Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Tonybrony on 25 Mar 2022
  • Greetings All!

Any St. Louis Style fans, enthusiasts, or experts here!?

I hail from St. Louis and currently reside in Arizona. It's been a few years since I've gone home but got to know the owner of Angelo's in Blackjack quite well. This is the region of St. Louis Style that I am after. Although I'll probably start an argument, and for the sake of ease, I will group Angelo's, Pirrone's, Faraci's, and Serra's in with each other. This is the North County St. Louis pizza taste that I'm after.

I'm looking to recreate Angelo's, or any of the above's sauce. I know that they are using Stanislaus Full Red Extra Heavy Tomato Puree and Full Red California Tomato Paste. I've attached a pic below.

This sauce is very simple and does not look to contain anything but is so incredibly flavorable. I would sincerely appreciate any help or experience with pointing me in the right direction on how I can create this style sauce. Much appreciated!
  • #2 by TXCraig1 on 25 Mar 2022
  • I'm certainly no expert, but my understanding is that other than an extra-heavy dose of oregano, it wasn't much different than other cooked sauces. Dry oregano, dry basil, garlic powder, sugar, salt.

I don't think the sauce has as much to do with the signature flavor as does the yeastless crust and provel cheese.
  • #3 by Tonybrony on 26 Mar 2022
  • Unfortunately that is not correct. You’re talking about the traditional idea of what St. Louis Style pizza is, aka IMO’s or Cecil Whittakers. As I mentioned this is not North St. Louis County pizza, which was started at Ponticello’s and Luigi’s. This pizza has a thin crust made with yeast. It is not made with a shell and docked. It is flattened using a sheeter. The crust tastes like a good loaf of Italian bread. So whereas you’re right about the taste of the crust contributing to the “signature flavor”, you’re wrong about the crust and sauce type. If you look at the picture I posted, you won’t see any oregano or basil.

Have you ever been to any of the pizzerias that I referenced?
  • #4 by pmad on 25 May 2022
  • I hate seeing IMO's referred to as "St. Louis Style"
    It isn't.

I grew up on Halls Ferry Inn, Arcobasso's, Pontacello's, etc.
    That is St. Louis Style pizza.

I have yet to see any good crust recipes that match the North County stuff.

My sauce isn't bad

Canned tomatoes
    Paste
    Salt
    Oregano
    Garlic
    A bit of honey

Blend, never heat.
  • #5 by Tonybrony on 26 May 2022
  • pmad, you said it ALL!

Even more specific: that is North County St. Louis pizza! I think this is much more superior to even the other pizzerias around the metro area. I personally feel that Angelo's is superior to all in North County. Halls Ferry Inn came from Ponticello's, which was awesome. As a matter of fact, all of the North County pizzerias originated from Ponticello's.

I actually studied with Angelo's on their dough. There are two secrets there: the yeast and the rise time.

In regards to the sauce, respectfully, I disagree. If the sauce is heated, and in my opinion, it should be, it should always be low and covered. That's why you see places like Faraci's, Pirrone's, Angelo's, and Fratelli's using covered steam kettles. Both heating time and temperature affect flavor loss, unless done in the right way.

Is your sauce based on a particular favorite pizzeria?
  • #6 by RHawthorne on 26 May 2022
  • I'll confess right off the bat that I'm totally ignorant about how this style of pizza (and sauce) is traditionally made, but I have to say that I think the idea of simmering a sauce with a heavy dose of paste in it sounds rather odd to me. The whole idea with paste (or at least one of the main reason it's used) is to be able to make a sauce quickly without having to heat it and thicken it. I could see if there was not very much in it, but if there is, it would seem to me that the sauce would come out inordinately thick and sweet, and I don't see how that's advantageous. In reality, all canned tomatoes are already cooked before they're canned anyway. This method just sounds like overkill to me, unless I'm missing something important.
  • #7 by pmad on 29 May 2022
  • Gave it another try. Not bad.
    Hamburger / onion
    Sausage / mushroom
  • #8 by tracy on 02 Jun 2022
  • I'm from South County St. Louis and I can't say I've ever heard of any of the pizzerias Tony or pmad have mentioned.  In the area I grew up in, "St. Louis style" is synonymous with Imo's or maybe Cecil Whittaker's or Elicia's.  A great many Italian-American restaurants and sports bars also serve generic square-cut bar/tavern-style, which sounds more like what they are describing.  The concept of "North County St. Louis style pizza" is new to me; I'll have to ask my family in the area what their experiences are.
  • #9 by pmad on 02 Jun 2022
  • Tracy, years ago, there was a pizza place at Baumgarter and Lemay Ferry (where Drunken Noodles is now. I can’t remember the name. But that is the closest to NorCo pizza I’ve ever had in South county.
  • #10 by tracy on 03 Jun 2022
  • Sure, I know exactly where you are describing.  I think that might have been a St. Louis Pizza and Wings location.

Are you familiar with the Gianino's family of restaurants?  At least one of their locations offers what I think you guys are describing (i.e., thin crust, but not Imo's.)
  • #11 by KaleidoScoops on 06 Jun 2022
  • This was my attempt at a STL Style with a thin sourdough and 00 flour crust from Ken Forkish. Next time I'm going to omit the sourdough and add more diastatic malt. It's not the perfect facsimile of course but it sure scratches that itch.
    Cheese was 100% provel from DiGreggario's on the Hill. I pick up a block whenever I am back home.
  • #12 by HouseofProvel on 04 Aug 2022
  • Been working on a home made Provel recipe that doesn't use liquid smoke. I think I'm getting closer to something I'm happy with.

Top was made with smoked paprika. Bottom was made with applewood smoked gouda.
Pages:
Actions