A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019  (Read 31977 times)

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: Gumbawill's N.Y. style sourdough saga 2019
« Reply #400 on: May 29, 2022, 12:24:34 PM »
For those that never had the pleasure, here's the way to eat caciocavallo! :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12:27:30 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline [email protected]

• Supporting Member
  • I'm just a cook.
« Reply #401 on: May 29, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »
I am very satisfied with how my pizza base has evolved. Never dense, airy, crisp, and chewy!

Today's pie borrows an attribute from my recent Siciliano bakes....

Curious about topping on bottom two slices in these pics. Red peppers or chopped mushrooms?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 05:53:04 PM by [email protected] »
Dean

Offline GumbaWill

• My canvas is a blank pizza skin
    • Will Falzon, The Brooklyn Maltese
« Reply #402 on: May 29, 2022, 08:20:06 PM »
Curious about topping on bottom two slices in these pics. Red peppers or chopped mushrooms?

Ha! Someone at one of the FB pizza clubs asked me if it was "pepper or dried garlic". The truth is, it's the well-loved, traditional pizza condiment of crushed red pepper flakes. 

Will
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

• Supporting Member
  • I'm just a cook.
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2022, 01:35:38 AM »
Ha! Someone at one of the FB pizza clubs asked me if it was "pepper or dried garlic". The truth is, it's the well-loved, traditional pizza condiment of crushed red pepper flakes. 

Will

Very good. Wife and I were debating and I won 😉.  Love the red pepper flakes too. Growing cayennes this year to make my own.
Dean

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2022, 02:58:07 PM »
Very good. Wife and I were debating and I won 😉.  Love the red pepper flakes too. Growing cayennes this year to make my own.
Iíve done that a couple times. I donít know what level of heat you like but I removed the seeds from every other pepper and it was perfect for me.
-Tony

• Supporting Member
  • I'm just a cook.
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
Iíve done that a couple times. I donít know what level of heat you like but I removed the seeds from every other pepper and it was perfect for me.

Ah, good tip. Hadnít considered that could end up considerably hotter than commercial red pepper flakes. Do enjoy a good kick though, especially Mexican food.
Dean

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2022, 04:16:10 PM »

I would make sure none of the seeds escaped.   :-D
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

• Supporting Member
  • I'm just a cook.
« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2022, 10:49:49 PM »
I would make sure none of the seeds escaped.   :-D

After 45 years in SW, guess Iím well seasoned. If my scalp gets to perspiring, I consider it just starting to get hot.
Dean

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #408 on: June 01, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
After 45 years in SW, guess Iím well seasoned. If my scalp gets to perspiring, I consider it just starting to get hot.

Is Colorado considered South West? The red building on the right is the property I manage. I am so ready to get out of dodge! I won't miss this place at all!  Dreaming of Navajo nation salt river wild mustangs!
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #409 on: June 01, 2022, 02:34:49 PM »
Is Colorado considered South West? The red building on the right is the property I manage. I am so ready to get out of dodge! I won't miss this place at all!  Dreaming of Navajo nation salt river wild mustangs!

Found this online:

"Broadly defined, Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah are all part of the Southwestern United States. Alternatively, Arizona, western New Mexico, western Texas, southern Colorado, and southern Utah comprise the core of the Southwestern United States under narrower definitions. Because different governmental departments of the United States have designated different states to be part of the Southwestern region, no official, uniform definition exists."
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> Pizza Party Emizione, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #410 on: June 01, 2022, 02:40:39 PM »
For the first time in a very long time, I have no pizza dough in the freezer. At the same time, I have close to no strong flour in the "cupboard". Maybe just enough for one a Saturday night 72hr. pizza?
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #411 on: June 01, 2022, 05:23:03 PM »
For the first time in a very long time, I have no pizza dough in the freezer. At the same time, I have close to no strong flour in the "cupboard". Maybe just enough for one a Saturday night 72hr. pizza?
I vote yes. :)
-Tony

• Supporting Member
  • I'm just a cook.
« Reply #412 on: June 02, 2022, 09:22:45 AM »

Wow, nice shot. Spent many a day walking around Prospect Park when I was a kid. Grew up in Bay Ridge, but the park was a favorite spot for my parents who grew up in the neighborhood back in the 20s.

