A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Have you guys seen Jeffs Famous pizza recipe site ? Blows up some myths.  (Read 10867 times)

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

Jeff may not have been the first to talk about autolyse (rest periods were known) or wet kneads (well documented on The Artisan), but he was the first to make things things clear.

I think part of the reason why certain members find Jeff unpalatable is that he is blunt. And he does not hesitate to give himself credit.

I like blunt truths. I hate running circles around 'maybe's and various euphemisms. And at the end of the day, no one can dispute that Jeff has achieved the best NY Neapolitan pizza on this forum. And his list of 'key points' are much more enlightening than the idea of 'balance'.

Jeff is talking about priority. And spelt the top three things very clear: Technique, Heat and Starter. These are the first order variables, the rest pale in comparison. No one spelt out this idea before. No one before Jeff made any sense of what is truly important and what is only marginal.

But on the count of flour, I think the reason why so many disagree with Jeff is due to the inavailability of high temp ovens. At low temp, I think high-gluten flour can be considered a first order variable in reproducing NY style pizza. But at high temp, flour is less important. This is the reason for much contention on the issue of flour.

So while Jeff is right that heat is more important than flour, within the constraint of regular ovens, flour certainly makes a big difference.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source

But on the count of flour, I think the reason why so many disagree with Jeff is due to the unavailability of high temp ovens. At low temp, I think high-gluten flour can be considered a first order variable in reproducing NY style pizza. But at high temp, flour is less important. This is the reason for much contention on the issue of flour.

So while Jeff is right that heat is more important than flour, within the constraint of regular ovens, flour certainly makes a big difference.

Well written.  I can offer no better comparsion than DKM's cracker crust recipe.  Almost fifty years ago a pizza maker by accident or intent made up this very unusual recipe using the resources he or she had available.  It is pizza in an American definition and extraordinarily good.  High gluten flour is hard to get in Italy seems like I read somewhere.  If Italy had high gluten flour when pizza began, I wonder what their pizza would be like today.

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
Making a low hydration dough with oil, sugar and tons of IDY and watching it spin uselessly to a Kitchen Aid hook was not going to improve just because you switched over to hi gluten

That is where I was at.  I'm really starting to like the pizza I'm making now.  It isn't perfect, but I owe a lot to many people on this board.  There are thousands of extremely talented cooks out there, but rare are the ones who freely share so that other families can enjoy their discoveries.  This forum is an anomaly - I guess because 99%+ of us do not make or intend to make any income off of pizza.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 11:43:20 AM by Mahoney »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Don’t get me wrong I take nothing away from Jeff or his contributions.  I also like blunt, straightforward people.  I’ve been called that myself (as well as a few other things).

However, others had brought up very same issues and given pretty much the same advice.  Jeff did do a wonderful job of summarizing everything and gave his personal take on the issues and what he sees as being important.

Good Job, Jeff.  I enjoy your posts.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
That is where I was at.  I'm really starting to like the pizza I'm making now.  It isn't perfect, but I owe a lot to many people on this board.  There are thousands of extremely talented cooks out there, but rare are the ones who freely share so that other families can enjoy their discoveries.  This forum is an anomaly - I guess because 99%+ of us do not make or intend to make any income off of pizza.

That is important.  Much of what I like to share is making a “homemade” pizza, not necessarily “restaurant” pizza.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

A D V E R T I S E M E N T