A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough ripping - *Advice Needed*  (Read 591 times)

Offline ryandbest

Dough ripping - *Advice Needed*
« on: March 11, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
Aloha Everyone!

tldr: My dough is ripping in the middle sometimes causing ingredients to fall out and be unable to rotate. Last time I accidentally ripped it with the turning peel itself.

I'm a consistent lurker and rare poster. I recently migrated to the Roccbox after using a Blackstone for years. I felt pretty confident in my skills but the Roccbox has quickly highlighted just how many "baby guards" I have had up while cooking. For instance, the ripping problem is not new to me but with the blackstone I could let it just sit and it would continue to rotate. Now, with the Roccbox, I have to to turn it myself... so a ripped pizza is quite a different story.

Dough: TxCraig Neapolitan Recipe - I haved followed his method almost exactly for years, adjusted recently to 60% hydration to see if that would help (no dice). I also use Instant Yeast (I know..), b/c I could never figure out the Ischia culture. Maybe I'll give that another try
Ferment: usually 9 hours RT (Hawaii so - 73 deg), then about 11 hrs CT (Refrigerator). I currently have a batch that I am extending the CT fermentation to about 36 hrs.
               I've tried some different recipes too but I still managed to rip at least one. I try to only let the dough sit out for about 2-3 hours at RT before prepping.

I watch lots of videos and after about 30 seconds folks are confidently able to turn their pizzas with a stable, rigid bottom. I don't feel like I'm getting that effect. Right now I am usually getting a rip in the middle or am burning one side b/c I'm too nervous to try and turn it earlier. I can also see when I stretch them if the center is getting really thin... but I don't really know that it's my stretching technique. I have tried a few different methods and from my perspective at least, am doing the same as the pizzaiolo's

Anyways, any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Other than that I am loving the challenge but am a little shocked by the 12" window on the Roccbox.

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough ripping - *Advice Needed*
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 10:06:26 PM »
Are you letting the stone preheat enough? If the stone is not hot enough it won’t set the crust quickly enough and make turning difficult. Just a thought.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 12:46:24 AM »
Many other things can cause this problem:
- the thinness of the dough skin (depending on the weight of the dough ball);
- the time you need to top the pizza (sauce soaking in);
- the hydration of the dough (soft or stiff);
- an over-fermented dough (weak gluten structure);
- the temperature of the stone like tkmcmichael just mentioned...

I would analyze these points one by one and correct the flaw(s).
I would also skip the 12H RTF, put them after the CF instead. And 12H seems long, but it depends on your yeast amount and RT (if you take the dough out of the fridge the morning so it's ready the evening 12H later then that's perfect).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline ryandbest

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 02:35:18 AM »
Many other things can cause this problem:
- the thinness of the dough skin (depending on the weight of the dough ball);
- the time you need to top the pizza (sauce soaking in);
- the hydration of the dough (soft or stiff);
- an over-fermented dough (weak gluten structure);
- the temperature of the stone like tkmcmichael just mentioned...

I would analyze these points one by one and correct the flaw(s).
I would also skip the 12H RTF, put them after the CF instead. And 12H seems long, but it depends on your yeast amount and RT (if you take the dough out of the fridge the morning so it's ready the evening 12H later then that's perfect).

Thank you both! I think after doing some reading through my problem is likely over-fermentation. I am using too much IDY and then fermenting too long at RT. I've also lost some of my gusto for experimentation so that's likely why I didn't realize sooner. I'll experiment with the next batch and see if that fixes it!

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 07:03:24 PM »
I also have this problem from time to time. For me it's either stretching the middle too thin, or I think my turning peel method, either 1. Using a cold turning peel or 2. Rushing and not being careful enough. Maybe a combination of all 3.

Last time I had a tear in the middle I managed to slide my launch peel back under the pie and more or less cooked it on the peel. Its mental and the pizza stuck a bit but it was better to have a mostly cooked pizza stuck on the peel, than an a smoking inferno of pizza components in your oven  ;D

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress