A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cross Stacking  (Read 565 times)

Offline hotsawce

Cross Stacking
« on: May 07, 2019, 03:29:47 PM »
So I used trays for the first time in a while today. After a short too temp proof just to get things moving I went to fridge them down in the walk-in. I cross stacked for 5 minutes and noticed a near immediate skin form on the balls. Is this normal, and if so will the skin go away?

I was quite surprised, as the literature suggests as long as a 2 hour cross stack in the walk-in.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Cross Stacking
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
I'm not sure about the second sentence but a typical cross-stack time is about two hours with the actual cross-stack time determined by the type of cooler (reach-in or walk-in and actual dough ball weight), as we are cooling the dough balls down to an internal temperature of 50 to 55F. Regarding the skin formation the one part that you appear to have missed is the part saying to lightly oil the dough balls after placing them into the dough box(es), yep, you guessed it, the purpose of the oil is to prevent that skin formation during the cross-stack period, details, details, it's all in the details.  :-D
Tom Lehmann/the Dough Doctor

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »
What if you are doing a RT (65F) proof?  Do you cross-stack until the dough reaches RT and then cover?  Put in a fridge until RT so it cools quicker?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:21:01 PM »
No, in that case just target your finished dough temperature to be as close to room temperature as possible, then there is no need to cross-stack.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T