A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why I lost interest in the pizzamaking hobby  (Read 3854 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Why I lost interest in the pizzamaking hobby
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2021, 10:15:52 AM »
No, sorry, you can not post pictures like that and not give details of the hard tail upon which you ride. Won’t have it😇

I'm riding my favorite bike, a Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert. After 20 years of riding a hard tail MTB I went full suspension this year with a Trek Supercaliber 9.8 GX, both are lots of fun!

What do you ride?
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
Why I lost interest in the pizzamaking hobby
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2021, 12:13:49 PM »
I make pizza and brew my own beer. Dangerous let me tell you. I also love to throw big parties at the house. Lots of food and booze. I was up to 335! In the last year ive been working out 4 times a week and eating right most of the week. Down to 285 and definitely stronger. Last weekend i made 15 pizzas for guests and drank nearly 5 gallons of brew. I ate and drank as i wanted , but the rest of the week i am fairly strict with diet and workout. You can still have it just not every day, actually makes you appreciate it more , to me at least
+1

I am also a homebrewer and pizza fan. On a recent Dr visit I had some red numbers. So… I began controlling carbs below 50 grams daily. I am now below my driver’s license weight and my Dr was thrilled on a followup. All numbers back in the black.

I have now begun adding a few more carbs back in (~75 daily): pizza and beer have been included but held to a minimum. I used to drink two-three beers a day as well as pasta, potatoes, bread, rice, sugar, etc.

I began lowering OG and using Brutzyme to get FG down so I get ABV without as many carbs.

Now I choose carefully and have been maintaining. I eat two or three slices occasionally — even baked one of my own recently — and a beer or two a few times a week.  No sugar.
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »
I'm riding my favorite bike, a Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert. After 20 years of riding a hard tail MTB I went full suspension this year with a Trek Supercaliber 9.8 GX, both are lots of fun!

What do you ride?
Hans,

I read an article recently that compared the benefits of bicycling and fast walking (defined as about 130 steps per minute), and gave a slight benefit to bicycling, including longevity. What I am curious to know is whether there is a practical age limit to bicycling. As a walker in my neighborhood for many years, I almost never see old people walking, and many who do are dog walkers. To date, the oldest walker that I have met is 84. He is currently walking but his pace is not high. But he otherwise looks to be in pretty good shape. Apart from him, there are about 10 persons in my neighborhood, men and women, who are in their 80s and 90s. But none of them are serious walkers. And I have never seen any of them on bicycles ;D.

Also, do you take any supplements or any special dietary measures to help maintain the parts of your body that go through the rigors of bicycling?

Peter

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2021, 01:39:44 PM »
I like the beard!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2021, 02:54:47 PM »
Hans,

I read an article recently that compared the benefits of bicycling and fast walking (defined as about 130 steps per minute), and gave a slight benefit to bicycling, including longevity. What I am curious to know is whether there is a practical age limit to bicycling. As a walker in my neighborhood for many years, I almost never see old people walking, and many who do are dog walkers. To date, the oldest walker that I have met is 84. He is currently walking but his pace is not high. But he otherwise looks to be in pretty good shape. Apart from him, there are about 10 persons in my neighborhood, men and women, who are in their 80s and 90s. But none of them are serious walkers. And I have never seen any of them on bicycles ;D.

Also, do you take any supplements or any special dietary measures to help maintain the parts of your body that go through the rigors of bicycling?

Peter

Peter, some of my riding is on Rail Trails, which are relatively flat. I do see a lot of people that appear to be much older than me out walking and some on bicycles too on the Rail Trails. In the 36 mile race in the photo there were 37 of us in the 66+ group out of 3,500 riders total. My weekly goal is 100 miles.

The only supplement I take is Iron at 80% RDA. Otherwise I eat SD bread with fresh milled wheat every day and pizza at least once a week. Mostly I just eat salads, salmon a couple times a week, meat a few times a month.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2021, 05:47:45 PM »
Old folks on bikes, it's a painful fall if things go wrong. Walking is a lot easier. In my case we have limited safe biking areas that are somewhat flat without having to put bike on car to get to. That's why I walk mostly, plus bike riding position kills my lower back.

