A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My detroit style deep dish pizza  (Read 519 times)

Offline BillsMonica

• I Love Pizza!
My detroit style deep dish pizza
« on: March 18, 2022, 02:09:13 AM »
2nd attempt at Detroit style. (Yes I know ... "tHaTs NoT dEtRoIt StYlE, tHe SaUcE iS sUpPoSeD tO bE oN tOp!!") Well I don't like how the Sauce would be lukewarm by the time I got around to eating it and I find this way helps moisture also.

Anyways pretty darn proud of how this turned out.

Edit: this recipe was actually a absolute success in disguise of a failure... it was my first time using a poolish and I I ended up adding double the salt and more maple syrup then I wanted and basically putting no yeast in the poolish.  Lol.

But here goes my recipe I was trying to follow

Here is the poolish recipe:
60 grams All Purpose Flour
60 grams Water
0.02 grams Yeast.

Here is the dough recipe:
112 grams Bread Flour
60 grams Water
4.3 grams salt
0.76 grams Yeast
3 grams olive oil

Heres were I went wrong. I accidentally added 4.3 grams of salt to the poolish. I purposely added some Mrs. Butterworth maple syrup but I meant to put in 2.5 grams put it ended up being like 5-6 grams. Lmao 🤣

So I ended up putting 5% salt in my dough and 4% maple syrup.

I left the poolish out at RT for 1 hour and put it in the fridge for 20 hours. I didn't quite see much bubbling. I added it to the dough recipe and put that in the fridge for 18hrs so far, i am pretty sure it rose and it turned out amazing.

So the modified recipe is.

Here is the poolish recipe:
60 grams All Purpose Flour
60 grams Water
0.02 grams Yeast.
4.3 grams of salt.
6 grams of Mrs. BUTTERWORTH maple syrup.

Here is the dough recipe:
112 grams Bread Flour
60 grams Water
4.3 grams salt
0.76 grams Yeast
3 grams olive oil

Here is a more in depth recipe. I just triple it to make a bigger batch so I can freeze  2 and cook another day.  Since I don't always have 48 in advance to plan this.

https://whi.sk/o9Dt2

Offline 9slicePie

Re: My detroit style deep dish pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »
Can you mention what type of pan you used, oven type, and, bake time?

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 07:55:12 PM »
The pan I used is from https://detroitstylepizza.com/collections/featured-products/products/8-x-10-authentic-steel-detroit-style-pizza-pan

I have a gas home oven with a broiler on the top.  This is mine... https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-4-8-cu-ft-freestanding-gas-convection-range-with-steam-cleaning-stainless-steel/6418524.p?skuId=6418524&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw29CRBhCUARIsAOboZbL4FZ7XI9XyIAGn9AJqygf-TPtn78LYHzfX4j8NAv7naWjIYHtSirkaAl-1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bake time is in the recipe... https://whi.sk/o9Dt2

Ok, 16 minutes bake time.... but when we click on "instructions" to get the bake temp, all we who are not registered at Whisk, get is a "Enter EMAIL or PHONE NUMBER" that you can't click out of or hit escape to get back to the instructions. ie. dead end for any more info at all.

Offline BillsMonica

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 08:26:11 PM »
Ok, 16 minutes bake time.... but when we click on "instructions" to get the bake temp, all we who are not registered at Whisk, get is a "Enter EMAIL or PHONE NUMBER" that you can't click out of or hit escape to get back to the instructions. ie. dead end for any more info at all.

Sorry for my ignorance. Should've known my recipe was going to be locked behind whisk's sign up page.

I'll do you one better and post the full instructions here.

For the poolish:

Step 1: Mix all poolish ingredients together and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

Step 2: Then place in refrigerator for 16-24 hours.

For the Dough:

Step 3: Take poolish out of refrigerator and let sit for 1 hour.

Step 4: Combine the water and yeast from the dough recipe and let yeast activate for 10 minutes.

Step 5: Mix in the poolish until thoroughly combined.

Step 6: Add in bread flour followed by the salt. Mix until you have a semi incorporated dough.

Step 7: Add about 1/2 to 3/4 of the oil and form a dough ball.

Step 8: Knead in the remaining oil and divide dough into 3 equal dough balls.

Step 9: Place dough balls in lightly oiled containers with lids or cover containers with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for another 24 hours.

Final Rise:

Step 10: 4 hours before cooking take your dough out of the refrigerator to let it get to room temperature.

Step 11: Take your 8x10 Detroit style deep dish pizza pan and generously oil it on all sides to the top edge.

Step 12: Place dough into oiled pan and lightly press down with only your fingertips to spread the dough. You may have to wait 20 minutes or so a few times to get it to spread to the corners and not to snap back.

Step 13: Preheat your oven to 500F. Let it Preheat for 1 hour. No pizza stone. No pizza Steel. No fancy oven contraption.

Step 14: Place your pan on top of stove as your oven preheats for 1 hour. The subtle heat radiating from the oven helps it rise a bit more.

Step 15: When the hour preheat is done place about a inch of mozzarella cheese around the outer edge of the pizza. Leave the middle area open and bare. This will help the dough not have a gap after the par bake.

Step 16: Place pizza on bottom rack for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 3-5 minutes. Par baking is what makes the bottom of this pizza so crunchy and delicious.

Step 17: Place your pepperoni down on the dough then spread your sauce. I used classico fire roasted pizza sauce and I sprinkled ground black pepper since it's kinda bland by itself.

Step 18: Then I add more mozzarella, this time all over including the edges again. I add it until it is about basically all the way up the pan. Then I put on final pepperonis and other toppings. Make sure to not deflate the pizza with too much weight though. Although it should have some strength from the par bake

Step 19: Finally I place the pizza in oven on the middle rack this time for another 10-12 minutes. Then I take it out let it sit in the pan for preferably 5 minutes but I usually can only make it to about 3 1/2 minutes.

Step 20: Using a metal thin spatula carefully remove the sides from the pan and then place pizza on a cooling rack. The cooling rack is crucial to keeping the crust crisp. Without it the moisture underneath the pizza will soften the crust and make it more floppy. Once removed wait another 2-4 minutes. I usually take pictures during this time.

Step 21: Cut. Serve. And Enjoy.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 08:42:09 PM »
Very nice.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 10:30:16 PM »
Very detailed, thank you Sir!

wordpress