Pages:
Actions
  • #41 by global_dev on 05 Aug 2022
  • Saw these neapolitans on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pizzaoven/comments/wdtsoz/walmart_expert_grill_pizza_oven_first_bake/

This was his first ever bake and he did not preheat the oven long enough or run a large enough flame, but the oven does work.

https://imgur.com/a/NDP1maF

If you use paypal10 promo code on the walmart website it is $87. Not a big difference though

That second link to Imgur is me!.
    I replied to that reddit thread posted above! That was with apple wood chunks i use for my smokes in the kamados. I didnt have the 12” wood splits yet iirc.

Definitely learning by trial by fire. Every day i am getting smarter on fuel needs for the heat and flame. I was definitely underfeeding the fire with smaller splits, it was working ok, but as soon as i dropped a larger split in the chamber it made total sense as to how much i should have in there. 

The 7” turner is a must for me, it wasn’t  too hard to learn the technique and is a lot of fun. I dont leave the front cover on for cooks, only for the reheats.

Let me know if i can give any hands on pics or answer anything about the oven.
  • #42 by Jackie Tran on 05 Aug 2022
  • I highly doubt this oven can make a decent NP pizza.   Lol
  • #43 by whyster on 06 Aug 2022
  • I'm considering getting a better 15"x15" stone for the oven, but have some questions:
    -A thicker stone would obviously take longer to heat up, but would I have to wait longer in between pizzas?
    -The oven does have room for something a little thicker without any modifications, what would you guys recommended? The current stone is 10mm thick, would going up to .59" (15mm) cordierite make much of a difference?
  • #44 by mosabrina on 06 Aug 2022
  • I highly doubt this oven can make a decent NP pizza.   Lol

What makes you doubt it? It's the same basic concept as ooni ovens and in some ways it is more thickly insulated than some of their models. From what i've seen from all of the people on reddit/elsewhere who have limited experience with any sort of pizza oven, they are already able to do pretty good things.

It may not be the easiest to use but you can figure it out. Also you might be able to use a usb fan pointing at the vents in the back which some people use for airflow in the older ooni ovens.

https://preview.redd.it/7n81hfkupzf91.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=e34dd3134170b5a17d70233202e2b8a6b0babe1f

In this picture the bottom of his pizza looks great. If he could just run a larger flame on top, this oven is totally promising.
  • #45 by Jackie Tran on 06 Aug 2022
  • You said it yourself.  IF he could run a larger flame on top...Doesn't seem to have enough even heating to pull off a 60sec bake.  Let's see some pictures of NP pies coming from these ovens.  Sub 60 second bake.   If you can do that, I'll retract my statement.   
  • #46 by mosabrina on 06 Aug 2022
  • You said it yourself.  IF he could run a larger flame on top...Doesn't seem to have enough even heating to pull off a 60sec bake.  Let's see some pictures of NP pies coming from these ovens.  Sub 60 second bake.   If you can do that, I'll retract my statement.

i don't believe sub 60s is intended on these metal ovens. The max temp they are designed to run is 932-950F because the metal seems to get weak at temperatures above that. You'd have to run really close to the fire and really high up.

As long as it is below 80s I think that is a reasonable expectation for these metal ovens

You can see this on the gozney dome website they list the max temp of the dome at 950F even though it does get a lot hotter than that.

Karu 16 thermometer reads HHH above 950F although I think that's already too hot as the thermometer is positioned by the vent.
  • #47 by TXCraig1 on 06 Aug 2022
  • I think one of the things hurting this oven is the chimney. I'd try it with the chimney off and the hole plugged with something with some mass like a brick cut to fit the hole. Then bake near to the front of the oven.
  • #48 by wotavidone on 06 Aug 2022
    Only has to be sub 90 seconds to be a decent NP. In fact, the literature calls for 60-90 to qualify as an NP.
  • #49 by global_dev on 06 Aug 2022

I dont have the 00 flour or dough skills right now to pull it off, but as far as even heat, are we talking floor to ceiling or front to back? Something else? I can easily have a flame rolling out of the chimney, so you can check that box.  I’ve measured the stone at 850. I’m sure someone with more experience could tell me how much wood vs lump makes sense. I’m used to low and slow with whatever is on hand, not hot and fast, so it make take me time to get there with both the dough and oven. Maybe i wont be able to, skills, software or hardware…. It will be fun and delicious trying.