We have some active 90+ walkers in my neighborhood and they move pretty well. They also don't look like 90+.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2021, 06:41:37 PM »
I neglected the exercise bit for about 20 years before my recent retirement.
50+ hours a week at work will do that to ya.
But I got one of my bikes out of the shed a couple weeks ago and pumped up the tyres and greased the chain.
This one is quite tall, and I am finding it a little challenging to swing a leg over the saddle.

Went on an organised ride the other day.
Wasn't at the back of the pack. Wasn't at the front.
Still, managed to get the pulse rate and the breathing up.

Riding around the "I wish I was a 1%er, I've bought all the Harley branded clothes and boots, and I have every Screaming Eagle piece of kitsch they ever made, and the bike is as loud as I can get it, why can't I be a badass biker?" Harley riders as they wallow around the corners in the Gorge will do that for you. ;D :-D

Mick

Offline Pizzalogy

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2021, 05:54:44 AM »
I lost interest in pizza making years ago because I just couldn't get my NY styles pies to taste like the ones you actually get in New York even after putting in a lot of effort (or what seemed like a lot of effort at the time). They looked great but just never tasted right. I got frustrated and gave up on the whole thing.

However I am giving it another go now and this time I have the benefit of an Ooni pizza oven as well as being lucky enough to live near one of Joe's new locations. Having Joe's is what brought back my pizza obsession and the added benefit is that now I don't have to feel as rigidly constrained by the NY style since if I am ever craving an NY style pie to bring me back to my childhood I can always go to Joe's and I can focus on my making my pizzas taste as good as possible without needing them to taste exactly like the pizzas of my childhood since I can get those at Joe's.

Back on topic since Joe's opened here 2 years ago I've eaten an average of 1.5 18 inch pies per week. The key is exercise. For most of that time, I've had a pretty physical job which allows me to work up an appetite and burn off the carbs. If I don't exercise, I don't get hungry. I also don't eat white sugar or drink soda. I drink mostly spring water and fruit juice mixed with sparking water but only at meals. Rest of the time it's just water for me and I don't snack.

Basically, you just have to make room for pizza. You can't have everything in life. You can't have a pizza, 3 donuts, snacks throughout the day, soda and a few beers and expect not to gain weight. But you can choose one of these pleasures if you are willing to go without the others. I choose pizza.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:56:33 AM by Pizzalogy »

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2021, 06:49:18 PM »
You can't have everything in life. You can't have a pizza, 3 donuts, snacks throughout the day, soda and a few beers and expect not to gain weight. But you can choose one of these pleasures if you are willing to go without the others. I choose pizza.
Exactly.
Mick

Offline Betth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2022, 10:25:22 PM »
As many have written here, pizza made me gain weight. Not only pizza, of course, but nevertheless, all pastries have a bad effect on me. I also went to the doctor, who prescribed me a rather rigid diet and I had to stop cooking for a while. I had to introduce regular workouts into my life - mostly cardio on a treadmill, it helped me but it was exyremely hard, and sometimes did full-body exercises. After I got better, I realized that my passion for homemade pizza faded a bit. I still love to cook it for my family and it makes me happy that they enjoy delicious food.

Offline Swinger-mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2022, 06:39:45 AM »
Interesting topic, how have I missed this.

Its very simple though, you have to burn more calories than you eat, in fact it doesnt really matter what you eat as long you burn more.

Its obviously harder staying full for a long time on simple carbs rather than something like rolled oats etc. your bloodsugar spikes will be crazy on pizza, so thats not ideal.

Whats the solution? be active and work out, get on a low calorie high protein diet for the most part of the week, introduce some fasting and and save up calories where you can.

My usual routine is doing fasted cardio 5 times a week for 30-60 minutes every morning after waking up and weights for around 1h in the evening, eating around 2200 calories spread to 4 meals.
I'll enjoy myself then on the weekends and eat what I like, mostly pizza of course, actually always pizza and a few other restaurant visits where i try to eat something that sort of fits the diet, steak, grilled meats or even burgers etc.

I gain fat pretty easy but if you stay discplined you can have both and believe me after you restricted yourself all week, your pizzas taste 10 times better... that makes me think, perhaps my pizzas are actaully shite and I am just very hungy :-D :-D

Cant help myself but showing off a little, but it can be done if you put in the work.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2022, 10:04:18 AM »
Wow...nice work, Mike.
Lot of wheat on this board,  but you bring the 'shredded'  :)

Now we need to know about the 'swinger' part  >:D

Offline Swinger-mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2022, 11:59:21 AM »
Wow...nice work, Mike.
Lot of wheat on this board,  but you bring the 'shredded'  :)

Now we need to know about the 'swinger' part  >:D

Hahaha. actually no.

