A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Freezing Neapolitan Dough  (Read 403 times)

Offline PizzaDaddy

• I Love Pizza!
Freezing Neapolitan Dough
« on: July 21, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »
Hello, Pizza People.

Question: Any experience with freezing Neapolitan dough? I make a 4 day dough-- Poolish day 1, then a 24hr wait, dough making and balling day 2, 48 hour cold fermentation, then on day 4 we bake.

We're going to start using a different commissary that charges a higher rate by the hour and I'm exploring the idea of making larger dough batches 2X a month instead of 1-2X per week like we did previously.

I bake in a mobile-wood fired oven at 800-1000degree temps. Any experience with this method? Any alterations to the dough that you'd suggest?

Thanks for your time,

Pizza Daddy, Asheville, NC

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Freezing Neapolitan Dough
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 10:55:49 PM »
I know a place near me that does it. They cook a bit lower than you(I think 750ish), but they are only open Wed-Sun and make their dough sometime between Mon-Tues and just take it out and let it proof. NO IDEA on their method, I just know that it can definately be done. If nobody has a definitive answer for you, you might just have to start playing. Make a dough ball, freeze, thaw and see what happens. Too bad Tom isn't still around. Almost positive he'd have an answer for you.

Offline JimmyBoyHill

• Learner pizza maker
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 05:41:23 AM »
Just to preface this with Iím new to pizza making but Iíve been making pizzas most weekends now for about 4 months.

I have done about 30 pizzas using frozen dough and have been very pleased with the results, I canít remember the original source (probably YouTube) but the way I do it is I make the dough exactly as if I was going to use it fresh. I then cold proof it up to the point youíd take it out to bring to room temp. Ball them up and In to the freezer.

Simply take it out the night before and allow to defrost in the fridge. If using it in the evening I tend to bring it out in the morning into the fridge as Iíve assumed it may overproof if given a whole day.

When ready to use pop it on the counter to bring to temp as you usually would.

I freeze mine in pots but I saw that if you freeze them on a tray (if you have a large enough freezer) you can pop them off the tray when frozen and bag them to save space.

Bake wiseÖ I got just as good a rise, no signs that it had been frozen. The yeast starts again as soon as itís defrosted, my pots often pop open!

Iíd say give a few batches ago and youíll be pleased Iím sure! 

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »
Just to preface this with Iím new to pizza making but Iíve been making pizzas most weekends now for about 4 months.

I have done about 30 pizzas using frozen dough and have been very pleased with the results, I canít remember the original source (probably YouTube) but the way I do it is I make the dough exactly as if I was going to use it fresh. I then cold proof it up to the point youíd take it out to bring to room temp. Ball them up and In to the freezer.

Simply take it out the night before and allow to defrost in the fridge. If using it in the evening I tend to bring it out in the morning into the fridge as Iíve assumed it may overproof if given a whole day.

When ready to use pop it on the counter to bring to temp as you usually would.

I freeze mine in pots but I saw that if you freeze them on a tray (if you have a large enough freezer) you can pop them off the tray when frozen and bag them to save space.

Bake wiseÖ I got just as good a rise, no signs that it had been frozen. The yeast starts again as soon as itís defrosted, my pots often pop open!

Iíd say give a few batches ago and youíll be pleased Iím sure!
I'll have to try it your way. So far, the end result has always been as flat as a dysentery turd.
Mick

Offline JimmyBoyHill

• Learner pizza maker
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 09:14:33 AM »
I'll have to try it your way. So far, the end result has always been as flat as a dysentery turd.

Ha! Maybe Iíve been lucky! Give it a go

Offline Yael

• Supporting Member
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 09:48:33 AM »
What Tom Lehmann replied many times about frozen dough is that usually the yeast amount is x3 because a part of this yeast will die.

Or you don't change the yeast amount and may have to wait a little bit longer to complete the fermentation.

Other than that, from my own tests and what I read from others, there's nothing more to change.

Oh, Tom also suggested to freeze directly after mixing. But I think freezing after a CF (at 4įC, meaning there's no yeast activity) as suggests JBH can work too, IMO.
ďLearn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artistĒ - Pablo Picasso

wordpress