A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: C# Steak Sauce  (Read 505 times)

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
C# Steak Sauce
« on: July 02, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »
C# Steak Sauce

Introduction
The name is derived from one of my favorite Chopin works, Opus 64, No. 2, "Waltz in C Sharp Minor" and, depending on the type and amount of vinegar, the sharp flavor.

When I was younger, I used A.1. Sauce quite a lot on burgers and certain cuts of steak. I rarely use steak sauce anymore, but there are times when I want it as an option when I'm grilling. Such a time is July 4th.

Sauce
132.00 g tomato paste
132.00 g water
076.00 g vinegar*
066.00 g raisins
022.00 g orange juice
006.80 g (1-1/4 t) kosher salt
002.00 g (2/3 t) garlic powder
001.26 g (1/2 t) onion powder
000.75 g (1/3 t) celery seed
000.60 g (1/4 t) ground black pepper
000.45 g (1/4 t) ground cayenne pepper
000.45 g (1/4 t) ground ginger

*The type of vinegar I use is malt, because it's more traditional in English steak sauces such as A.1. For a sweeter and less pungent vinegar, I would use balsamic. For a neutral flavor, distilled white is the obvious choice. Adjust the water and vinegar ratio according to the desired strength. The quantities listed above provide a bite, but it shouldn't set your hair on fire.

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Age for at least 24 hours before using.
The yeast flies south in November.

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
Re: C# Steak Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 10:10:10 PM »
Addendum

I meant to mention in the original post that I have tried a ratio with as much as 120 g malt vinegar to 88 g of water. I think that's at the northern border of acerbic acceptability.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 11:11:54 AM »
Bearnaise FTW.   ;D
John

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 11:29:00 AM »
Bearnaise FTW.   ;D

I'm not much of a bearnaise or hollandaise fan. That's a lot of saturated fat for something that pairs with more animal fat.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 11:40:27 PM »
I am just too lazy to make homemade steak sauce. Ive been using A-1 for almost 40 years that i can remember. I buy it by the gallon and it last forever in the fridge. A gallon is pricey, but those little bottles are $5 and add up over the course of a year.

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 12:19:58 AM »
I am just too lazy to make homemade steak sauce. Ive been using A-1 for almost 40 years that i can remember. I buy it by the gallon and it last forever in the fridge. A gallon is pricey, but those little bottles are $5 and add up over the course of a year.

At least it requires less effort than making a pizza. While I mentioned A.1., I didn't intentionally develop this sauce to resemble it by much, but I think a 1:1 ratio of water and white distilled vinegar would come pretty close to the U.S. version.

Like many steak sauces, both A.1. and mine include raisins and citrus. For a brief moment I did consider using marmalade for the citrus like the UK and Canada version, but to your point about being lazy, I went with orange juice because it's easier to measure.

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 07:33:04 PM »
I made a pizza with steak and onions, using C# as component of the pizza sauce.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=75706.msg717439#msg717439

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 11:16:54 PM »
Never made your sauce so i can't judge, but ive come to the conclusion A-1 is good on only a few things, Steak, pork chops, and dry chicken. I tried it as a slather for brisket and it ruined it. Oddly enough, i have no issue using it on leftover chuck roast or brisket, but for some reason it made the brisket bark taste funky.

Offline FoodSim

• Supporting Member
  • Maillard Reactionary
    • FoodSim Tools
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 11:46:13 PM »
As I mentioned in the original post, it's only for burgers and certain cuts of steak in my case. It's more likely to be used if the steak or burger doesn't have much fat.

Also, this isn't a clone of A.1., but there isn't a wide variety of meats I want to use any steak sauce on. I very much liked the kick it gave to the pizza though.

wordpress