A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Proofing dough in Thailand  (Read 564 times)

Offline George Bowman

• I Love Pizza!
Proofing dough in Thailand
« on: March 09, 2021, 04:07:27 AM »
Life is sure funny sometimes and doesn't always go according to plan. My fishing plans have been thwarted by a pizza oven I made in the boonies of Thailand. So, I guess it is my fault. Anyway, we are only open on the weekends and average about 300 pizzas being sold. At ten bucks a pie, it gives the wife (Dee) some spending money.

So my question is about proofing the dough and if a proofing machine setup would make a difference. Dee starts up the mixer about 6am and allows the dough to rise in our outdoor pavilion to be ready to cook at 11am. So far, no problem and the dough turns out thin and crunchy. The average temperature here will get in the 90sF range and the humidity is generally around 80%. Shouldn't that suffice to proof the dough?

Thanks,
George's Pizza

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: Proofing dough in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »
I think if you are happy with your dough and the customers like it, then there's no need to change anything! :D

I know that in Naples they are normally at around 50 grams of sea salt per liter of water in the dough, in the hot months they might go up to 55-60g.  This has the effect of slowing the fermentation and making the dough sturdier.  It can get quite floppy when it gets really hot.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:44 AM »
I have no idea why you would want a proofer?? Your ambiant is PLENTY warm for raising dough. How long do you cook? From 11am until when??

Offline George Bowman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 02:39:46 AM »
Our hours are 11-5 and even though our place is out in the boonies it has become very popular. As a result we have had various salespeople stop buy trying to sale their products. One such person had a fancy temperature controlled proofer that he guaranteed to create great crust. My wife got all excited but I just couldn't figure out why we needed one. Hence, my question.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 09:18:58 AM »
One such person had a fancy temperature controlled proofer that he guaranteed to create great crust.

Well there you go.  And that is something a sales person would never lie about.
 :angel:
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 12:48:14 AM »
Our hours are 11-5 and even though our place is out in the boonies it has become very popular. As a result we have had various salespeople stop buy trying to sale their products. One such person had a fancy temperature controlled proofer that he guaranteed to create great crust. My wife got all excited but I just couldn't figure out why we needed one. Hence, my question.

Your issue isn't getting the dough to raise faster... it would be to slow it down. 11-5 is a 6 hour range. There is NO way to have dough that is ready to use at 11 and have that same dough also usable at 5.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 12:57:11 AM »

You'd need a fridge more than a proofer - you live in a proofer  :P
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 01:28:05 AM »
I would think two smaller batches of dough would be better if you can't get a fridge... one batch of dough that you would use from let's say 11-2 and the next from 2-5. It would make it MUCH more consistent. So make one batch at 6am and the next at 9am. Just a thought.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 04:26:08 AM »
I would think two smaller batches of dough would be better if you can't get a fridge... one batch of dough that you would use from let's say 11-2 and the next from 2-5. It would make it MUCH more consistent. So make one batch at 6am and the next at 9am. Just a thought.

I've been playing with biga recently, I made one 100%-batch (well, 90% actually) and one 50%-batch; 90%-biga was ready after 5H (lunch); 50% biga after 10H (dinner). 50%-biga simply had half yeast. You still have to make 2 batches, but you can make them one after the other.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:58:24 PM »
I've been playing with biga recently, I made one 100%-batch (well, 90% actually) and one 50%-batch; 90%-biga was ready after 5H (lunch); 50% biga after 10H (dinner). 50%-biga simply had half yeast. You still have to make 2 batches, but you can make them one after the other.

GREAT idea!! One batch with .4% yeast and another one with like .2% yeast(yeast percentages just a guess LOL)... may take a couple days to get it dialed in, but would be a great compromise!

Maybe the OP can post their recipe and we can help him/her figure out the best course of action! :)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 03:09:37 AM »
GREAT idea!! One batch with .4% yeast and another one with like .2% yeast(yeast percentages just a guess LOL)... may take a couple days to get it dialed in, but would be a great compromise!

Maybe the OP can post their recipe and we can help him/her figure out the best course of action! :)

:)
I was around 0.12% for both batches, 0.12% of the biga: 1.2g in the first batch (I was aiming for 100% biga so I kept the full amount even tough I ended up making 90%) and 0.6g in the second (50%).
1st phase (biga mix) overnight, something between 13 and 15H, RT was around 22°C I think; then second phase/final mixing the next morning. I guess if you play with yeast amount you can accelerate or reduce the second-day fermentation! (make it 5 and 10H, or 4 and 8H... etc).

FWIW, when I was trying biga before, I ended up with a lot of clumps in my dough, but then I just resolved it by mixing a longer time and/or using second speed in my spiral mixer. I mix 5+5min (low + high speed), and it's perfect (FDT around 26°C).

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 08:41:28 PM »
:)
I was around 0.12% for both batches, 0.12% of the biga: 1.2g in the first batch (I was aiming for 100% biga so I kept the full amount even tough I ended up making 90%) and 0.6g in the second (50%).
1st phase (biga mix) overnight, something between 13 and 15H, RT was around 22°C I think; then second phase/final mixing the next morning. I guess if you play with yeast amount you can accelerate or reduce the second-day fermentation! (make it 5 and 10H, or 4 and 8H... etc).

FWIW, when I was trying biga before, I ended up with a lot of clumps in my dough, but then I just resolved it by mixing a longer time and/or using second speed in my spiral mixer. I mix 5+5min (low + high speed), and it's perfect (FDT around 26°C).

You could get them to completely reformulate their entire recipe. Or do like I mention... just make a batch with less yeast. ;)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
Haha, I wrote amounts just for information  :D