A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: April 2021 Monthly Challenge: Celebration!  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
April 2021 Monthly Challenge: Celebration!
« on: April 01, 2021, 10:40:10 PM »
Add an ingredient that elevates your pizza to something for a special occasion. Pizza must be baked this month.   

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: April 2021 Monthly Challenge: Celebration!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 07:25:21 PM »
Celebration! 2nd vaccine,  First ramps of 2021- 72hr SD, baked in the PP, parmesan crema, guanciale.....

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »
Add an ingredient that elevates your pizza to something for a special occasion. Pizza must be baked this month.   
Urfa Biber are dried Turkish pepper flakes, so tasty, definitely a specialty spice that gives your pizza a nice hot ,smoky, sweet flavor.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:50:55 AM »
Celebration! 2nd vaccine,  First ramps of 2021- 72hr SD, baked in the PP, parmesan crema, guanciale.....
Thatís a great theme and a good looking pizza.
-Tony

Offline SwietonM

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »
We had a stretch of beautiful days here in Connecticut, so my brother and I fired up the grill! I bought a little extra steak to make a cheesesteak pie - and to celebrate the first grilling of the season, Iíve made a pie that features some of that steak!

In addition to the steak, the pie is topped with smoked Gouda, sautťed onions, peppers, and drizzled with our fav steak sauce.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »
I'm celebrating the first time I've been able to visit the local farmers' market in over a year. Toppings from the farmers' market:

- cabbage
- black garlic
- shitake mushrooms
- green onions

Other toppings:

- olio nuovo 2020
- buffalo mozzarella
- pecorino romano
- caramelized onion
- pancetta
- ultimate umami seasoning powder (ChefSteps)

Sourdough (Austrian) 24-hour crust.
Baked in Carbon Kitchen.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 02:33:52 PM »
I have been waiting for a hot enough day to get the solar oven out for the original challenge request, but it has been extremely windy here on most of those days. Maybe next month....
Risa sin camisa, sinvergŁenza.

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 12:25:35 PM »
Special occasion is receiving my new Breadstone 950B on a trailer and embarking on an outdoor pizza cooking summer adventure. The special ingredient is humble low moisture mozz, which I never thought to try sliced on a WFO pie, but after seeing TxCraig mention it in an old thread I was stoked to try my favorite sliced cheese/sauce on top combo at a 90-second bake. Saputo Mozzeria and milled Tomato Magic, unseasoned.  Restaurant Depot basil and Trader Joeís parm.

The cheese slice actually ended up coming out somewhat reminiscent of the plain slices at Patsyís window, which is really something! Obviously there are some major differences in the baking situation, but with a bit of KAAP in my dough and some spelt and whole wheat, I had a soft, subtly flavorful 7-hour crust with some crisp texture from the char, and a mellow plain cheese and tomato flavor that just hit the spot all around. It was a feel-good pizza.

Next step is to finally get some newer yeast, up my weather-dependent proofing confidence, and push the fermentation a bit more. And to hit the farmerís markets for some nice produce!

Not only was I losing sunlight when these were taken, I realize just about everyone has a more advanced camera than me now. Special occasion is also therefore acknowledging when youíre ready for an upgrade in equipment and the difference it can make in taking a project seriously. Much thanks to Antoine at Breadstone on that point, and of course to all the members here for leaving so much information behind for others to learn from.

Bonus arugula topped veggie pie for further celebration.
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 09:16:59 PM »
Great looking pizza (and oven) wb. Have fun with it!

I didn't have a special occasion but this is a topping combo I read about some time ago on serious eats. Was meant for a Neapolitan  but I was making Detroits tonight. Mortadella under the cheese and pistachio bits in oil for the stripes. It was good, maybe a little salty, but still good. Felt fancy enough for a special occasion.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 05:44:50 PM »
Awesome pies!

Jon, how'd you achieve that bottom? Looks like the fried crisp I'm looking for.

Matt

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 06:24:48 PM »
Awesome pies!

Jon, how'd you achieve that bottom? Looks like the fried crisp I'm looking for.
Thanks!

The pans are the seasoned pans from DetroitStylePizza.com. I give them a coating of shortening the same way you'd butter a cake pan. This is the Hans Detroit Style My Way post 115 dough. Made it late Thursday night. Once the dough was panned I put it in the fridge. Gave it about 2 hours at room temp before topping and cooking. Cooked at 500 because that's as hot as my kitchen oven goes. Middle of the oven for 11-12 minutes.

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 10:03:27 AM »
 ^^^ That bottom looks like itís out of a textbook.

Have you tried the mortadella and pistachio combo as a white pie with ricotta? Killer Detroit pies, Jon. Iím interested in trying them in the Breadstone at some point. Iíll be looking to you and Hans for inspiration!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »
^^^ That bottom looks like itís out of a textbook.

Have you tried the mortadella and pistachio combo as a white pie with ricotta? Killer Detroit pies, Jon. Iím interested in trying them in the Breadstone at some point. Iíll be looking to you and Hans for inspiration!

I think this was my first go at mortadella on pizza. Maybe once before. If I did this again, i think I'd put a little dijon on the dough before the mortadella. The ricotta sounds like it would be a nice touch. Here's a link to the topping inspiration post:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/marc-vetris-mortadella-pizza.html

That was also made using the homemade diastatic malt powder. That post 115 is pretty much a direct route to success. Hans did all the legwork, I just bought the same pans he was using.

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »
Jon, at what % are you using the homemade diastatic malt? I was at about .25 for a 6-hr dough last time I gave it a shot, but didnít do enough practice to nail it down.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 02:15:33 PM »
Jon, at what % are you using the homemade diastatic malt? I was at about .25 for a 6-hr dough last time I gave it a shot, but didnít do enough practice to nail it down.
2% diastatic malt.

With the exception of increasing the salt a little, I follow the 115 proportions. I can double check on the salt when I get home, but I think I use 2.5% salt. I have a little cheat sheet with weights for 3 pans and then i upped it for 4 pans with a little extra for bowl residue. Here's a link to the original formula

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42012.msg461690#msg461690

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 02:33:10 PM »
Looks like itís working for you! I had been going lighter than recommended on all my formulas assuming it would be more potent than the low-L retail stuff.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 02:47:07 PM »
I think I've only used it twice so far. Both times were at the 2% in this formula. I think it is very forgiving here because once the dough gets panned, there is no more handling. So even if the dough would have ended up a little sticky or tough to stretch, it doesn't matter. Just top it and bake it off.