A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Supplies for at home Pop-Up  (Read 758 times)

Offline Samson

• I Love Pizza!
Supplies for at home Pop-Up
« on: August 09, 2022, 06:56:35 AM »
Hi I'd like to host a pizza pop-up at my house for friends and family as a practice for potentially doing a real pop-up at some point. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the supplies I need. It will be in my backyard under a tent and I'll be using my Breville. I have all the supplies I normally use to make pizza (peels, cooling racks, dough trays, temp gun etc) and I'll still use my home fridge. Below are the additional items I think I'll need. Does anyone have any thoughts on other items that would be helpful? Thanks!

Tent (10 x 10?)
Tables (2 or 3 foldable tables?)
Surface for assembling (back of a sheet pan?)
Large containers for Sauce/Cheese and other toppings
Boxes/plates

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Supplies for at home Pop-Up
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 09:08:31 AM »
I canít even estimate how many gatherings I have attended where nobody thought to have a place for things that should be thrown away (garbage). It seems like a small matter but that is my tip; one for you work area and at least one for your guests.

Good luck to you.
-Tony

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 09:43:15 AM »
Some disinfectant hand wipes.
You didn't mention them but I assume since you have tables you would have chairs.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Samson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »
ah good points thanks, I didnít think about the garbage and cleaning supplies. The tables were for the oven itself, ingredients and assembling not really for sitting. But good point i will need a place for people to eat their pizzas.

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 04:17:16 PM »
I love my Breville but I canít imagine doing a pop up with just one so a few more Brevilles would be on my list.

Offline Samson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
yea this is just for fun, would be hard in a real setting with only one oven.

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 10:51:32 AM »
I usually put a bin or something under the table that i'm using to prep for things that will go to the house to be washed - dirty dishes, dish towels, ingredient containers, etc. 
Deb

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 09:24:44 PM »
I have one of these multi level tables for making pizza on outside. I like having something counter height. I got mine at a BJs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJPC2A/?tag=pmak-20

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 12:08:36 AM »
Case in point: We went to a very nice wedding today. Service was outdoors. Prior to a nice sit down dinner, they had a bar outside and a bar inside as well as some appetizers on nice heart shaped disposable plates, and napkins. Many drink cups were used, of course. I found no trash receptacle indoors or out.

We were both quite happy to be there. For one, I havenít been getting out much and wore a suit tonight for the first time in 6-7 years. We are quite close to and fond of the young couple who got married. When they met, our names quickly came up as my wife was then her mentor at school and the young man helped me out for 3 summers working on athletic fields.
-Tony

Offline Samson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 09:30:53 AM »
ah very nice. Yes garbage is key, great idea to have it under the table. Right now I'm using two of those adjustable tables which are great, and I have a basically a metal serving tray that I'm putting down to open up the pizzas on.

I think the only thing I really need to purchase is a tent. Any recommendations on a 10x10 tent? I would think they are pretty similar but happy to take recs if anyone has had a good experience with one brand.

Thanks

Offline Samson

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 08:16:24 AM »
I practiced outside a couple of times and the one items I seem to have forgotten about was some sort of bug repellent. Bugs like pizza too it seems.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »
I practiced outside a couple of times and the one items I seem to have forgotten about was some sort of bug repellent. Bugs like pizza too it seems.
As a formerly licensed pesticide applicator in 3 categories, including mosquito control, that is a tricky proposition around food and people. Bees, mosquitos, and flies can all be problems. If you plan to use chemical control, it needs to be done long before people and food arrive - preferably on another day. Traps and electric zappers are good alternatives but not everybody can handle seeing or hearing them when they are eating. Large oscillating fans while the event is taking place can be quite effective.

It is a problem. I give you credit for figuring it out before your practice sessions end.
-Tony

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 02:11:46 PM »
As a formerly licensed pesticide applicator in 3 categories, including mosquito control, that is a tricky proposition around food and people. Bees, mosquitos, and flies can all be problems. If you plan to use chemical control, it needs to be done long before people and food arrive - preferably on another day. Traps and electric zappers are good alternatives but not everybody can handle seeing or hearing them when they are eating. Large oscillating fans while the event is taking place can be quite effective.

It is a problem. I give you credit for figuring it out before your practice sessions end.

What do you think of the traps that are basically a near-UV blue light and a fan blowing into a sock? Seems like they wouldn't necessarily be loud or look like much.

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 02:47:17 PM »
I have one of these multi level tables for making pizza on outside. I like having something counter height. I got mine at a BJs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJPC2A/?tag=pmak-20

Having counter-height work space is pretty key. We don't have the multi-level version of that table, but we cut some lengths of PVC pipe to slip over the shorter legs to bring it up to a working height.

And work lights also, mechanics' safety lights you just hang on the pop-up frame.

The aluminum-framed 10x10s are more expensive but worth it, I don't have a fave brand. Don't skip out on the anchor weights, or make some yourself, to hold that sucker down. Tent stakes do not work.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 02:56:06 PM by stickyD »

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 03:50:22 PM »
What do you think of the traps that are basically a near-UV blue light and a fan blowing into a sock? Seems like they wouldn't necessarily be loud or look like much.
I have not heard of that method. Any kind of air movement will help.
-Tony

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2022, 11:21:11 PM »
I have not heard of that method. Any kind of air movement will help.

I'm not 100% up on it. Looks like blue or green light may be better? Or the combination of the two? Apparently mosquitoes, unlike many other flying insects, aren't attracted to UV.

https://entomologytoday.org/2017/08/09/building-a-better-light-trap-study-finds-specific-light-waves-attract-anopheline-mosquitoes/