A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Surprising wife with Carbon…what else to order?  (Read 627 times)

Offline ur2ez22

• I Love Pizza!
Surprising wife with Carbon…what else to order?
« on: November 27, 2021, 12:06:56 AM »
My wife is a big pizza fan, and I’ve ordered her a Carbon pizza oven along with their tool kit for Christmas. We’ve done a couple of Scott’s pizza tours while on vacations in NYC (favorite restaurant there is Kesté), we love Pizzeria Bianco and Pomo where we used to live in AZ, but now we live in Montana and to say there aren’t great Neapolitan pizza options would be putting it mildly.

She’s very adept with baking, has a nice mixer, measuring weight scales, etc. and makes amazing cakes, has also been doing the sourdough thing for a couple years, but has never really tried quality pizzas. I’d like to get the supplies needed so she can hit the ground running Christmas Day, but can’t seem to find a simple thread for someone like me who knows nothing (lots of detailed threads by ingredient that I’m sure she’ll dive into after she opens the gift).

I know she’ll want to start out with a classic Margherita pizza. Any chance someone could please list out the ingredients and where I can find them online (if possible) to get her started please? Flours, yeasts, cheeses, sauces, oils…I think I’ll have to order pretty much everything online if that’s possible given the limited grocery options we have (WinCo and Albertsons). I’m all for high quality ingredients too, within reason and shipping availability obviously. And if this type of thread already exists and I just didn’t find it in my searching, I’ll take no offense to a link - thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 12:16:25 AM by ur2ez22 »

Offline ebpizza

Re: Surprising wife with Carbon…what else to order?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 05:47:20 AM »
I’m sure she will be surprised by the gift! Let me know how that oven is. Hopefully you get a lot of replies here.

First off I’d recommend that she do a few trial runs before inviting over guests.  While you don’t need to use 00 flour you can easily find Caputo 00 Chef’s flour online. A good cheese to use and is nationally available is Polly-O Fior Di Latte Fresh Mozzarella Cheese. For olive oil, best that is within your budget and one that is favorable to your taste. As for salt I like to use fine grind Sicilian sea salt. Any active dried yeast is fine. Keep it simple at first so that the process doesn’t become discouraging. Given that you live in Montana, I would suspect that there are local flours to choose from. If you do, un-malted flour works best in a high temp oven. Like the olive oil, tomato selection is based on your budget and what taste best to you. Whatever you choose, be sure that it is whole peeled and then crush them by hand.

As for process, I like this explanation for traditional direct method Neapolitan

Hope is goes well, keep us updated
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:55:47 AM by ebpizza »

Offline nickyr

Surprising wife with Carbon…what else to order?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »
You need a pizza peel. I would recommend a wooden prep peel, a turning peel, and a metal peel for removing. You could get away with just a metal peel, but it will be a much steeper learning curve.

An infrared thermometer for taking the stone temperature is very useful. And so is an oven brush.

Get some semolina flour to dust the peel to help it slide off.

Don’t stress too much about the ingredients—they’re mostly a matter of taste, so you’ll have to experiment and see what you like. Any bread flour will do the trick. If you’re getting fresh mozzarella, don’t get Galbani. Belgioiso is fine, but you may be able to find something better. For tomatoes, starting with crushed is probably easiest. Pastene is good and reasonably easy to find. SMT is good. So is Bianco dinapoli. You can order Stanislaus / Jersey Fresh on Amazon, that’s my favorite. If you get tomatoes and think they’re boring, add a little red wine vinegar. I would recommend instant yeast over active because it’s easier.

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »
What about a book?  I suggest newbies start with The Pizza Bible to get some basic experience, and then use this site as questions come up during experimentation.
I like Ken Forkish’s pizza book as well, as it is super simple to get you started. I don’t think his methods work as well in a kitchen oven as he thinks they do, but you’re not using a regular kitchen oven.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 01:40:49 PM »
As Peter B said, The Pizza Bible book would be a good start.

