A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Italian Bread Troubleshooting  (Read 165 times)

Offline Santo

• I Love Pizza!
Italian Bread Troubleshooting
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »
Hey everybody,

I've been trying really hard to replicate the authentic new york style italian bread. I found the following recipe but it is giving me a ton of trouble. Its from this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh6gWP5XF-dOJKK124Q0M9Q

My dough comes out nothing like his.

Starter: (94.8% hyd)

- 2 cups bread flour (250 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon Instant dry yeast
- 1 cup water (room temp) (237g)

Dough: (84% hyd)

- 3 cups bread flour (375 g)
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast (3g)
- one and 1/3 cup water (room temp) (315 g)
- 2 teaspoons salt

The dough is sooooo soupy and sticky. Its like a bowl of soup. I added about half a cup of flour to it and used my bench scraper to stretch and fold it in and knead it.

Anybody have any advice on how to alter this recipe so it is less sticky to work with? Can i just lower the hydration by scaling back the water by a certain increment in both the starter and the dough?

Anybody have any great recipes for authentic new york italian bread?

Thanks a lot.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Italian Bread Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 03:20:47 PM »
How did you come up with weights for volume measurements he provided on his linked web site? That is probably the root of the problem as his dough looks fine.it seems to me like he uses a lot of yeast and salt may be on the light side.

There are many examples of great bread on this site. It may be easier to find one, practice with it, ask questions of the person who posted it and go from there.
-Tony

Offline Santo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 03:25:41 PM »
How did you come up with weights for volume measurements he provided on his linked web site? That is probably the root of the problem as his dough looks fine.it seems to me like he uses a lot of yeast and salt may be on the light side.

There are many examples of great bread on this site. It may be easier to find one, practice with it, ask questions of the person who posted it and go from there.

That is a great point. I used http://brdclc.com/?flour=630&water=64&leaven=20 for a type of calculator to convert from volume to grams for the flour and water.

Do you think if i just stuck with the volume it would have turned out differently? I opted to convert to grams because it is just simpler to weigh things out as opposed to scooping with the measuring cups.

I haven't been able to find a good recipe for this style italian bread but i will continue to look through this forum for a prime example. I definitely trust the forum more than most any youtube videos.

Thanks.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 04:49:30 PM »
Yes, although I donít think I am furthering the cause any by saying so: in this case it may have turned out better sticking to volume measurements. The problem becomes duplicating that next time. What got me to look at the video, then his website, and your question was the use of percentages with the volume measurements you showed. I wondered how or at what point one became the other.

I look forward to following your progress on this. Good luck!
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »
Using weight is not the problem, the total hydration of 88% (552g h2O/625g Flour) is why your dough is soupy.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Online billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 10:01:14 PM »
Here's a video making ciabatta at 80% hydration just for reference:

wordpress