Colorado felt a lot more SW when I first moved here.

Urban areas have grown substantially over the past three decades. Weather is generally amazing but unpredictable with some wild extremes that can be an experience. Scenery is off the charts and varies as much as the weather. You can be in the mountains with snow capped 14'ers on every side in the morning and driving through a town straight out of a dusty spaghetti western a couple hours later. Lot of people come for a visit and end up relocating permanently.
Dean

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #413 on: June 04, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
I was in colorado in 2001 for the season opener Monday night football Giants at The Broncos. I had season tickets for the Giants the Season before. The Giants lost the super bowl to the Ravens.  I believe it was also the first game at their new stadium. Anyway, long story short. The Giants were getting killed, I decided to leave at halftime and find a flight home to make it to my sister in laws funeral. Well, I did make it home Tuesday morning. On the drive to NJ, I find out we were attacked on 9-11-2001. My friends were stuck in colorado for a week!
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #414 on: June 04, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »
No pizza this week. However, I made my pizza supply run this morning. The Roadside pie king is back in business! Sansone had one lousy 5lb bag of Sir Lancelot. I told them I would buy the 50lbs from the warehouse. After some discussion, they agreed. Smile. $35.00 bucks for 50lbs. They did not charge me the warehouse price. Still I left happy and now have 40lbs back up flour in my office  freezer.
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

• Supporting Member
  • I'm just a cook.
« Reply #415 on: June 04, 2022, 03:58:07 PM »
I was in colorado in 2001 for the season opener Monday night football Giants at The Broncos. I had season tickets for the Giants the Season before. The Giants lost the super bowl to the Ravens.  I believe it was also the first game at their new stadium. Anyway, long story short. The Giants were getting killed, I decided to leave at halftime and find a flight home to make it to my sister in laws funeral. Well, I did make it home Tuesday morning. On the drive to NJ, I find out we were attacked on 9-11-2001. My friends were stuck in colorado for a week!

Wow, that was fortunate timing but what a shock it must have been, as it was for all of us. Happened to be on vacation down at the Grand Canyon when it occurred. By the time we heard about it mid morning, the buildings were already down. Trade Center was the very last place I visited before leaving NYC.
Dean

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »
What is up, pizza lovers! Very stressed out here at casa Falzon. A lot going on. Please pray/send positive energy. All is good, however, as my brother-in-law (love him like a brother) Nicky would say, there is a black cloud over you Falzon's, whatever can go wrong will!
 Back on topic. I finally made my freezer batch of dough yesterday. 6 balls for the freezer one for today's pie. I have to comment, so much more spring in this 24 hr. never frozen dough than in my par for the course 48 -72 hrs from frozen doughs. I can't wait to practice on all never frozen cold ferment doughs.

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2022, 05:35:43 PM »
I have to comment, so much more spring in this 24 hr. never frozen dough than in my par for the course 48 -72 hrs from frozen doughs. I can't wait to practice on all never frozen cold ferment doughs.

Dinner is served.
Actual dough weight 546 grams, 24 Hr. cold ferment dough, (never frozen.) Three Italian cheese, 8 min. bake. IDK, I really feel my pizza can stand up against any pizza currently being made in NYC.  However, I need some more impartial taste testers. Once I make the jump to the south West, I think pizza makers will be hard-pressed to hold a candle to my creations!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 05:37:43 PM by GumbaWill »
Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

• Supporting Member
  • I'm just a cook.
« Reply #418 on: June 11, 2022, 07:20:20 PM »
Looks FABU, Will. And trust me, when you get out here you won't want anything but your own pizza, unless maybe you hook up with other local pizzaheads from this place. I've tried pretty much everything it town that other New Yorkers have recommended as the best and it's consistently horrid. Thank God for this place or I'd still be eating crappy pizza.
Dean

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #419 on: June 17, 2022, 05:27:42 PM »

Pizza Friday.
 I felt like crisping it up today. I went back to a ten-minute bake. Preheat for less than 1 hour. Man, does this G.E. gas oven get hot!

Will Falzon
The Brooklyn Maltese

wordpress