dough seem reasonable? I’ll be proofing the poolish for 10 hours and room temp. and proofing the entire dough for an additional 10 hours. I found this one at: https://mypizzacorner.com/pizza-dough/easy-poolish-pizza-dough-recipe-neapolitan-poolish-pizza/

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 04:28:25 PM »
It's hard to comment without seeing both workflows. It could be that the length of time in poolish, the length in time after the poolish is added. Some recipes call for all the yeast in to poolish, and some split the yeast and add some to the final dough.

I'd say follow the recipe, see what happens, then tweak from there.

There are very few folks here making Neapolitan using a poolish, and I can't remember ever doing it myself, so not a lot of advice I can give.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 08:55:24 PM »
Sorry that I'm late to the party..

Just off the cuff, that seems like a high amount of yeast for a poolish..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »
It's hard to comment without seeing both workflows. It could be that the length of time in poolish, the length in time after the poolish is added. Some recipes call for all the yeast in to poolish, and some split the yeast and add some to the final dough.

I'd say follow the recipe, see what happens, then tweak from there.

There are very few folks here making Neapolitan using a poolish, and I can't remember ever doing it myself, so not a lot of advice I can give.

After buying the Pizza Bible a few years ago, I tried using a poolish for Neapolitan as he suggested to see what all the fuss was about. I really loved the results so I've been using one since. His poolish calls for a very tiny amount of yeast in a 50/50 flour/water ratio and fermented for 18 hours at RT. I still do a 2-day CF the following day after adding it to the dough. The majority of the yeast is added later with the main dough.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 02:32:52 PM »
I was looking for a decent recipe for a first attempt at using poolish and became confused. Does 300g flour / 300g water / 0.6g ADY for poolish. And, 330g flour / 70g water / 14g salt for the dough seem reasonable? I’ll be proofing the poolish for 10 hours and room temp. and proofing the entire dough for an additional 10 hours. I found this one at: https://mypizzacorner.com/pizza-dough/easy-poolish-pizza-dough-recipe-neapolitan-poolish-pizza/

I agree with amolapizza. That seems like a high amount of poolish. In comparison, the one I use has 47 g of flour in the poolish for 453 g of flour in the main dough. That's difference of 10% poolish compared to around 88% in the one you cited.

Also, if the last photo on that page under Recipe Notes are the results, I'd stay far away from that recipe. It looks very spongy and undercooked.

Offline PaPawsPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 04:46:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply! Are you saying the poolish percentage is too great, or the amount of yeast is too much? The yeast amount is only .6g in the poolish, with no additional added yeast in the dough. I've made several batches of dough using it and even a couple of small loaves of bread and it seems to be working fine.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 06:32:57 PM »
Rereading I see that I might have misunderstood, but I just reacted to the 0.6g of ADY for the poolish.

To put things into perspective I just made a poolish using 125g flour, 125g of water, and 0.2g of fresh cake yeast.  0.2g of fresh yeast would by normal conventions be approximately the equivalent of 0.08g of ADY.. 

That poolish will spend the night on the kitchen counter and be finished for use in about 12 hours.  I'm no expert but I think that's a fairly traditional poolish.  If I were to use more yeast it would be ready to use far too early, or I'd have to refrigerate it in order to retard the fermentation.

Edit: The right moment to use the poolish is when it's bubbly and has just peaked in volume and begins to fall.  Of course one would have to adjust the amount of yeast used and/or the time used to preferment the poolish depending on the ambient temperature.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 06:35:57 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 07:07:51 PM »
Thanks for your reply! Are you saying the poolish percentage is too great, or the amount of yeast is too much? The yeast amount is only .6g in the poolish, with no additional added yeast in the dough. I've made several batches of dough using it and even a couple of small loaves of bread and it seems to be working fine.

From my perspective and experience using poolish with Neapolitan dough, the amount of poolish compared to the main dough is very high.