A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Itís 90+ degrees in our shop?!  (Read 1084 times)

Offline vitopiesclt

• I Love Pizza!
Itís 90+ degrees in our shop?!
« on: June 16, 2022, 04:58:17 PM »
We operate a carry-out only shop in SC - itís 90-100 degrees 3-4 months out of the year. Our shop which is 600 sq ft is 90+ degrees on the nights weíre open. We are well accustomed to working in the heat as our pizza truck that weíve operated for 9 years doesnít have A/C however we hoped to have our shop as a relief to this problem. We lease our shop space and donít want to spend anymore money as we just opened last year and spent enough already! Itís an old building with no insulation in the walls. We have put in new ceiling tiles laid new insulation on top of the tiles. Last summer the landlord installed a new 2.5 ton HVAC (with air handler on high) and we had a grease & heat hood system installed last fall. We have a deck Blodgett oven and no other cooking equipment. Not expecting it to be 70 degrees but itís 90+ on a hot summer evening and employees and customers are complaining. Today it got up to 93 degrees! What else can we do?

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Itís 90+ degrees in our shop?!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 06:11:13 PM »
I would thing it would be the landlords responsibility to provide a safe/healthy environment for you to run your business.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 06:32:53 PM »
We are in the same boat here in Reno Nv, minus humidity but get forest fires.    Our landlord is responsible for the HVAC and they put a new one in but it doesn't cool once above  80 degrees outside and once the ovens start making pies- 83 outside right now but no humidity or fires.  We have a swamp cooler in the back but can't use during fires.   They got a new HVAC company figuring out how to fix it.  We wear masks for COVID and between the heat of the oven, and the fires, which were at toxic levels all last summer, it is tough.  We run 2 blodgett 1000 ovens with lots of BTU's and a 40 year old hood with a fan.  It gets in 100's here and 90's near the ovens and I am 65 years old and the only one that makes pizza.  I get on my NJ summer mindset when I landscaped and lived in the 3rd floor of my childhood home with no A/C in the house. 

I have no advice but to get a competent HVAC engineer in.  Your cooler, prep fridges, proofer if you have one, all put off a lot of heat if not vented through the roof.  Our walk in is not vented through the roof.  We have a blodgett convection oven, upright fridge, prep rail, freezer, reach in fridge, and proofer as well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:11:07 PM by waltertore »
PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Offline vitopiesclt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 10:39:45 PM »
We have Blodgett 1000s on our pizza truck. My grandfather and uncle has a truck with them as well and started the first Vitoís Pizza truck in the 90s before ďfood trucksĒ were a thing!!  This is my first time owning and operating a B&M shop.

Back to the A/C. Last year I hounded the landlord until they had it replaced because it was hot all summer without the ovens on or doors open. The new unit keeps it cool and temp where it should be but as soon as the ovens start preheating it skyrockets. Again Iím no stranger to the heat as our truck has reached 100+ temps while we served hundreds of customers all summer long but sure was expecting our shop to give some relief from running this business in the middle of these Carolina summers! Still working on a few minor tweaks such as shades for all the windows and possibly adjusting the a/c down blasters but other than that Iím out of ideas that may help enough to make a difference.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 11:13:55 PM »
We have Blodgett 1000s on our pizza truck. My grandfather and uncle has a truck with them as well and started the first Vitoís Pizza truck in the 90s before ďfood trucksĒ were a thing!!  This is my first time owning and operating a B&M shop.

Back to the A/C. Last year I hounded the landlord until they had it replaced because it was hot all summer without the ovens on or doors open. The new unit keeps it cool and temp where it should be but as soon as the ovens start preheating it skyrockets. Again Iím no stranger to the heat as our truck has reached 100+ temps while we served hundreds of customers all summer long but sure was expecting our shop to give some relief from running this business in the middle of these Carolina summers! Still working on a few minor tweaks such as shades for all the windows and possibly adjusting the a/c down blasters but other than that Iím out of ideas that may help enough to make a difference.

Congrats on having your own shop!  Ours is 1,200 sqft and the HVAC guys told us it would cost 60k to keep it cool at all temps.  The landlord cheaped out and now they are trying to figure out how to deal with.  Ours freezes up when over 90 and like you, once the ovens open the temps skyrocket.  I think the only way you are going to fix it is to have a highly skilled HVAC engineer assess the entire space includings HVAC stuff.  I imagine with your temps and humidity it must take a well designed system to cool you right.  I know how stressful this stuff is.  Sorry you have to deal with it.  At least here humidity levels are in the single digits to under 20% all summer. 

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 06:17:59 AM »
I would thing it would be the landlords responsibility to provide a safe/healthy environment for you to run your business.
I spent 30+ years as a commercial, residential, and agricultural landlord and I have to say ďnot really.Ē Itís the landlordís responsibility to provide whatever the lease calls for. Typically, in a commercial property triple-net lease, the tenant can have whatever they want, but they can expect to pay for it (and leave it behind when they vacate). I told a long term tenant from a financial services firm one time, when he was talking crazy, ďWe can come in here every Tuesday and paint this place a different color if you want, but youíre going to pay for it.Ē

Now, I agree if the OP rented a place with a working AC unit that no longer does the job, it may be the landlordís responsibility to repair or replace it or it could be the tenantís responsibility. Depends on the terms the parties agreed to in the lease. If it was built for office or retail space and multiple pizza ovens are now running - there is a gap there that should have been addressed before now. The lack of insulation is a bad sign, though, in terms of how this place was built and has been let out.
-Tony

Offline vitopiesclt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 08:29:15 AM »
Appreciate the insight! From our experience so far and from our initial requests of the landlord Iím pretty positive they are not willing to do much of anything about our issue. Weíve been waiting months for them to fix our front door. That being said the building was built in 1970s and all around not in the best condition. Theyíve thrown some money on it one building at a time. Our space was an old office building that we converted into a pizza carryout. Against my better judgment I proceeded with the lease due to all the ďrightĒ things about this space including and most of all the price point for our area.