• #50 by wotavidone on 06 Aug 2022
  • I dont have the 00 flour or dough skills right now to pull it off, but as far as even heat, are we talking floor to ceiling or front to back? Something else? I can easily have a flame rolling out of the chimney, so you can check that box.  I’ve measured the stone at 850. I’m sure someone with more experience could tell me how much wood vs lump makes sense. I’m used to low and slow with whatever is on hand, not hot and fast, so it make take me time to get there with both the dough and oven. Maybe i wont be able to, skills, software or hardware…. It will be fun and delicious trying.
    Unmalted, unbleached, unimproved, unfortified plain old supermarket flour with no sugar or oil in the dough will work in a pinch.
  • #51 by global_dev on 06 Aug 2022
  • Unmalted, unbleached, unimproved, unfortified plain old supermarket flour with no sugar or oil in the dough will work in a pinch.

I’ve been using KA AP unbleached. But todays batch also has a 2 balls of 50/50 mix of the KA and the end of caputo 00 red chefs. Both arent super new, so time to reorder soon.
  • #52 by mosabrina on 06 Aug 2022
  • If you are measuring 850 on the stone that's more than hot enough for neapolitan

Once the stone is that hot, add a split to get the flame as big as you can get it and then wait maybe 1 minute with the door closed to get the heat up. Then try baking a pizza

I imagine this thing should work with no mods. And at $87, not bad
  • #53 by global_dev on 06 Aug 2022
  • Did session 4, 5 pies total, i browned pretty quikcly (wasnt bread flour like I thought earlier)   AP and 00/AP ,  also used more toppings than previous. Mushrooms, sausage, onions.

But check the pics and vids below

Chimney shot
    https://i.imgur.com/x0GOHm2.mp4

Flame roll shot
    https://i.imgur.com/U8keMaz.mp4
  • #54 by mosabrina on 07 Aug 2022
  • When you took the vid of the flame roll shot, can you get the stone to 860 degrees and launch the pizza exactly with the flames as shown? Maybe even hotter because the stone is thin, but otherwise don't think you can do much better than that.

Overshoot the stone past what you would normally do because it is thin. You look to have a lot of side heat but I'm wondering if just increasing the heat on top will fix it. Your cheese is browning because it is dry mozzarella but that is normal at high temps.
  • #55 by global_dev on 07 Aug 2022
  • When you took the vid of the flame roll shot, can you get the stone to 860 degrees and launch the pizza exactly with the flames as shown? Maybe even hotter because the stone is thin, but otherwise don't think you can do much better than that.

Overshoot the stone past what you would normally do because it is thin. You look to have a lot of side heat but I'm wondering if just increasing the heat on top will fix it. Your cheese is browning because it is dry mozzarella but that is normal at high temps.

Yeah that was costco shredded mozzarella. My kitchen pantry is low on the right stuff and my family wanted something other than what i was making  before. Maybe time to do a fougasse or some baguettes.

This can get a bit hotter with more lump and wood. I need to cut the splits length down and it would be easier to feed the fire. i can definitely launch the pizza with that flame out the chimney for a bit. Would a stack of two thin stones or a a 15mm thick stone be better? Or a thin steel under a thin stone?
  • #56 by whyster on 07 Aug 2022
  • Second attempt - I turned the pizza every 15 seconds (got distracted a couple times) - done in about 90 seconds. I needed to throw 1 or two big chunks in while I was stretching the dough. Some of the crusts were a little less cooked than I'd like - probably need to upgrade to a thicker stone.

This is my first pizza oven an I definitely do not regret the $97+tax that I paid for it.

I'd suggest using a metal surface to keep the oven on - I currently have it on a scrap Formica countertop that's probably not a good idea since the surface under the oven gets up to around 300f. I'd also suggest an aluminum baking pan to catch some of the embers that pop out when you are adding wood chunks.

• #57 by jeeptek1 on 10 Aug 2022
  • On sale right now $97  !!! 
  • #58 by mosabrina on 10 Aug 2022
  • On sale right now $97  !!!

$87. There is a promo code paypal10
Pages:
Actions