As for ingredients, you should be able to find everything to create a "starter kit" at your local grocery store.
Bread Flour, Salt, Instant Dry Yeast, Pizza Sauce, and Cheese (mozzarella, provolone, or your choice).

I agree with Nickyr, you will need peels.  You will need to be able get the pizza in and out of the oven.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/  is a good source for pizza making tools.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 01:42:31 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 03:53:56 PM »
I like using a bench scraper for portioning dough balls from the full batch of dough. Good for scooping up a dough ball too. If she bakes a lot, she may already have one.

Offline ur2ez22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 04:18:47 PM »
Thank you for the quick replies everyone! The Carbon tool kit includes a launch peel, turning peel and cleaning brush although both peels are metal…I’ll get a wooden peel as well for preparing. Beyond that I now have the below list, figured I’ve seen the Caputo brand a few times and since they sell several of the ingredients on Amazon that would be a good “authentic” start before she starts tinkering on her own, unless people recommend otherwise? I’ll try to find one of those buffalo mozzarellas locally right before Christmas, but anything else stand out as missing?

- Caputo Chef’s flour (red bag?)
- Caputo Semola semolina flour
- Caputo active dry yeast
- Stanislaus whole peeled plum tomatoes can
- Victoria Taylor’s Trapani sea salt
- Papa Vince extra virgin unblended first cold pressed olive oil
- Infrared thermometer gun that goes up to 1080 F
- The Pizza Bible

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 04:47:53 PM »
Thank you for the quick replies everyone! The Carbon tool kit includes a launch peel, turning peel and cleaning brush although both peels are metal…I’ll get a wooden peel as well for preparing. Beyond that I now have the below list, figured I’ve seen the Caputo brand a few times and since they sell several of the ingredients on Amazon that would be a good “authentic” start before she starts tinkering on her own, unless people recommend otherwise? I’ll try to find one of those buffalo mozzarellas locally right before Christmas, but anything else stand out as missing?

- The Pizza Bible
I’m all for keeping things simple.  If you’re doing Neapolitan temperature bakes the semolina is very optional. Using your normal flour as bench flour will work.  Any brand of dry yeast will work; I wouldn’t pay extra for Caputo-branded.  Stanislaus tomatoes are fine, but they only come in large cans.  For Neapolitan pizza I’d track down Mutti whole peeled or Strianese (available at World Market). Fancy salt is great for finishing, but if it’s going into dough, basic kosher salt is fine.  Lastly, high quality olive oil is always lovely, but Da Michele uses flavorless “seed oil” which allows the tomato flavor to sing more. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline nickyr

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 06:01:09 PM »

- The Pizza Bible
Don’t use caputo semolina for dusting the peel—it’s too fine. Other semolinas, like bobs red mill, are much coarser, so the pizza slides better. Although it’s true as other posters mentioned you don’t need semolina, it is much easier, so I’d say it’s worth a few bucks.

I would also say you can skip caputo flour to keep the cost down, but their bags are pretty which might be worth something for a Christmas gift…

Offline ur2ez22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 08:12:09 PM »
Thank you both, exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. I made a couple substitutions, although it’s really only a dollar or two here and there for the most part (in case anyone else finds this thread valuable). But knowing things like the Red Mills is functionally better is key. I’m personally less concerned about a few bucks though, and am looking forward to her feeling engrossed in the overall gift and I know she’ll enjoy the process as well.

This mid probably a stupid question, but will she make the sauce out of the tomatoes? Or do I need to buy sauce in addition to the rest of this list?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 08:30:15 PM »
It's so kind of you to get your wife the Carbon and all of the accoutrements. Lucky woman. Her extensive baking background will serve her well in this endeavor. But this kind of baking presents new challenges that may take a little time and effort to master. I think the biggest "accessory" you can give is to encourage her to come to this forum with any questions she has. Our Christmas present to her will be to help in any way we can to shorten her learning curve. You both should feel free to post to this thread so you can get the most out of the Carbon. That's why this forum has thrived for so many years. Merry Christmas!

