A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Poolish newbie question  (Read 432 times)

Offline Monkeyboy

• I Love Pizza!
Poolish newbie question
« on: June 14, 2021, 04:07:28 PM »
Sifting thru a number of articles and videos on using a Poolish, I am ready to try it for the first time.  I Usually do RT bulk ferment, then CF for 3 days +/-.  Made a Biga 1x, want to try a Poolish now.

Please critique my intended process....Questions in <<xxxx>> brackets
goal = 68% hydration Neopolitan style, to be cooked in a gas fired Pizza Oven.

300g Caputo Super Nuvola Flour
300g water
.6g IDY (1%)
mix, cover - room temp for ~10-12 hours (room temp is ~72F) <<poke holes in plastic wrap?>>

<<instead of all RT...have seen some leave Poolish at RT for 1 hour, then fridge for 12-24 hours?>>

mix in remaining:
298g Caputo Pizzeria Flour
107g water
15g salt (2.5%)
<<Some say to add oil to the dough?  Not sure if I should do that or not?>>
Cover-Rest ~1 hour
Knead ~10-15min
Cover-rest ~1 hour
Divide and ball into proofing tray
<<assume I can also throw in fridge after balling if I want to use the dough a day or 2 or 3 later?  How long might it keep?>>
or if cooking this day...Cover and rest at RT for ~6 hours - cook.

thanks for guidance/tips...

Offline loch

Re: Poolish newbie question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
<<instead of all RT...have seen some leave Poolish at RT for 1 hour, then fridge for 12-24 hours?>>

That's what I do with my poolish but it's only for convenience in my case. The time in my fridge retards development. I take it out of the fridge very early in the morning and let it sit in 76-78° F room for 8 to 10 hours to get it properly developed. I could just as easily start it 8 to 10 hours ahead and leave it at room temp.

The time in the fridge may make it a little more acidic but not enough to really notice.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 09:45:04 PM »
IMHO, if you make poolish, you won't need a long CF like the 3 days you mention (preferments are supposed to give you more flavor and an advanced fermentation so you don't need to wait too long). Are you in a home setting or a commercial one? If at home, home fridges' cold is usually not as low and efficient as commercials one, meaning your dough or preferment in your home fridge with still have fermentation activity as the temperature is not low enough for the yeast to go sleeping (which would be bellow 4°C at core).
Knowing that, I don't see any problem for putting a preferment in the (home) fridge, as there will be a slight fermentation activity, that's to say 12H in the fridge could be the same as 4 or 6H at RT, fermentation-wise (these are just random numbers, to illustrate the example).
Of course, there will be differences in the result between RTF and CF, the enzyme and bacteria are more likely to take some time and be more effective after 12H than 4H, even at lower temperatures, but that's the general idea.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline tollerpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:40:43 AM »
Have a look at Vito's YT video about next level pizza dough and it's essentially the 24 hour fridge in poolish method.

For the oil my process is:

1. Combine everything for that initial knead
2. Knead the dough until all the water is absorbed and it's sticky but together
3. Rest for 15 mins to let it relax
4. Oil your hands and bench scraper, pat the dough all around, use the scraper to kinda spin the dough and release it from the table
5. Slap and fold until smooth

Regarding your fridge fermentation, I think you have the choice between leaving your dough as bulk or balling it up and then letting it ferment in the fridge for those 2-3 days. Trial and error is your friend!

Offline Bitonto Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 09:14:35 PM »
Very similar to my process. I documented it here:

Offline paris401

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 02:07:32 PM »
Have a look at Vito's YT video about next level pizza dough and it's essentially the 24 hour fridge in poolish method.

For the oil my process is:

1. Combine everything for that initial knead
2. Knead the dough until all the water is absorbed and it's sticky but together
3. Rest for 15 mins to let it relax
4. Oil your hands and bench scraper, pat the dough all around, use the scraper to kinda spin the dough and release it from the table
5. Slap and fold until smooth

Regarding your fridge fermentation, I think you have the choice between leaving your dough as bulk or balling it up and then letting it ferment in the fridge for those 2-3 days. Trial and error is your friend!

i have tried lots of dough recipes, and so far vito's  imo is the best.... i follow his almost to a teee... but after i mix the poolish,flour, and water, i let it hydrate for some 15/20 mins... then add the salt--- why.... i see breadmakers who do not add the salt immed...

wordpress