A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cloning a specific kind of pizza crust  (Read 629 times)

Offline ThePizzaDJ

• I Love Pizza!
Cloning a specific kind of pizza crust
« on: September 03, 2021, 03:33:28 PM »
Good evening.

I had a pizza in Ontario, Canada. I was amazed by their dough. It was soft, a bit crispy but chewy and the burned outer layer was thick. So I want to specify what I am looking to clone and find out what it was in this dough. It's not the crust that's thick, but the very outer layer on the base is about 2 - 3 mm thick and very tender/chewy. I would like to know what it is that makes a pizza crust come out this way. I can ask my brother to purchase their pizza and take a very close picture of their slice. I can't get it now because I don't live there anymore. I am thinking that it is a combination of high gluten flour, semolina, and most importantly their oven. They use the marshall conveyer belt oven similar to Dominoes.

In the meantime, anyone know what I'm talking about here and what's in it to cause your dough to turn out this way?

Much appreciated
The Pizza DJ

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cloning a specific kind of pizza crust
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »
If you know the name of the place, someone may have already cloned it.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline ThePizzaDJ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 11:53:15 PM »
Sopranoes West in London, Ontario

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 09:22:56 AM »
My guess would be oil or some kind of fat. You might want to give the Papa John's clone thread a look to see if those photos are close to what you are after.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg59217#msg59217

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 11:44:12 AM »
It's definitely an American style delivery pizza.  I can't tell from any of the photos if they bake the pizzas in pans.  The frying effect of baking in oiled pans would have a significant effect on the bottom. 

I don't make that style often, but my favorite American formulation is Big Dave Ostrander's "New Faithful" as it has less oil and sugar than the others.  Lastly, you're not going to duplicate the bake of a conveyor oven, but that's not a bad thing in my book.

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 10:35:26 PM »
It's definitely an American style delivery pizza.  I can't tell from any of the photos if they bake the pizzas in pans.  The frying effect of baking in oiled pans would have a significant effect on the bottom. 

I don't make that style often, but my favorite American formulation is Big Dave Ostrander's "New Faithful" as it has less oil and sugar than the others.  Lastly, you're not going to duplicate the bake of a conveyor oven, but that's not a bad thing in my book.

Yeah... definately looks like just a generic pizza baked on a pan and in a conveyor oven.

Offline ThePizzaDJ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 02:04:47 AM »
It's not oiled. I saw it infront of my eyes. They use a pizza screen. But perhaps oil in their dough plays a roll and yes 100% they use the marshall pizza conveyer oven. And it may look typical of a delivery chain but damnn the crust was something extra. I did not notice an oily dough (inside) as I do with other pizzas.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
It's not oiled. I saw it infront of my eyes. They use a pizza screen. But perhaps oil in their dough plays a roll and yes 100% they use the marshall pizza conveyer oven. And it may look typical of a delivery chain but damnn the crust was something extra. I did not notice an oily dough (inside) as I do with other pizzas.
What do you mean by "it's not oiled"? Did you see them make dough?

Maybe you mean the crust isn't greasy. If that's what you mean, 2-3% oil in baker's percentages isn't going to give you a greasy pizza. I doubt there's oil on the screen, but my guess is that there is some oil in their dough.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 10:50:43 PM »
What do you mean by "it's not oiled"? Did you see them make dough?

Maybe you mean the crust isn't greasy. If that's what you mean, 2-3% oil in baker's percentages isn't going to give you a greasy pizza. I doubt there's oil on the screen, but my guess is that there is some oil in their dough.

I'm not him, but what I think he means, is that the dough is stretched by hand and cooked on a screen NOT in a pan, so the dough is not "oiled".

Offline ThePizzaDJ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 07:07:39 AM »
Yes. I'm more than certain that there is a small percent of oil in their dough forumla as I that has been something I have seen co sistently with ny pizzas but I meant not in the baking process. They use either semolina or corn meal to dust and typical hand stretched followed by placing on the screen and baked through an inpinger. But man I don't know what makes that outside layer of the crust so thick, chewy and tender. I suspect semolina in the dough but perhaps its just bread flour which I've never tried myself.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 10:53:54 AM »
Looks like a Papa Johns sort of.

Thick edge a hand toss
Chewy a higher gluten flour
Tender Semolina can add that effect but tender means different things to different people.

You can start with an All Trumps at 63% hydration, 3% to 8% oil (veggie, corn), I would leave out the semolina until you have a crust that mimics what you want to see if it is close to the texture you want.  Then afterwards experiment with the semolina starting at 5%.  I would bake at 600, with all Trumps you get this nice crispy layer at the very bottom of the crust that is also tender, with the rest of the bottom crust soft and tender, same with the outer edge and some burning as well.  Try on a screen on top of a stone and then stone alone.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:55:26 AM by PizzaGarage »