A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Can I store RT fermented dough to fridge?  (Read 346 times)

Offline Willthepizzamaker

• I Love Pizza!
Can I store RT fermented dough to fridge?
« on: May 22, 2021, 03:54:29 PM »
Hi everyone.
I have a ongoing pizza pop up for my friends now.
I've been using cold fermentation method until I discovered Room temperature fermented dough taste and works better on my liking, and environment. Only problem is I can not use room temperature dough for long time compare to cold fermented dough (I do weekends pop up only). Is it possible to bulk raise in rt 24 hours > ball > directly to fridge > take out from fridge for 12 hours (I assume you need this amount of time at least since ball has been cooled off?) > put in the fridge back > take out 3 hours before (to bring proper temp). The procedure is little off because I need to transfer, set up etc. Help me with your knowledge.. I could maybe do everyday raise if it was restaurant space but it's hard to do it current environment.

Thank you
Will

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Can I store RT fermented dough to fridge?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 04:12:37 PM »
I guess I'm not sure why you're putting it in the fridge at all if you're going to let it come back out for a full 12 hours before use. Seems to me you might as well just leave it out the whole time, if possible. This would probably be okay if your room temp isn't excessively high.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 11:24:54 PM »
I guess I'm not sure why you're putting it in the fridge at all if you're going to let it come back out for a full 12 hours before use. Seems to me you might as well just leave it out the whole time, if possible. This would probably be okay if your room temp isn't excessively high.
I drive about 2 and half hour to do pop up (friend's cafe place) and he has fridge but no dry storage place (hard to explain in words but yea.. its weirdly small and cramped) and sometime it gets humid and hot in the place when I start cook pizza with gozney dome. The reason I mention fridge was worrying the dough being overproof, get slack and flat when important people start to come in. It's 11am to 7pm (pretty long timeline for pop up) if the dough is okay to stay next to gozney oven for that amount of time I wouldn't even consider to mention fridge. I could use less yeast but sometime weather is too cold or big temperature difference and some people might come earlier to taste the pizza (want to be ready from 11 and be steady on 7too)

Online RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »
If that's the case, why would you want to have the dough out at ambient temp for that long when you could refrigerate it? I know it's impossible to always know exactly how many to take out and when, but I would still try to keep them cool until a couple of hours or so before they're needed. Like you said, humidity and high temps can really screw dough up and make it difficult to handle. I'd say just put the dough in the fridge as soon as you get there, and do your best to take it out as needed at the right times. Not necessarily easy, but better than letting it get screwed up. Having said this, I'm going on the assumption that your ambient temps at this venue are unpredictable (outside? I can't really tell from your post), but if the temp is stable, then it's much easier to make predictions. And there will be others who will tell you that you could keep your doughs out the whole time. I imagine you might get a wide variety of responses to this post.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 03:10:39 AM »
If that's the case, why would you want to have the dough out at ambient temp for that long when you could refrigerate it? I know it's impossible to always know exactly how many to take out and when, but I would still try to keep them cool until a couple of hours or so before they're needed. Like you said, humidity and high temps can really screw dough up and make it difficult to handle. I'd say just put the dough in the fridge as soon as you get there, and do your best to take it out as needed at the right times. Not necessarily easy, but better than letting it get screwed up. Having said this, I'm going on the assumption that your ambient temps at this venue are unpredictable (outside? I can't really tell from your post), but if the temp is stable, then it's much easier to make predictions. And there will be others who will tell you that you could keep your doughs out the whole time. I imagine you might get a wide variety of responses to this post.
I guess I should've be more clear what I ask.

I just wanted to know if I can put the room temperature ferment dough in the fridge to prevent overproof and has same uncompromised flavour compare to the one left outside for whole time.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:07:31 AM »

I just wanted to know if I can put the room temperature ferment dough in the fridge to prevent overproof and has same uncompromised flavour compare to the one left outside for whole time.

Yes.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Online QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 01:35:22 PM »
I agree with above. Straight to the fridge and start taking out trays during the day, and your dough will never be overproofed.

wordpress