A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Do you guys use a cooling rack for Neapolitan pizzas?  (Read 320 times)

Offline 9slicePie

Do you guys use a cooling rack for Neapolitan pizzas?
« on: June 22, 2022, 02:22:13 PM »
Placing the pizza on the cooling rack is done to prevent the undercrust from becoming soggy from the steam, correct?

But is this practice necessary for this style of pizza?  As far as I know, in Italy, Neapolitan pizzas are eaten with a knife and fork (assuming because of the floppiness/sogginess?).  In fact, the round pizza is even FOLDED* twice at times and eaten like that.

In addition, in essentially all of the videos I've seen of Neapolitan pizzas being taken out of the ovens in Italy, the pizzas are placed directly on a plate/serving tray; not on a cooling rack.

I know, I know: it's preference......    But to stay true to "true" Neapolitan fashion, I'm guessing it would be safe to say that a cooling rack shouldn't be used?

*Not a "NY-fold"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 10:22:01 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
Re: Do you guys use a cooling rack for Neapolitan pizzas?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 02:47:56 PM »
You make it how you like it. You are correct that in Naples, pies are not put on a cooling rack, but straight to a serving plate. Doesnít matter if itís cut or not, but IIRC you usually get it whole with a knife and fork.

The main characteristic of a neapolitan is that itís cooked fast, which means it wonít get crispy. If you dig in right away (as one should), the crust may have some crispiness, but not the bottom.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 03:24:10 PM »
The best moment a Neapolitan pizza ever has is when it's cooled just enough that it doesn't burn the skin off the top of your mouth, and it's all downhill from there.

IMO, using a cooling rack for NP would be devastating to quality. Serve immediately!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 03:51:29 PM »
I use a cooling rack but may stop. I think the cooling rack however is desirable for the ones I plan on freezing. Just a few seconds on the cooling rack may however be a good thing. So cool for 10-40 sec and then cut/serve immediately.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 04:19:27 PM »
Just slice and serve immediately. If I recall correctly, it must be served within 6 minutes to qualify as a Neapolitan pizza.
Mick

Offline lennyk

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 05:57:00 AM »
that's this thing with neo pies
you have to eat within a certain window of time, like any other pizza if you eat too early all you taste is hot cheese sticking in your teeth and tongue

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 08:44:05 AM »
Skip the rack. Not needed.  Ok call me a pizza nerd, but if Iím in a pizzeria with a wood oven,  I try to sit as close to oven as possible. Same with Chinese restaurant, sit close to the kitchen!

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 01:00:13 PM »
that's this thing with neo pies
you have to eat within a certain window of time, like any other pizza if you eat too early all you taste is hot cheese sticking in your teeth and tongue
Itís not like any other pizza. A neapolitan is cooked so fast that the sauce and all the toppings doesnít have time to get really hot. Itís not lukewarm, but not as hot as a pie baked for a longer time. I cook, cut and eat a neapolitan immediately without burning myself.

The sparse amount of sauce and toppings also means there is less water to store heat. In a pan pizza you got a lot more stuff on, where the bottom, toppings and cheese function as insulation for the sauce, keeping it hot for longer. The thin bottom on the neapolitan also doesnít do a very good job as insulator. If put on a room tempered plate, it will lead the heat away.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:01:48 PM by Heikjo »
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 10:06:49 PM »
Skip the rack. Not needed.  Ok call me a pizza nerd, but if Iím in a pizzeria with a wood oven,  I try to sit as close to oven as possible. Same with Chinese restaurant, sit close to the kitchen!

I notice vito iacopelli used a cooling rack at his restaurant and he was not the only one. Lost of places do

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 10:27:41 AM »
I notice vito iacopelli used a cooling rack at his restaurant and he was not the only one. Lost of places do

He did because he wanted to. I just donít think it is needed.  Btw I love watching his videos and look forward to them each week. He is a passionate guy about pizza and is attempting to make a living via pizza in a new way and you have to give him credit for that, even if you donít like his videos, methods or pizza.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:04:27 AM »

He did because he wanted to. I just donít think it is needed.  Btw I love watching his videos and look forward to them each week. He is a passionate guy about pizza and is attempting to make a living via pizza in a new way and you have to give him credit for that, even if you donít like his videos, methods or pizza.

Agreed.  Some people may not like him all that much, but one can still pick up a few pointers here and there from his videos.  Plus, they're kind of entertaining to watch.  And a big reason to watch his videos is to hear him say, "soft and CROWNSHY" !!!  ;D :P

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:41:33 PM »

Some places even deliver, ridiculous.