A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ghee........  (Read 3866 times)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ghee........
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »
Thanks, it's the slow 4ish hours that gets it there without leaving a burnt or scorched taste to it! Worth the effort completely!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2020, 06:10:02 AM »
looks like I need to make this, question for anyone who might know. Would I notice any difference between regular store butter and the twice as expensive Kery Gold? I notice when I use it in my cooking but never tried making Ghee with it before.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 01:12:12 AM »
The way I make it, any cheap butter on sale is fine. Save the good expensive butter or cultured butter for other things!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »
My latest batch of ghee! 6 pounds of butter render 4lb 6oz of finished ghee!
Jon

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 02:01:35 PM »
When I said butter, I actually meant ghee. I should have clarified.

Just saw that online and thought you might enjoy it, Jon.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 10:23:32 PM »
Hope you saved all that browned butter solids. Thats good as flavoring, or spinkle on popcorn, or add to butter and onions for perogies, ect...ect

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 10:32:46 PM »
ALWAYS! Shape into sticks for grating or to rub on toast.......or just outright take little bites!!!!😋
Jon

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 11:56:22 PM »
ALWAYS! Shape into sticks for grating or to rub on toast.......or just outright take little bites!!!!😋
Nice. :chef:

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2022, 12:39:02 AM »
Started another batch of ghee! 7 pounds of butter about 2.5 hours in the ghee kettle, may have to finish tomorrow, getting sleepy and don't want to eff it up!!! Soooooo yummy already :drool: :drool: :drool:
Jon

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2022, 08:20:30 AM »
Totally ignorant about this. Do you use it in place of butter or as you would butter?
George

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2022, 08:50:14 AM »
Totally ignorant about this. Do you use it in place of butter or as you would butter?

Yes, instead of butter or oil use ghee, WAYYYY  better tasting!
Jon

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2022, 02:39:07 PM »
I can feel my cholesterol bubbling just reading this topic, but I do love butter.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2022, 04:29:27 PM »
I can feel my cholesterol bubbling just reading this topic, but I do love butter.
Crestor is your friend.
-Tony

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2022, 12:51:03 AM »

You're not wrong, Jon needs to have his pulse checked daily.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2022, 01:03:53 AM »
Crestor is your friend.
If they made a butter flavored pill then it would work even butter. :-D

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2022, 01:31:29 AM »
In comparison to many other fats, ghee used in moderation  is better than most! And flavor wise, top of the heap!!!
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2022, 11:56:51 AM »
I like to hydrogenate my ghee,
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2022, 07:51:58 PM »
So, I had to do it. Got a two pund butter roll at Publix (did not notice that it was gluten free until later) and simmered it slowly for about 3 1/2 hours. Surprised at how little seddiment there was but in retrospect maybe because it was gluten free to start with. Anyway, turned out great and used it on some pasta that was very tasty. Tomorrow, I'm smoking an 11# pork butt and will coat it wit some of the butter before dry rub. Expect that it will work out fine. Thanks for the thread. Learn something new even when you're and old dog.
George

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2022, 11:01:45 PM »
So, I had to do it. Got a two pund butter roll at Publix (did not notice that it was gluten free until later) and simmered it slowly for about 3 1/2 hours. Surprised at how little seddiment there was but in retrospect maybe because it was gluten free to start with. Anyway, turned out great and used it on some pasta that was very tasty. Tomorrow, I'm smoking an 11# pork butt and will coat it wit some of the butter before dry rub. Expect that it will work out fine. Thanks for the thread. Learn something new even when you're and old dog.

Gluten free should be fine. But it may affect your future generations, as they maybe become gluten allergic.

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2022, 11:27:07 PM »
Gluten free should be fine. But it may affect your future generations, as they maybe become gluten allergic.

???
Jon