A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 5-Minute Plain New York on Steel  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
Re: 5-Minute Plain New York on Steel
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2022, 09:40:43 PM »
Dropped the malt to 1%. Pizza stays super light, flavorful, and crispy at 48 hour CT and the crust features some nice blistering. Baked at 585 F on 1/4” steel. 6 minutes.

Made two 15” pizzas. 420 grams of dough, per pizza. One pizza is half Grande East Coast blend and half fresh mozzarella topped with basil post bake. One pizza made with Mooliss mozzarella (they are sending free samples on request) topped with dried oregano and light seasoning.

The vegan pizza was pretty…different. Oddly enough the consistency was super close to Provel cheese used on St. Louis style pizza (Imo’s, Cecil Whittaker’s). If you cut it with real mozz, it could be a pretty interesting substitute for folks looking to clone.

Good vegan option, I think, for those looking. :)

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2022, 12:25:06 PM »
On the subject of diastatic malt, I haven’t found any drawback to using pure barley malt (210 degrees Lintner). Even at what would be considered very high usage, it performs well, and does not have significant detrimental impact to dough consistently or handling. The dough it produces features complex flavors, browns wonderfully, and delivers an exceptional crumb and crispness.

It does appear to create a softer dough for room temperature fermentations beyond 24-hours, but for cold fermentation, no change to dough consistency is evident. (I have far less experience with long RT fermentation, so pinch of salt with my notes here - it may be pizza “placebo effect” at work).

I’ve also looked at major brands that use the “low” label, and it appears most, if not all of them, are achieving the lower Lintner rating, not through a unique grain or milling process. Instead, they are adding fillers, typically wheat flour and dextrose to cut the malted barley.

For me, this means, pure barley malt is the better option, and to achieve the same results in a recipe that calls for low diastatic malt, you’ll simply use less of the pure ingredient.

When digging in a bit deeper on the Breadtopia malt, I also found that they don’t produce it. They are buying in bulk from Briess - a company that’s been producing specialty malts for about 150 years - and then repackaging for home bakers.

Given that most recipes call for very small amounts of diastatic malt, this is a pretty pedantic exercise, but given that many of us are intentionally hand selecting every other ingredient to achieve specific results, I thought it was an interesting experiment to run a few times.

Cheers!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2022, 03:36:30 PM »
I’ve also looked at major brands that use the “low” label, and it appears most, if not all of them, are achieving the lower Lintner rating, not through a unique grain or milling process. Instead, they are adding fillers, typically wheat flour...

I know. Don't you just hate that wheat flour in your pizza dough   :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2022, 03:48:57 PM »
I know. Don't you just hate that wheat flour in your pizza dough   :-D

I’m working on flourless pizza next!

Definitely deep in the weeds, but does seem strange to me to pay a premium for flour and sugar when you could be buying a much higher quality ingredient for less money.

Why not just buy barley malt with no filler? To your point, you already have wheat flour and don’t need the sugar (and presumably have that on hand if you want to include it).

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2022, 03:58:37 PM »
I like 0.2% of 20 degree. The amount of additional ingredients in negligible. and the difference in cost wouldn't even amount to pennies. Given that, I like the easier to measure option.

The highest I've tried is 2% of 20 degree and it made the dough significantly sticky in RT fermentations beyond 6 hours or so.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2022, 04:07:26 PM »
I like 0.2% of 20 degree. The amount of additional ingredients in negligible. and the difference in cost wouldn't even amount to pennies. Given that, I like the easier to measure option.

The highest I've tried is 2% of 20 degree and it made the dough significantly sticky in RT fermentations beyond 6 hours or so.

Nice. To each their own!

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2022, 04:35:30 PM »
Same dough as yesterday with an additional 18-hours in the fridge for 90-hours of cold temperature fermentation at 35 degrees Fahrenheit following a 6-hour bulk at 72.

60% hydration. 3% salt. 2% oil. 1% diastatic malt. .6 grams Caputo Lievito yeast.

Baked at 585 degrees on 1/4” steel preheated to 615. Cook time was five minutes total, with the first two under the broiler.

Flour blend is KA Sir Lancelot (88%), Cairnspring Mills organic T85 bread flour (6%), and Caputo Semola Rimacinata (5%).

Cheese is Grande East Coast Blend. Tomatoes are very finely milled and salted Alta Cucina, with a very small amount of Calabrian oregano and extra virgin olive oil.

Nothing on this pizza post bake. Plain as they come. Strange shot of a mostly eaten slice in there because I’m odd and I though it was a nice shot of the thin crisp crust and small blistering this dough delivers.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 04:39:41 PM by Cheazy E »

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2022, 04:45:56 PM »
Messed around with some low moisture buffalo mozzarella from Annabella.

Eating it on its own, I was worried it would be too mild, but it performed very well and the high fat and milky flavor complimented the tomato sauce nicely.

I compared the nutrition facts with Grande and the salt content was much lower, so I added a light sprinkle of sea salt just prior to the bake.

Turned out great, but I don’t think it’s worth the price and the difference isn’t significant enough to recommend unless you really just want to tinker with ingredient options.

Cheers!

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2022, 05:11:52 PM »
I just caught up on this thread, you make a beautiful pizza!

Matt

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2022, 05:27:26 PM »
I just caught up on this thread, you make a beautiful pizza!