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 09:53:22 PM »

This mid probably a stupid question, but will she make the sauce out of the tomatoes? Or do I need to buy sauce in addition to the rest of this list?

The sauce is made from the tomatoes.  For Neapolitan it’s really simple.  Unsalted tomatoes need 3-4 grams of salt.  Stanislaus tomatoes already have enough salt IMO.  I like to add a basil leaf to the can if it doesn’t have it already.  That’s it.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 10:43:41 PM »
Bill/ SFNW
A very nice response, a board of helpful people aces any accessory you can buy!
Greg
A very patient wife, PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor, backup Ooni 16

Offline nickyr

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 10:51:58 PM »
The sauce is made from the tomatoes.  For Neapolitan it’s really simple.  Unsalted tomatoes need 3-4 grams of salt.  Stanislaus tomatoes already have enough salt IMO.  I like to add a basil leaf to the can if it doesn’t have it already.  That’s it.
Yup. You can add garlic, oregano, black pepper, cayenne, etc if you want. But you don’t need to. General idea is you can get better canned tomatoes than you can get canned tomato sauce. I would always just put straight canned tomatoes on a pizza as sauce rather than use a store bought sauce.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »
It's so kind of you to get your wife the Carbon and all of the accoutrements. Lucky woman. Her extensive baking background will serve her well in this endeavor. But this kind of baking presents new challenges that may take a little time and effort to master. I think the biggest "accessory" you can give is to encourage her to come to this forum with any questions she has. Our Christmas present to her will be to help in any way we can to shorten her learning curve. You both should feel free to post to this thread so you can get the most out of the Carbon. That's why this forum has thrived for so many years. Merry Christmas!

Bill basically beat me to it. I would going to recommend that the #1 thing to get her in addition to the oven is a realistic set of expectations. Frustration over not making perfect pizza the first time and thinking that a specialty flour will magically help you make better pizza cause more people to stop making pizza than anything else. The only path to great pizza is experience. That and error on the side of too much heat!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ur2ez22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
Thanks again everyone! I’m definitely expecting her to be zoned out half of Christmas reading threads on here, and with how helpful you all have been I know it’ll be worth her time to do so. After watching her learn to make fancy birthday cakes and all of the trial and error that goes into those (I’m talking fancy as in stuff you see on baking contest shows like functional remote control operated components, candy spilling out when cut open, molding chocolate pieces like train cars and art supplies, shooting flames, you name it), I know she’ll approach this with the necessary mentality but will be sure to reinforce it. I’ll recommend she starts with the local Montana Wheat Co. flour she already buys in huge bags (and I see listed in the flour page on this forum) for the first few pies, but I think the Caputo and other ingredients will help finish off the gift experience still.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:14:03 AM by ur2ez22 »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
A nice touch would be to buy a dough box and fill it up with all the goodies mentioned above.  Some cellophane wrap and a big bow and Robert's your father's brother.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »
The carbon oven is very forgiving. The burner design keeps the back from overheating the pizza. Plus 15 inches of work space allows a lot of room for placement. The carbon pizza oven stand looks pretty neat.
 Note the peel in the kit,if he front isn’t slightly beveled it will not slide easily under the pizza. You may have to file the front a little.the better peels like GI metal are ground down in the front. I scrape mine on a flat cement surface then clean it up with a file, clean and sterilize when done.

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 09:24:02 AM »
Pizza oven stand/cart - I see Carbon now offers one...otherwise the smaller Ooni cart is solid.
Dough Proofing box
I really like Caputo Super Nuvola flour or if you cannot find that, Pizzeria flour...but you'll likely try many before you find your favorite
A nice copper oil cruet (maybe next year) and some high quality olive oil
You won't need another peel other than the Carbon one - it does a fine job for launching and turning (although a turning peel is good to add later)
IR Temp gun is great
A pizza cutter...didn't think I'd like the large rocker blade style as much as I do!

The oven alone is great to get started....all the other stuff can come later.
Enjoy, I love mine!