A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnatis Deep Dish Sauce Series  (Read 575 times)

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Malnatis Deep Dish Sauce Series
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 10:57:04 AM »
It may also be helpful to reference how the tomatoes are applied. Here's a video that I posted in here a while back, from Travel Thirsty: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=70408.msg676050#msg676050
I watched that video not long ago. I can't even imagine doing that sausage application process for long. I'm not fast at it, and it would cramp the hell out of my hands.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 10:30:17 PM »
Pythonic - your message box is full.  Wanted to send you something

Offline Anchovy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 03:02:36 PM »
I've heard Marc Malnati himself say repeatedly that their sauce is just tomatoes, no seasoning. I imagine they might still use a little salt, and they might finish their pies with a sprinkling of something. But this really is a no brainer. Just a good quality whole tomato, crushed by hand but not crushed too small, plus the puree they're packed in. I think it's as simple as what's shown in this video:

I saw marc do a similar presentation in the parking lot of a Bears game. All the same points. Hand crush, whole tomatoes. What kind of tomatoes? San Marzano Style is just crappy tomatoes with a basil leaf thrown in the can. In most Italian markets you can get imported 3 liter cans of real San Marzano tomatoes for the same price as grocery stores sell regular tomatoes. They last a while in the can. Make the trip (Caputos all over Chicagoland is my choice), you'll taste the difference. Drain em, hand squish em, apply them liberally, enjoy them.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 11:05:23 PM »
I saw marc do a similar presentation in the parking lot of a Bears game. All the same points. Hand crush, whole tomatoes. What kind of tomatoes? San Marzano Style is just crappy tomatoes with a basil leaf thrown in the can. In most Italian markets you can get imported 3 liter cans of real San Marzano tomatoes for the same price as grocery stores sell regular tomatoes. They last a while in the can. Make the trip (Caputos all over Chicagoland is my choice), you'll taste the difference. Drain em, hand squish em, apply them liberally, enjoy them.
I agree that the "San Marzano style" tomatoes are way too often overpriced and no better than decent quality American brands (I find the Hunt's brand product in particular to be total garbage), but I rarely find actual San Marzanos to be up with the best in my opinion. I don't understand why people think all Italian tomatoes have to be of that variety  to be good anyway. Mutti pelati are my top pick, and I also highly recommend Cento all purpose crushed tomatoes, although I've never been hugely wowed by the rest of their product line. Those are not San Marzanos, and I love them. I tried Famoso brand San Marzanos at $5/#10 can from a GFS store in my town, and I thought the value was good, but I wasn't blown away with them, either. I will say that they took a seasoning well and did seem to taste better the second day, but they were far from my favorites. I try to visit Chicago once or twice a year, but I've never heard of Caputo's. I went to Eataly the last time I was there just about three weeks ago, and good god their prices are even higher than I remember. I would really like to find a more affordable place to shop for Italian import foods when I'm there, so I'll keep that place in mind.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Anchovy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 09:56:29 AM »
I agree that the "San Marzano style" tomatoes are way too often overpriced and no better than decent quality American brands (I find the Hunt's brand product in particular to be total garbage), but I rarely find actual San Marzanos to be up with the best in my opinion. I don't understand why people think all Italian tomatoes have to be of that variety  to be good anyway. Mutti pelati are my top pick, and I also highly recommend Cento all purpose crushed tomatoes, although I've never been hugely wowed by the rest of their product line. Those are not San Marzanos, and I love them. I tried Famoso brand San Marzanos at $5/#10 can from a GFS store in my town, and I thought the value was good, but I wasn't blown away with them, either. I will say that they took a seasoning well and did seem to taste better the second day, but they were far from my favorites. I try to visit Chicago once or twice a year, but I've never heard of Caputo's. I went to Eataly the last time I was there just about three weeks ago, and good god their prices are even higher than I remember. I would really like to find a more affordable place to shop for Italian import foods when I'm there, so I'll keep that place in mind.

There are about 7 angelo caputo italian markets in the near western and nwestern subs of chicago. Very Italian and very reasonable prices. I could never hang with you. My credit check didn't even allow me to enter Eataly. That place is for woke yuppies, not me.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »
Check with your specific store, but Jewel has the "Signature SELECT Tomatoes Special Cut San Marzano Style - 28 Oz" on sale RIGHT NOW for $1.50 per can.
These are california grown tomatoes, which I would say are the closest thing you're going to get to the Lou Malnati's tomatoes.
-- Ed Heller - aka VCB (virtual cheeseburger)
-- Real Deep Dish Dot Com
https://www.realdeepdish.com/
https://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
https://www.twitter.com/RDDpizza

** Help Me Pay the Bills **
https://paypal.me/edheller
https://cash.app/realdeepdish (or use the CashApp mobile app)

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
https://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2021, 10:48:30 AM »
There are about 7 angelo caputo italian markets in the near western and nwestern subs of chicago. Very Italian and very reasonable prices. I could never hang with you. My credit check didn't even allow me to enter Eataly. That place is for woke yuppies, not me.
I went there a couple of years ago and I was able to afford more. After this year's visit, I don't really plan on ever going there again. Their prices are just absurd, and now you can't even go up to the counter and order pizza slices; you have to sit down and be waited on. Screw that. I never go to the suburbs when I visit, so I doubt I'd ever be in the right area to hit any of those stores. But maybe.