A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gozney Dome or Maximus Arena  (Read 1102 times)

Offline peakpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Gozney Dome or Maximus Arena
« on: November 14, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »
I am having a hard time deciding between purchasing the Gozney Dome dual fuel or the Maximus Arena pizza oven.  I had purchased the Dome and I am still waiting delivery, and in the mean time I have researched and gained interest in the Maximus Arena oven.  It seems like a more practical wood fired oven. My main goal is to focus and work on wood fired pizza and bread.  Both seem like they will be good ovens.  My concerns with the dome are the lack of size of the internal cooking area, and the lack of multiple fire placement positions(must put it over the air vent).  Only concern with the Maximus is I have heard some differing opinions on the fire bricks used; scorching at higher temperatures, and door width is just under 15 inches so that limits the pizza size.

Does anyone have either of these ovens, and if so, any feedback about them would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ilya_n

Re: Gozney Dome or Maximus Arena
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 10:23:15 PM »
I am having a hard time deciding between purchasing the Gozney Dome dual fuel or the Maximus Arena pizza oven.  I had purchased the Dome and I am still waiting delivery, and in the mean time I have researched and gained interest in the Maximus Arena oven.  It seems like a more practical wood fired oven. My main goal is to focus and work on wood fired pizza and bread.  Both seem like they will be good ovens.  My concerns with the dome are the lack of size of the internal cooking area, and the lack of multiple fire placement positions(must put it over the air vent).  Only concern with the Maximus is I have heard some differing opinions on the fire bricks used; scorching at higher temperatures, and door width is just under 15 inches so that limits the pizza size.

Does anyone have either of these ovens, and if so, any feedback about them would be greatly appreciated.

Gozney is a proven reputable brand. Maximus is an imitation of pizza party. If they followed everything to the T it would be a great oven. You mentioned baking bread where the stable temps and retention are important. Smaller oven mouth would allow for better heat retention at the expense of launch ability and comfort. I’d also add to that is the launch angle and removing the peel post launch.

Realistically think of what you are planning to make 90% of the time and go according to that. Those one offs may or may not happen. I believe both of those ovens would do great as far as steel ovens go.

Good luck with your selection.

Offline Pandasbecats

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 10:54:18 PM »
I would go Gozney Dome over Maximus Arena ten times out of ten. Just looked and they have increased the Maximus Arena’s price heavily from last year. Remembering that it was $1150 then compared to $1750 now. Doesn’t look like there were any upgrades compared to last year though.

Have heard that the firebricks in the Arena scorch pizza bottoms even at temps of 700 F. The Doma is the same price yet has a better floor, better insulation, better accessories, dual fuel, better features, and more reputable manufacturer. Also more fuel efficient based on their power ratings. Floor size advantage for the Arena, but using wood takes away 30% of any floor space
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 10:57:04 PM by Pandasbecats »
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
GI Metal Azzurra 8" turning peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline peakpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 11:04:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  The Maximus really intrigues me because it seems to operate closer to that of a wood burning oven than the gozney.   Plus I haven’t been to happy with the way Gozney has handled the release and shipping of the Dome.  I may just stick it out with the dome and if I am unhappy with it, then I will make the switch. 

Offline Pandasbecats

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 10:46:17 AM »
If it wasn’t for the Maximus’s steep price increase to $1750  than would be a different answer. The Oven it is copied after (Pizza Party) is still only $900-1000 on the manufacturer’s website.

Assuming that the Maximus and Pizza Party are relative in quality to each other (With advantage going to pizza Party for its lower dome, better bricks, better door, and looks imo) I would not pay $1750 for a Maximus nor for a wood only pizza party over the multifuel Dome. Quality control might be spotty but wouldn’t blame Gozney too hard for the shipping.
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline peakpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »
Panda, I notice you have/had a PP 70 cm.  What was the largest size pizza that you could make in that oven and did you ever bake bread in it?  We’re you extremely happy with that oven?
For what it is worth, I contacted the manufacturer of the Maximus and they claim to have never had any complaints about the bricks/stones causing issues with the higher temperature pizzas.  I wouldn’t except them to say otherwise.  Everyone that I have seen have a pizza party oven just seems so satisfied and content with it, so IF the Maximus is a clone of the PP,  it makes it a hard decision to make for me.  But maybe the saputo stones make that much of a difference?
I just wish the cooking area of the dome was a bit bigger.

Offline Pandasbecats

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 07:06:14 PM »
Yes am very satisfied with my Pizza Party 70x70. Bought it for $920 + $200 shipping in early 2019. I also have a Pizza Party Ardore that I bought used for $525 in my area.

Biggest pizza I’ve made was 14 inches, and 15 inches prob the max due to the Oven opening’s width. Never have made bread unfortunately. My 70x70 has the stock corderite stones, not Saputo
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 07:40:06 PM »
One thing to consider, the Maximus is avilable right now. From what I've been reading the next shipment of Dome's won't be until mid Spring 2022. And I bet however many they'll have, most are already pre-ordered. That's just a guess, but I know it's popular and a ton of people want one, for all we know maybe the waiting list's already extended beyond the next batch :( I'm going to start saving now for one, everyone seems to be having supply chain issues. So I'm wondering when a person will actually be able to get one.

Offline jwbelcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 03:11:21 PM »
I also have a Pizza Party Ardore that I bought used for $525 in my area.

What's been your impression of the Ardore?   I'll occasionally browse the 2nd hand market but not seen one pop up yet.

Offline Pandasbecats

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »
No impressions of the Ardore, have not used it since buying it four months ago. My 70x70 heats up quickly enough already and it’s more fun to turn pizzas in.

Letting a cousin borrow the Ardore in the meantime. Based on the pie pics, he has a lot of improving to do

I found this Ardore off Craigslist Seattle. Needed to drive an hour out. Still looking on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for another 70x70 or Pizzone every few days
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline jwbelcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 01:44:34 PM »
No impressions of the Ardore, have not used it since buying it four months ago. My 70x70 heats up quickly enough already and it’s more fun to turn pizzas in.

Letting a cousin borrow the Ardore in the meantime. Based on the pie pics, he has a lot of improving to do

I found this Ardore off Craigslist Seattle. Needed to drive an hour out. Still looking on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for another 70x70 or Pizzone every few days

I have a unused / out of the box Passione with Saputo.  There was a health matter where I was unable to use it after buying.  I've considered putting it up for sale a few times but haven't out of stubbornness.  Largely bc I know once it's gone it'll be impossible to get again.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 11:46:17 PM »
I have a unused / out of the box Passione with Saputo.  There was a health matter where I was unable to use it after buying.  I've considered putting it up for sale a few times but haven't out of stubbornness.  Largely bc I know once it's gone it'll be impossible to get again.

Hang in there!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Pandasbecats

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 01:15:57 AM »

They’re a great line of ovens, but yeah would do the same in your situation. The second hand market wouldn’t capture your oven’s true value anyways
Pizza Party Red 70x70
Pizza Party Ardore
11"x11" Wood Peel
Nutrimill Artiste

Offline Auralnauts

• What's a pizza anyway?
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 08:39:32 PM »
The issue with Gozney is the ridiculous wait list to buy one of those domes. I've been on it since before the launch.
Dough, stretch, sauce, cheese; check.

wordpress