A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Is my dough management ok ?  (Read 476 times)

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
Is my dough management ok ?
« on: March 14, 2021, 08:12:48 AM »
This is my dough management:

- Combine flour, salt, sugar, water and mixture of ADY and water

- Mix in the stand mixer until it forms a ragged ball

- cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes (autolyse)

- after 30 minutes, add the oil and mix at medium speed for 7 minutes 30 - 8 minutes

- Then once it is kneaded, I take the finished dough temperature, split the dough in 2 even mass

- then I ball my 2 dough balls and put it in a oiled container and put it directly in the fridge for 3 days

- The day of the pizza, I take the dough out of the fridge 90 minutes before stretching/shaping and dress my pizza before I bake it

that' it, do you think my dough management is ok ? Are there other things I can do to improve ?

thanks

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Is my dough management ok ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 09:03:51 PM »
Salut,

I would even skip the kneading part, or maybe make one or two "rest & fold" (if you want to see how I suggest, there are my Youtube videos on this thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66449.0;topicseen)

The rest seems ok! Just remember that 72H in a home fridge can be a little bit too long. But if your dough still has strength and everything, then that's ok!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
Salut,

I would even skip the kneading part, or maybe make one or two "rest & fold" (if you want to see how I suggest, there are my Youtube videos on this thread: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66449.0;topicseen)

The rest seems ok! Just remember that 72H in a home fridge can be a little bit too long. But if your dough still has strength and everything, then that's ok!

Thanks for the reply. I checked out your YouTube Channel and found some things interesting (and in My native language)

Offline AntonioVR

• You can't make everyone happy. You're not pizza.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:58:28 AM »
I have a follow up question, why do you and many others do this step ?

"- cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes (autolyse)"

I am a beginner, so that is why i am wondering. I mix all the ingredients and knead (by hand only) for about 10/12 minutes, than i immediately create the dough balls and let it rest for about 8 hours at room temperature and than i make the pizza.

Should i also add the step to first cover it for a while and than make the balls ? And why is that ?

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 09:17:13 PM »
[...]
- cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes (autolyse)
[...]

If yeast is added to this part, then it shouldn't be called an autolyse, as autolyse should only be water & flour, maybe salt if it's a long one (>6H).

As many valuable members here said many times, the autolyse is not a usefull step in a classic pizza dough making, and I second that. I use autolyse for 2 reasons/situations:
- High hydration dough (during autolyse, flour absorbs water which helps reducing the mixing time)
- get a colder dough, also because of high hydration and long mixing

Having said so, when I hand-mix my dough, I mix everything then I let it rest 30 min and make a series of folding, but that's different, I consider my dough done, just make "rest & folds" to make it smoother and tighten it a little bit.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T