A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: par baked vs straight baked?  (Read 393 times)

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
par baked vs straight baked?
« on: September 14, 2021, 10:57:02 PM »
Detriot is not my normal thing but I'm looking at adding to my rotation. Seems like there is a split between 'old school' bake it all the way and par bake, cool, top and finish.

Am I correct that all the classic places- Buddy's Shields's, etc do straight bake? It seems like all the Insta-famous new school places do a par bake.

Other than work flow and logistics what is difference in the finished pizza? Can you even tell?

I plan on doing a par bake b/c of logistics and work flow but want to have a better understanding of the tradition, expected results, and reasoning behind why there is this split.

thank you,
Andrew

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: par baked vs straight baked?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:20:06 AM »
I found that if you have the right dough and quantity, with the right pan then straight bake works great. If some of the variables are off or work flow of a commercial operation demands it then par bake is just fine. I'm mostly referring to Sicilian or similar. Detroit isn't beloved by my audience.  ::)

Offline jgeibel

• NY / Sicilian / Neapolitan / Detroit
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »
Iím about to do some experiments myself on the subject. My one thought is that the key feature of these pies is the dark caramelized cheese crust, so it seems like a straight bake would give far more cook time with the cheese in the pan to allow this to develop fully. Iíve cooked a lot of Sicilians and always par bake, but the cheese crust isnít a feature of that so that seems the way to go for that style. Iím going to try cooking both ways and see what I find.   

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 11:57:53 AM »
Iím about to do some experiments myself on the subject. My one thought is that the key feature of these pies is the dark caramelized cheese crust, so it seems like a straight bake would give far more cook time with the cheese in the pan to allow this to develop fully. Iíve cooked a lot of Sicilians and always par bake, but the cheese crust isnít a feature of that so that seems the way to go for that style. Iím going to try cooking both ways and see what I find.

Are there any updates on the two different way - single or double bake?

Offline oliveview

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:00:32 AM »
Firstly, I am the LAST person here on the forum, to consider an authority on these subjects.
Secondly, I don't have ANY experience par-baking my Detroit-style / pan pizzas.
That being said, my results with straight baking have always seemed more than adequate.
Without getting totally into the weeds, my basic bake consists of these key dynamics:

Gas oven at 500ļ
Stone on bottom rack.
Other rack second from top.
Fully dressed pan pizza starts on stone for ten-minutes.
Move to upper rack (rotating 180ļ) and let go for about eight to ten more minutes.

The first half of the bake, on the stone, seems to be the perfect amount to create maximum spring, and start the browning / frying of the crust bottom.
That second half of the bake, towards the top, seems to also promote such good browning of the toppings, that I rarely even need to flip on the broiler. Additionally, being off the stone for the later half also prevents the crust from burning, or getting too hard.

P.S. I always use cheapo Chicago Metallic "aluminized" steel pans.

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:32:41 PM »
UPDATE-
I've settled on doing the par bake.

The results are both solid.

I've been baking 8-10 at a time for my day job once a week to serve by the slice. I did straight one week and par baked another. The variation between pies in the same batch was as much as between the batches. 

The biggest difference was is managing the work flow.

I could see in a professional setting straight bake being prefered if that was the primary focus of the operation. Way fewer steps, less storage requiremnts, simpler training, less critical points for error.  The same could be said for baking at home.

Parbaking has so many advantages for my operations/enviroment. Both in my day job in a cafe that only serves pizza occasionally and my side hustle moblie pizza operation.

In that enviroment the added steps provide several different places to 'park' the process and work it on a schedgule that fits my needs. It is also possible to change the timeline in process if needed.

I settled on the John A. method for Sicilan. 4-5 day CF, pan, proof (8-12 hours), cook, cool and freeze. then top and finish as needed.

For my work flow the advantages of par baking have proven to be huge.

I can make the dough when it suits. Cold feremnt it 3-5 days, pulling to rise and par bake when it works. I can retard the rising panned dough if need be overnight and finsh the rise and bake the next day. Once baked, cooled and frozen it can be fininshed when ready.

It feels like cheating but it works.

Andrew

Offline killerasp

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:07:33 PM »

I settled on the John A. method for Sicilan. 4-5 day CF, pan, proof (8-12 hours), cook, cool and freeze. then top and finish as needed.

Are you parbaking like 50% of the way? till the top is brown just before it browns?

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:45:19 PM »
How are you packaging the parbaked dough to freeze?

wordpress