A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mountain Mike's Style  (Read 2952 times)

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
Mountain Mike's Style
« on: April 08, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »
In my pan pizza quest,  stumbled upon the Cali chain Mountain Mike's.

Looks awesome and unique! Well done, nicely risen dough with a golden yellow bottom. All cut into smaller slices. Anyone have a clone of this style and a pan recommendation? Thanks!

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mountain Mike's Style
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »
Apparently, MM is using a dough blend (pre-made) and just add water at the locations.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1951.0

However, when you look at their Allergen Sheet, it includes milk as well. My guess is that it could be milk powder. Even though I have one close by I have never eaten there.

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »
Great Sleuthing!

Looks awesome.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »
MM's Pizza reminds me of small pizza shop, Village Host, in Belmont. The pizzas look very similar.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
Great Sleuthing!

Looks awesome.

You might want to run these pics by Tom Lehmann and see what his take on the crust is and how you could achieve it.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=65.0
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »
Couple more that show the cross section of the crust.

Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
My guess is the dough is risen in the pan, topped and run through a conveyor oven. I don't think they use deck ovens. A conveyor is almost foolproof to operate.
Mike

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
Looks like maybe a blend of cheese, as well.

Wish I could find a picture of the bottom crust. Saw a good one on Instagram I'll try to dig up

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCX_t9lfcf/

Here is the bottom. You can see how light it is.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCX_t9lfcf/

Here is the bottom. You can see how light it is.

It looks very similar to Topper's Pizza that has a lot of locations in Ventura county.  It's a good example of American-style pizza.  It definitely has oil and sugar, though it's not as sugar-laden as the national chains, and it's baked on a conveyor oven. 

I was given this formulation by a professional operator that made similar pizzas.  It could serve as a departure point for your self-discovery:

Flour - 100% (use up to 20% semolina or corn flour)
Water - 47-50%
Salt - 2.3%
Oil - 3.03%
Sugar Ė 2%
Instant Dry Yeast Ė variable
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 08:11:05 PM »
It looks very similar to Topper's Pizza that has a lot of locations in Ventura county.  It's a good example of American-style pizza.  It definitely has oil and sugar, though it's not as sugar-laden as the national chains, and it's baked on a conveyor oven. 

I was given this formulation by a professional operator that made similar pizzas.  It could serve as a departure point for your self-discovery:

Water - 47-50%
Salt - 2.3%
Oil - 3.03%
Sugar Ė 2%

I hope PKM has a strong mixer. 47-50% hydration is a PITA for almost any home mixer, despite the 3% oil.

But come to think of it...since we have now three different places with similar looking crusts, it is entirely possible that they use an outside dough vendor, or a vendor that supplies them with premixes. I've seen those vendors at the Expo this year and now e-mails are starting to trickle in from those guys.
Mike

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »
I hope PKM has a strong mixer. 47-50% hydration is a PITA for almost any home mixer, despite the 3% oil.

But come to think of it...since we have now three different places with similar looking crusts, it is entirely possible that they use an outside dough vendor, or a vendor that supplies them with premixes. I've seen those vendors at the Expo this year and now e-mails are starting to trickle in from those guys.

Restaurant Depot sells Lamonica frozen dough balls.  There was a place in Dowtown LA that sold passable NY-style pizza made with it. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
Restaurant Depot sells Lamonica frozen dough balls.  There was a place in Dowtown LA that sold passable NY-style pizza made with it.

J,

MM's dough, and the pics you posted from Toppers, almost look like a laminated dough. I remember from Village Host, pics above, that their crust was light but very firm and supported all toppings. They were able to load a pie to the hilt.

Not sure though how they did it.
Mike

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »
MM's Pizza reminds me of small pizza shop, Village Host, in Belmont. The pizzas look very similar.

If I remember correctly, Lydia (the Round Table clone guru) stated some years ago that she noticed some Round Table pizza restaurants that were in her area in California at that time had changed over to Mountain Mike's (decision of the franchise owner perhaps?), and she thought the pizza was similar to Round Table.  From the looks of it, it appears to me to be a cousin to RT.  I am familiar with Village Host, but I do not recall ever actually having one of their pizzas (or if I did, it was decades ago). From the looks of things, I agree this pizza appears to be in that same family of American style pizzas.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »
If I remember correctly, Lydia (the Round Table clone guru) stated some years ago that she noticed some Round Table pizza restaurants that were in her area in California at that time had changed over to Mountain Mike's (decision of the franchise owner perhaps?), and she thought the pizza was similar to Round Table.  From the looks of it, it appears to me to be a cousin to RT.  I am familiar with Village Host, but I do not recall ever actually having one of their pizzas (or if I did, it was decades ago). From the looks of things, I agree this pizza appears to be in that same family of American style pizzas.

-ME

ME,

A bunch of RT restaurants have closed around here, the latest as far as I know was at Strawberry in Marin. Village Host, man, those pizzas were no-frills, traditional American, fully loaded and quite tasty, especially after a night of partying. But you can eat their stuff only maybe once a year or you'll end up at UCSF's cardiology department  ;D

Their crust was very distinctive, though. I have to check out MM and see if it is similar. From the looks of it, it could very well be.
Mike

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 01:44:21 AM »
I have had Mountain Mike's pizza a LOT when I lived in CA. I would classify it as an American style, not a laminated cracker crust. The crust is very chewy in texture, so probably a very high gluten flour with a fair amount of mixing. What makes their pies so good are the toppings. They have some good, fresh ingredients, which is probably why this is such a regional business.

Offline BradPalm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 12:25:54 AM »

Water - 47-50%
Salt - 2.3%
Oil - 3.03%
Sugar Ė 2%

I tried Toppers not long ago and it is identical to my favorite chain, Me n Eds a bit further north in California.  Is that formulation given pretty close to Toppers? Any idea of percentage of yeast? Also, any idea of proof time and process, or dough ball sizes?

Thank you!

Offline Pizza-Face

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 05:27:53 PM »
I tried Toppers not long ago and it is identical to my favorite chain, Me n Eds a bit further north in California.  Is that formulation given pretty close to Toppers? Any idea of percentage of yeast? Also, any idea of proof time and process, or dough ball sizes?

Thank you!

4 year old thread, but maybe someone remembers..............

wordpress