A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Scale for cheese?  (Read 574 times)

Offline Fyre

• I Love Pizza!
Scale for cheese?
« on: July 27, 2022, 08:52:33 AM »
Best scale for weighing cheese on the prep line? We use screens so it should be easy enough... want to screen the dough, add sauce, and then weigh as we add cheese... or just have a cup on the scale. Either way, what's the best scale for under $500? 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Scale for cheese?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »
The Myweigh KD line of scales last a long time in a commercial environment. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4EI5DE/?tag=pmak-20

I fear that if your make line has enough time to weigh out ingredients you are not going to be busy enough to survive.   Maybe if you own the building and have no rent and know how to do your own refrigeration/HVAC repair or something... 

I have not had a hard time training anyone to be consistent with toppings, it just takes a few days of working side by side with each employee.

I suggest slices of cheese as a faster way to get an exact weight onto your pizza.

Diced cheese and a portion cup is the way the chains do it (without weighing).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:22:02 AM by scott r »

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
I have two of the scales that scottr  linked to, they are great.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 04:34:21 PM »
Another method is to weigh out your cheese in plastic cups and put them on your make line.  This can all be done when you're not busy...we find the cheese savings is huge.  All you need is a cheap Escali scale...or something similar.

John

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 05:00:40 PM »
We weigh our cheese on the line. Veggies are measured in cups.  It only takes seconds to do this.  I want my pizzas to look like I topped all of them.  Unfortunately, I can't do that, as I open all the dough, sauce it and dust with hard cheeses.  I often help top too when I have time but not enough to let people eyeball things.  With this system we have less than $20 in food waste a week and most times less than $10.  Cheese can really get expensive when spreading shredded cheese. 
PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 10:28:52 PM »
John, the idea of holding pre portioned cheese is great advice.   There are definitely slow times during the day for me and my guys would have time to do this.

My restaurants need to make 80-90 pizzas an hour on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, so maybe I am not the best judge of this.  For me, there is no way I could add even a few seconds to each pizza and maintain these sales numbers, as those seconds really add up. As it is I have complaints about not moving fast enough.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 12:11:03 AM »
Scott
This was an idea i picked from Big Dave Ostrander.  it takes a small initial investment, but it pays for itself very quickly.  We bought a stack of deep half pans, a box of stadium cups.  Our 16 inch pizza has 12 ounces of cheese, our 13 inch pizza has 8 ounces of cheese, and our 10 inch pizza has 4 ounces of cheese.  We sell about 3 times more 16 inch pizza than 13 inch and the 10 inch is lowest of all.  So, we preportion our cheese for the two larger pizzas, place in stadium cups and fill up the half pans.  These are stacked and placed in our walk in...and are brought out a pan at a time as needed.  We use a measuring cup for cheese on the 10 inch pizza and this is measured as needed as they are a lot scarcer.  We started doing this years ago and i wish i knew about this back in 1983 when I started...we would have saved a ton of money.  The problem we have always had in my business is that we might have 8 or 9 pizza makers on a busy night, and regulating what they put on can get dicey.  So, we eliminated that problem all together.  Many thanks to Big Dave...this is a hugely successful tip!

John

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 12:21:33 AM »
John, the idea of holding pre portioned cheese is great advice.   There are definitely slow times during the day for me and my guys would have time to do this.

My restaurants need to make 80-90 pizzas an hour on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, so maybe I am not the best judge of this.  For me, there is no way I could add even a few seconds to each pizza and maintain these sales numbers, as those seconds really add up. As it is I have complaints about not moving fast enough.

Food costs can go erratic without portioning and in today's world of ever-increasing costs watching this stuff can really make a difference.  Also, it is getting harder to hold onto to employees, which to me, is another reason to make it fool proof.  To the people complaining that you are not moving fast enough tell them to -OYOP- open your own pizzeria.   Energy like that brings the spirit of the shop down.  It causes unnecessary stress which only leads to mistakes and bad vibes.   We weed out those types as life is too short to deal with that crap. 
PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Offline JWFPIZZZA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 10:24:44 PM »
we slice our cheese, no guessing, no heavy hands, no light hands.  buuuut....we do only pizza & salad and it is pretty labor intensive, we slice A LOT of cheese.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 02:27:02 AM »
I love that you slice a lot of cheese.  I am so happy for you Jeff!   We need more pizzerias like yours in this world.

Offline JWFPIZZZA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 07:53:02 PM »
Thanks scott feel the same way with you.

wordpress