Thanks much and back at ya! I was going super thin with my sauce after reading (and drooling over) your posts.

Back to thicker, chunkier now, though. Mostly out of laziness and to lower the danger levels on launch. :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2022, 01:40:16 PM »
Nice!

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2022, 04:24:33 PM »
Same dough with another 24 hours at 35 degrees. Steel was hitting about 635 degrees on the surface. Launched and ran the broiler on high for two minutes and retrieved the pizza at the four and a half minute mark.

The steel really delivers at this temp. The crispy outer crust is remarkably thin and the interior remains nice and light.

Dough ball for this 16” pizza was 423 grams. Went heavy on sauce and cheese. Extra full ladle of Tomato Magic - I’d guess seven ounces. Used my remaining low moisture buffalo mozzarella from yesterday, guessing about 7 ounces there. Pretty tasty!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:27:08 PM by Cheazy E »

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2022, 04:25:28 PM »
Nice!

Thanks, Craig! I’m pretty happy with where I’m landing.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2022, 09:52:51 PM »
Those most recent pies look better than most you will find in NY!

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2022, 10:14:12 PM »
Those most recent pies look better than most you will find in NY!

Thanks for the compliment, Scott! It’s such a fun hobby and pizza people are super generous with their recipes, methods, and workflows.

Offline h3o

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2022, 09:07:58 PM »
Same dough with another 24 hours at 35 degrees. Steel was hitting about 635 degrees on the surface. Launched and ran the broiler on high for two minutes and retrieved the pizza at the four and a half minute mark.

All of your pies look freakin amazing! I hope you continue to share : )

Question about your bake -- when you say you launch the pizza then run the broiler on high for two minutes and retrieve at 4.5 minutes... you essentially start the whole process by setting your oven to 'bake' at max temp for the pre-heat, but then you switch to broiler mode as soon as you put the pizza in (in my oven this would turn off 'bake'), and then after 2 mins you turn broiler off (and don't turn 'bake' back on) so it's just all residual heat finishing the bake for the last 2.5 mins.. is this correct? If not, could you clarify?

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2022, 03:52:39 PM »
All of your pies look freakin amazing! I hope you continue to share : )

Question about your bake -- when you say you launch the pizza then run the broiler on high for two minutes and retrieve at 4.5 minutes... you essentially start the whole process by setting your oven to 'bake' at max temp for the pre-heat, but then you switch to broiler mode as soon as you put the pizza in (in my oven this would turn off 'bake'), and then after 2 mins you turn broiler off (and don't turn 'bake' back on) so it's just all residual heat finishing the bake for the last 2.5 mins.. is this correct? If not, could you clarify?

Thanks for the kind words! I do switch back to standard bake after the initial two minute broil.

Bake for the preheat. Broil for the first two minutes. Back to bake to finish the pizza. 

Offline 9slicePie

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2022, 05:17:25 PM »
Same dough as yesterday with an additional 18-hours in the fridge for 90-hours of cold temperature fermentation at 35 degrees Fahrenheit following a 6-hour bulk at 72.

60% hydration. 3% salt. 2% oil. 1% diastatic malt. .6 grams Caputo Lievito yeast.

Baked at 585 degrees on 1/4” steel preheated to 615. Cook time was five minutes total, with the first two under the broiler.

Flour blend is KA Sir Lancelot (88%), Cairnspring Mills organic T85 bread flour (6%), and Caputo Semola Rimacinata (5%).

Cheese is Grande East Coast Blend. Tomatoes are very finely milled and salted Alta Cucina, with a very small amount of Calabrian oregano and extra virgin olive oil.

Nothing on this pizza post bake. Plain as they come. Strange shot of a mostly eaten slice in there because I’m odd and I though it was a nice shot of the thin crisp crust and small blistering this dough delivers.

The pizza in those pics look immaculate!

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2022, 06:20:58 PM »
The pizza in those pics look immaculate!

Thanks! I’m down to one bake a month, so I really gotta pamper these pizzas. ;)

Offline Cheazy E

• Make pizza. Eat pizza.
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2022, 08:58:10 PM »
Friday night pizza.

85% Caputo Americana blended with 15% Cairnspring Mills organic bread flour. 5 grams diastatic malt. 5 grams sugar. 5 grams oil. 1 gram IDY. 62% hydration.

15 ounce dough balls for 15” pizzas.

6 hours bulk rest at 66 degrees. 48 hours in the fridge at 35 degrees (though I suppose I could have left it outside).

5 ounces of Tomato Magic, seasoned with salt and Calabrian oregano. 7 ounces of Grande whole milk mozzarella. Field Roast Classic Pizzeria Plant-Based Pepperoni Slices (“Discover a World of Flavor!”). Grande parm/romano blend on the sauce and then up top after baking.

Cooked for five minutes on steel with the oven running at 575 for a 45 minute preheat. First two minutes under the broiler on high.

Caputo Americana made a far softer finished dough than KASL and produced both a slightly dryer exterior and a softer interior. More flop for sure. Good flavor, though, and I’m finally through the bag. Still have about 35 pounds of the KA, though, and I’m itching to play around with some 100% Cairnspring Mills blends, using their bread and AP flours. 

Either way, next month I’m gonna work with some poolish and head to flavor country after reading a bunch of new threads on it here.

Cheers!

wordpress