A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Reducing rubbery crust  (Read 256 times)

Offline jsobolew

• I Love Pizza!
Reducing rubbery crust
« on: November 09, 2021, 03:45:50 PM »
I have a 1x a week pop-up that generally does very well. I sell out every week and I have a lot of people who are very enthusiastic about my pizza. That being said, I am always looking to make small improvements. I feel like when my pizza comes out of the oven, the texture is just as I want it to be but after sitting in a box for a long period of time, the crust (specifically the edge, cornice) gets rubbery. The part with sauce and cheese is fine though. I know that this is probably unavoidable to some extent but I'd like to try to mitigate it the best I can. I've tried to reduce mix time, use lower protein flours, reduce stretch and folds but the results are mostly the same. Here's my basic run down:

50/50 blend of Central Milling 00 (11.5% protein) and GM unbromated Harvest King, 12% protein (previously unbromated All Trumps.)
69% Hydration
2.5% salt
7.5% sourdough starter

I mix flour, water and sourdough for about 4-5 mins in a Sunmix spiral mixer at the lowest speed. Autolyse for 20 mins, then mix for an additional 4-5 mins while ramping up the speed. The dough comes out and goes through 2-3 stretch and folds over the course of about 6 hours then I ball it (395g balls) and put it in the fridge for 2 days. I know a lot of people say not to refrigerate sourdough but this approach has worked very well for me.

I take the dough out of the fridge a few hours before baking. My pizzas are 16", relatively thin and baked in a Edil Planet oven with gas burner at around 650-700F for 2.5 mins. I consider them to be a hybrid between Neapolitan and NY "elite" styles.

I am thinking maybe either adding oil or a higher hydration would help. I haven't added oil in the past because I don't really add anything unless there is a need and I have tested and verified it. I have heard people say that oil can either make it more tender, more crispy or less crispy. I have tried batches with higher hydration but they do become more difficult to handle and stretch which can be a big problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Reducing rubbery crust
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 03:52:29 PM »
"but after sitting in a box for a long period of time"

Moisture from sitting in the box?

Offline jsobolew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 04:26:20 PM »
"but after sitting in a box for a long period of time"

Moisture from sitting in the box?

Likely. I let the pizzas cool on a cooling rack for a minute or two before boxing and I have the vents punched open in the boxes. Not sure what more can be done about that.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 05:38:47 PM »
jsobolew,

I don't know if it will help but the late Tom Lehmann talked from time to time on the matter of keeping pizzas from getting too much moisture while in pizza boxes. Here are a couple of posts on the subject by Tom:

Reply 1 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45253.msg453131;topicseen#msg453131

Reply 3 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=47455.msg475948;topicseen#msg475948

Peter

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 11:16:14 PM »
How long is it sitting in the box and why?

Offline jsobolew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 02:05:16 PM »
How long is it sitting in the box and why?

They sit in the box for however long it takes for a customer to take it home and open it up. I try to emphasize that they are better eaten on-site but that just doesn't work for everyone. Especially now that we approach colder, wetter weather. Could be anywhere from 10 mins to multiple hours.

wordpress