A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My progress thread  (Read 2383 times)

Offline typicalsam

Re: My progress thread
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 11:23:07 AM »
yesterday i had a bad day at work and was too hungry to make a fuss over the pizza prep or pics

i think i did 65% hr this time, didnt really notice a massive difference but it was a pretty lazy bake. sunday was hungover after valentines so what i did was prepare for 29 hr RT @ 20c so about 0.03% IDY, but then with about 7 hours remaining i chucked it all in the fridge for 24 hours, then back out for about 5 hours at RT

the dough tasted great actually, had a slightly tang familiar to sourdough. i didnt quite get the dough up to temp enough before baking so some of the blisters are a bit big

firstly - mine nice and simple with some decide salami
secondly - heart shaped GERD suitable pizza (low fat and non acidic)
third - 4 cheese (far too much cheese) that didnt quite get into a heart shape  :-D :-D :-D

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 08:11:48 AM »
first pizza disaster in a while!

I was doing a 9hr RT ferment but i was also baking a couple of loaves of sourdough in my conventional oven (which ran for maybe 3 hours in total)

My pizza dough ended up massively over fermented. the balls looked great in the tray...until i touched then. Super sticky, could barely get them out of the tray, and when i did, they instantly deflated.

The first one just felt.... so small. I actually weighed it to check I didnt ball them wrong. It was dense, sticky, and snapped back really badly. I managed to salvage one, the second one, not so much, and after that I gave up.

I've been using IDY and pizzapp with reasonable success until now so I think it was just the temperature of the room. I'm going to redo the exact same formula to check but just with a single dough ball that I might not even bother baking. I'll have a good idea by how it handles I think.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 06:07:38 PM »
Same formula but with a more steady room temp = success. The dough felt pretty "normal" when I opened it. Went to about 34cm by accident so it was a bit thin. Wasn't planning to bake it anyway but an interesting oberservation from partner who first pointed out it looked bigger than our normal pizzas

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 05:44:17 AM »
oh boy i have some catching up to do

so i settled the 65% formula back down - it was definitely running the oven to bake bread that pushed the room temp up and wrecked by dough. did ... 6 or so with my standard formula, got a bit nervous and threw the whole thing into the fridge for 2 hours in the middle of the day because i was paranoid that the dough was fermenting too fast!  :-D pizzas came out fine anyway

pepperoni, pesto and peppers, margherita

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 05:54:48 AM »
i think i went to 67% next. tried to recreate an old favourite kebab shop conveyor belt pizza - the spicy mince pizza! the spice mix is something like cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli, tabasco, sugar, soy sauce. just a spontaneous mix of stuff on hand

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 02:09:03 PM by typicalsam »

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »
Ok I realised if I don't do the post on the day of the eating I barely ever get round to it.

Last couple of bakes have been 70% hydration and quite successful. To be honest it's more for the challenge and to develop my technique more than anything else - the pizzas are softer but... I don't know if or why they need to be 😂

Once I get this "down" ie less nervous and more consistent I might have a think about the type of pizza I want to EAT rather than what I want to learnt to BAKE. Maybe something around 400 for 2:30 or so to get a little crispy, sometimes I crave NY style chew and cheese, I recently had a pan pizza from my local chip shop, sometimes I even have the Chicago Town mini deep dish microwave pizzas. Maybe I'll find a hybrid with a "sauce" that has garlic powder, onion powder, oregano etc. Plenty of time to figure it out...

Anyway, today's bake. I stopped timing the bakes so closely because I do it by eye and if I'm watching closely its quite easy to tell when to start turning the pizza. I think around 1:30-1:45. 70% hydration, 21hr room temp ferment witi IDY.

wordpress