A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
General Pizza Making / Autolyse Or Not
« Last post by Bbqguy on Today at 08:11:14 AM »
Id like some input on using an autolyse in my work flow for a NY style dough.  I use KABF which I believe I read on here has an absorption rate of around 62%. I also recall reading, probably here, that Tom Lehman suggested that an autolyse is not really beneficial unless the absorption rate is up around the 70% mark. What are your thoughts on using an autolyse? Also do you just have to flour and water mixed for it adding the yeast and salt after the autolyse and do you mix all of the flour?
Home Ovens / Re: New pizza oven Carbon kitchen
« Last post by barryvabeach on Today at 07:49:25 AM »
Ryan, not to hijack this thread, but hard to understand why Ooni didn't realize that when they were making it.  It could not have been that hard to make two burner tubes with a gap at the left rear,  instead of one with a bend,  or did some other work on the burner to minimize the heat difference.
I tried the following pizzapp protocol a few days ago and ended up with an over-fermented dough

For 2 balls:
ball weight 250g
water 70%
fats 2%
salt 2,2%
RT leavening 1h at 24
CT leavening 46h at 4
ADY 0.36%

I respected the time and temp indicated in the protocol:
After kneading, I let the dough rest at room temp (24) for an hour, then 46h in the fridge at 4
The only thing that doesn't seem to be taken into account in the app is the time between when you take the balls out from the fridge and the moment where you bake them, which for me was around 3h30 at 26-27...
So my question is:
Does the time indicated as RT leavening include the time during which the balls rest after being taken out of the fridge (so in this case, that would be 1h + 3h30)? But it would not make any sense as the dough temp out of the fridge is around 4....
Even if that time is supposed to serve the sole purpose of letting the dough come back at RT, there is still some fermentation happening, so it should be taken into account in the time spent at RT in the app...
Maybe I'm missing something super obvious here, thank you for enlightening me!

Galle
Neapolitan Style / Re: The 1:8:8 sourdough leavin
« Last post by EthanPizza on Today at 12:39:46 AM »
Tonight's crust was significantly more subdued.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by Grease Wheel on Yesterday at 11:57:09 PM »
GMBF, 64%, 72-96 hour CF, 265 grams, 10 Lloyds pan on steel, 6 min, 600

Gluten Free / Re: Detroit Style
« Last post by HansB on Yesterday at 11:03:19 PM »
I found that using a bit of cheese around the edge prevents the dough from pulling away from the pan during the par bake.
« Last post by Jon in Albany on Yesterday at 10:37:55 PM »
You're welcome. Here is my latest formula. The amounts for the round are for a thinner Bar Pie version that I'm developing.

Pan Pizza w/Caputo Fioreglut

8X10-285g      10 Round-203g

Flour   100%         140g            100g
Water     95%         133g              95g
Sugar       3%          4.2g                3g
Salt       2.5%          3.5g             2.5g
Olive Oil       2%          2.8g                2g
CY          1%          1.4g                1g

Total        203.5%

Mix

1- Dissolve yeast in water
2- Add flour
3- Mix on low to incorporate
4- Add salt mix
5- Slowly add oil and mix for 4-5 minutes until smooth
6- Place in covered container, cold proof for 24 hours

Par Bake   

1- Portion out  into well oiled pan
2- Cover and let rise, around 5 hours @78F
3- Uncover and bake with some cheese around the edge at 550F until its lightly colored, about 6 minutes
4- Remove from pan and cool. Wrap and bake or freeze.

Bake

1- Place into well oiled pan, apply cheese covering corners and sides
2- Add sauce and toppings
3- Bake at 525 until done, approximately11-13 minutes

That's interesting. Cheese around the edges for the par bake.

I mixed and parbaked one of these some time ago. Plans got shifted and never did the final bake on that GF pizza. It's still in the freezer but I think I'd start over instead of finishing that one. Maybe try again next weekend. Not sure if time will allow it.
« Last post by HansB on Yesterday at 09:43:23 PM »
Looks awesome! I recently just visited Austin and went to Via313. My wife is gluten free and hasnt stopped talking about that pizza. Im going to try your recipe very soon! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. Here is my latest formula. The amounts for the round are for a thinner Bar Pie version that I'm developing.

Pan Pizza w/Caputo Fioreglut

8X10-285g      10 Round-203g

Flour   100%         140g            100g
Water     95%         133g              95g
Sugar       3%          4.2g                3g
Salt       2.5%          3.5g             2.5g
Olive Oil       2%          2.8g                2g
CY          1%          1.4g                1g

Total        203.5%

Mix

1- Dissolve yeast in water
2- Add flour
3- Mix on low to incorporate
4- Add salt mix
5- Slowly add oil and mix for 4-5 minutes until smooth
6- Place in covered container, cold proof for 24 hours

Par Bake   

1- Portion out  into well oiled pan
2- Cover and let rise, around 5 hours @78F
3- Uncover and bake with some cheese around the edge at 550F until its lightly colored, about 6 minutes
4- Remove from pan and cool. Wrap and bake or freeze.

Bake

1- Place into well oiled pan, apply cheese covering corners and sides
2- Add sauce and toppings
3- Bake at 525 until done, approximately11-13 minutes
« Last post by Ryan R on Yesterday at 09:39:53 PM »
Barry- you are spot on about trying to cook a larger pizza in the Koda 16. You have to lower the flame to get the front ready to turn before the back burns. It kind of defeats the purpose of cooking at 850-900f. I started with this oven, so I learned to deal with the intricacies of when to turn, flame control, etc. I now own a Fontana Mangiafuoco gas oven and its incredibly easy to cook with comparatively (it better be for the price, right? Haha) The Koda is still an awesome portable oven that I would recommend. Well worth the price.
« Last post by dedede on Yesterday at 09:37:35 PM »
I'm looking to step up from my Koda 12 to a Carbon as a result of all the great posts on this thread.

Are people using makeshift doors like I am using on my Koda? Is that necessary?

If anybody has one of the $100 off coupons floating around, I would be super appreciative!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
wordpress