Near where I live is a swinger-club, and the owner is called Mike aka Swinger-Mike, about 7-8 years ago he offered a friend of mine a dj gig but he said he couldnt be part of the "action" if he worked there, so he was all mad about it and I just found it well funny.

I wish he told me a different story the day before i signed up to the forum....

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 01:15:05 PM by Swinger-mike »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2022, 12:15:22 PM »
I love that :-D :-D :-D

Offline PizzaboyTroy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2022, 09:00:32 AM »
I think it comes down to your "why?" behind the pizzamaking, beyond the health aspects and living a life that is balanced with adequate nutrition and physical activity.

Also, like many others mentioned, you can make pizza sparingly and still consider it a hobby. If I made pizza 3-4 times a week, my family would ixnay me!

But going back to the why: do you love the process? Is it the taste of the pies? A combination of both? Why do (did?) you love slinging pizza?

For me, I LOVE cooking for people, full-stop. I'm 31-years-old and I didn't start cooking until I was 21. I barely knew how to use a microwave before that point. First time I ever operated a indoor home oven, I burned a cheap, frozen Tombstone pizza because I didn't understand the implications of the word 'broiler' and its quick functions. My how far I've come.

But I just genuinely love cooking for people. It's a wonderful expression of love. If I only had myself to cook for, I would eat an incredibly bland diet.

I live in rural Virginia. We have a Pizza Hut. The other pizza places here are both mediocre and enjoy charging egregious prices for said mediocre pizza. I have to drive an hour away just to find a decent pizza spot (and it's great -- guy who runs it is from Chicago and they feature incredible tavern and deep dish pies). I'm still a pizza newbie after a couple of years, but I love learning more and more as often as I can.

I stay physically active and personally love intermittent fasting as a habit. Definitely don't look like Swinger-Mike (dude's a beast!) but not too shabby in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2022, 11:01:13 AM »
The friend who taught me how to make pizza told me that when he learned how, he made pizza every day for 5 years.

He also says the ability to make pizza is a superpower.
The man's job is to make decisions. The woman's job is to criticize them.

Sicilian pizza is Godzilla. Thin pizza is Japan.

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2022, 06:07:10 PM »
I love pizza, but my wife isnt a real fan. So I only make it about once a month. Because I like to try different toppings and sauces, I will usually make 5 or 6 at a time, and make them over a few days. Since my wife will only have a couple slices, I  usually eat the rest. After that many pies I usually don't want to have any more for several weeks. I can make a pizza pig of myself and still not feel like I am "overdoing it" in the long term.
I also like to bicycle, which helps to burn off those calorirs. I feel like biking and pizza are natural companions!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »

I also like to bicycle, which helps to burn off those calorirs. I feel like biking and pizza are natural companions!

^^^

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2022, 06:53:37 AM »
I do agree with the OP (who is still around and apparently making pizza) that it’s a slippery slope participating in a forum around high calorie food. i like to read old threads and have noticed an awful lot of members posting something like “on doctor’s orders, i’ve decided to give up pizza”.   

As such, I’ve been careful to not bake more than twice a month and keep detailed track of my weight and exercise. Doing so has helped me lose about seven pounds since joining the forum. I like to tell people eating pizza has helped me lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle. :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 06:58:29 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline elephant man

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2022, 03:43:17 AM »
I love making pizza because it puts smiles on peoples faces. I make about 50 pizzas a month and eat maybe 2 slices. The ability to take pizza to a high level and give it to the people you love for free is the best way I can think of to show them you love them. I'll be making pizzas in my office on Monday Oct 3,22 and it will be all the buzz because I came back from overseas last Friday and my employees haven't had a really good pie for the last 4 months.
I should have my PizzaMaster oven this month and that should be fun, In the meantime the Turbo Chef holds down the fort like the Alamo, only with no lives lost.

E-man, I was actually going to buy an Elephant in Bangkok 25 years ago for $5,000.00. Once I realized how much they eat every day, I passed on that.