Here is one of the ďbeforeĒ photos.

In your opinion do we have any bearings on getting the landlord to help do anything at this point?

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 09:50:19 AM »
You or somebody did a nice job with the conversion. It does not sound to me like you are going to get this resolved by the landlord any time soon, or on any schedule you find convenient. Trying to do anything in court will be expensive and painfully slow. I donít know the particulars of your arrangement but it sounds as if the landlord simply does not have the money to help you. Absent that, whether they would or not is anybodyís guess but my guess would be Ďnotí. Iím sorry about it.
-Tony

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 12:04:19 PM »
I have the same problem in one of my locations.   When my AC unit there finally kicked the bucket and it was time to get a new one I was so excited to up the BTU's.  It turns out that my existing ductwork could not handle a larger unit and I had to just buy a new version of what blew out.  My restaurant is still crazy hot on hot summer days. The new ductwork was VERY expensive and just not worth putting the money into. 

You could look into a mini-split system.  The costs have come down on those and they allow you to put AC where you need it without installing new ductwork.

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 03:28:23 PM »
Just buy portable Ac unit. you can move it around.
we lost our AC unit on 2nd day we opened, we had 98 degrees in here back then, I gave 20% off to all customers who were dinning in. One older lady sat there and ate at 100 f . I volunteer to pack her food so she can take it home for free she refused and finished her food and gave us large tip. :D
Pizza Master's outside surface temp do not go above 100 f  and that is a game changer. 
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline vitopiesclt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2022, 04:42:21 PM »
Weíd rather not invest more into a mini split with the chance of it not helping much considering the hood pulling out the cooled and warm air. Has anyone installed mini-split a/c and found it helpful?

Offline vitopiesclt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 04:43:49 PM »
Just buy portable Ac unit. you can move it around.
we lost our AC unit on 2nd day we opened, we had 98 degrees in here back then, I gave 20% off to all customers who were dinning in. One older lady sat there and ate at 100 f . I volunteer to pack her food so she can take it home for free she refused and finished her food and gave us large tip. :D
Pizza Master's outside surface temp do not go above 100 f  and that is a game changer.

We donít have a window to vent the portable a/cÖdo you know of a type that doesnít require the window vent?

Offline woodfiredandrew

• follow your passion!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
I don't,  but look it up.
People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered, love them anyway. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives, do good anyway. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, Be honest and frank anyway. If you are successful , you will win false friends and true enemies, succeed anyway.

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 11:02:26 AM »
If you can't cool the air to the temp you like you can always move air... and a lot of it.  Air King model 9230 is an absolute beast.  Not cheap but one of the few this size with a sealed motor that won't get gunked up and no belts to wear out.  I like floor models so when they get filthy you just wheel it outside and hose it down.  Keep a little Igloo box cooler filled with water & ice close by and a hand towel you can soak in it, wring out and wear around you neck.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 11:10:32 AM by Pizza Shark »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »
Whatís the CFM rating on the hood exhaust fan and does that match the requirements of the ovens?

There are 2 2x2 ceiling tiles one in front of the hood and one to the side- what are those - exhaust or AC output?

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 06:50:04 PM »
The entire idea of an "air conditioned" commercial line or kitchen or cooking area is an absolute fallacy if you ask me.  What's that saying?  If ya can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen"?  In my experience working in multiple food service establishments long ago the line and the kitchen is HOTTER THAN HELL.  Any attempt to pump A/C in there just gets sucked up in the hoods. 

One of the first restaurants I managed decades ago would hit 110 degrees almost every night.  How do I know that? Because there was a quick test thermometer on the line to check every dish to make sure it was fully cooked before it went out.  I well remember the day I pulled that thermometer that was registering 110 ambient and stuck it into the middle of what appeared to be a boiling hot lasagna plate after 2:30 in the high powered microwave, pulled and topped with sauce and cheese into the convection oven at 550 for 2 minutes more and when that thermometer hit the middle of that lasagna and DROPPED from 110 ambient to about 90... Did we all on the line every have a laugh over that!  Hotter on the line than this lasagna that has been nuked and convectioned! 

In my opinion... it's all about venting heat and bringing fresh air in and moving a lot of air with fans and such for those who work in that hot environment... and keeping that bucket of ice water with towels close by they could keep soaking and wrapping around their necks.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2022, 10:26:13 PM »
Weíd rather not invest more into a mini split with the chance of it not helping much considering the hood pulling out the cooled and warm air. Has anyone installed mini-split a/c and found it helpful?

Yes, I put one blowing right down onto the mouth of my oven and it helped tremendously.  Without it my employees dont want to work the wood burning oven, but with it there is no problem.

Offline vitopiesclt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 07:55:03 PM »
We now have 5 fans. Itís 95 degrees inside and 94 outside with heat index making it feel like 104. Fully understand heat for those in the kitchen is to be expected however our small 600 sq ft space is completely open to all staff and customers. Itís quite miserable for everyone. The mini split directly above our ovens may not make sense considering the hood will pull out cool air and even a fan blowing on it affects the cook time as they are not wood fired but stone deck ovens. Maybe worth a tryÖnot sure though since itís going to cost a lot to have someone come in and wire the electrical and finish installation. I havenít found an effective solution yet.

Online caymus

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »

One of the first restaurants I managed decades ago would hit 110 degrees almost every night. 

Did you worry about employees "sweating" on the food?

wordpress