A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cooking in a Gozney Dome  (Read 253 times)

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
Cooking in a Gozney Dome
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:19:52 PM »
Recently purchased a Gozney Dome and have done a few wood fired runs, as well as one using gas.

I lean mostly toward NY style or cracker and I've had great success using my 1/2" steel in my home oven, but for some reason every single pizza I've made in the Dome has a floppy and pale undercarriage - same recipes as indoor oven. Usually the built in thermometer is running between 600-700 with a 4-5 min bake...I haven't temped the actual stone, but I always preheat for at least 30 min.

What am I doing wrong and can anyone give me advice on steps to get a better outcome? Thank you!

Offline ira

• Supporting Member
  • I cook Pizza! Currently using a Gozney Dome
Re: Cooking in a Gozney Dome
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 11:49:45 PM »
You need an infrared thermometer. On mine those number are quite different with the infrared reading much cooler. Not sure 1/2 hour is enough time to warm up. And it's easy to get way more top heat than bottom heat if you're not careful.

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:54:03 PM »
Hey Ira,

Have the infrared, but have been so used to not needing it on the indoor oven that I haven't temped the actual deck.

You're definitely right about the top cooking! The top is generally cooked pretty well at the 5 min mark... Would be perfect if I could get the bottom to sync up!

Offline kyk65

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 08:54:35 AM »
Hey, for the dome, aside from the dough recipe itself, at least 725~750F for the floor will get you coloring and cook you're looking for. Also make sure your IR gun is correct. I have 2 of them because one only reads up to 750F and but the one that reads 900F + is inaccurate (off by 30~40 degrees). Easy to check, just temp something at room temperature or in your fridge.

In my experience, 30 minutes is plenty to preheat the oven, the floor isn't that thick so the floor temperature fluctuates a lot depending how hot the fire is. Check my thread to see the log size I used to get a good bake.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T