A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Giant bubble in middle of dough  (Read 269 times)

Offline Detmsp

Giant bubble in middle of dough
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:17:12 PM »
I've never really tried a recreate a true NY pizza, but decided to yesterday. I figured the Dough Doctor's recipe would be a good place to start. I added the optional sugar to aid browning. The only difference I made from his instructions was mixing and kneading by hand (I don't have a stand mixer). I used 93 degree water, which allowed me to get a final temperature of 82 degrees. I immediately put it in the fridge to cold ferment.

We're nearing the 24 hour mark and I see the dough has a massive bubble! Any one know what can be done about this? Is that an indication that I didn't knead the dough enough to create enough structure in the dough to keep the CO2 from escaping to the edge? Is my yeast too active and I should have used colder water (even though I nailed the final temp the Dough Doctor recommends)?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Giant bubble in middle of dough
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 01:47:12 PM »
Pop it.
As for what you did or didn't do to prevent it in the future, you will most likely need to provide your exact recipe and your step -by-step procedure for anyone to be able to help.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Detmsp

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 04:05:35 PM »
Pop it.
As for what you did or didn't do to prevent it in the future, you will most likely need to provide your exact recipe and your step -by-step procedure for anyone to be able to help.
Interestingly the dough bubble seems to have collapsed on its own.

I used the Tom Lehmann recipe in the photo and scaled it for a 16" pie. Here are my steps:

- I mixed the water (93 degrees) salt and sugar and stirred.
- Added the flour and yeast.
- Hand mixed using the pincer method until it came together in a cohesive ball.
- Added the olive oil and mixed using pincer method until incorporated.
- Moved the dough to a lightly floured surface and kneaded by hand for about 10 mins.
- I took the temp, was at 82 degrees, which is in the target range.
- Pulled the dough into a tight ball, and put it in a lightly oiled container in the fridge for 24 hours.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:09:18 PM by Detmsp »

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »
I'm familiar with that recipe.  It is the one I use (with my tweaks).
For the yeast, 1.3g is just about ,5% and for your 16" it would be 1.7g.
I do a 3 day CF and had bubble problem.  I cut the yeast back until the bubble no longer happened.
For me that was .25% or .65g.  That would be about .85g for you.
I would start by reducing it in small amounts to get to where the bubble no longer happens.
My 3 day CF will need different amount of yeast than your 24 hr CF.

Others may have different thoughts/suggestions.

Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 04:34:46 PM »
I've never really tried a recreate a true NY pizza, but decided to yesterday. I figured the Dough Doctor's recipe would be a good place to start. I added the optional sugar to aid browning. The only difference I made from his instructions was mixing and kneading by hand (I don't have a stand mixer). I used 93 degree water, which allowed me to get a final temperature of 82 degrees. I immediately put it in the fridge to cold ferment.

We're nearing the 24 hour mark and I see the dough has a massive bubble! Any one know what can be done about this? Is that an indication that I didn't knead the dough enough to create enough structure in the dough to keep the CO2 from escaping to the edge? Is my yeast too active and I should have used colder water (even though I nailed the final temp the Dough Doctor recommends)?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I am entirely speculating, but you may have inadvertently created a layer during the balling or kneading process that didn't bond well do the surrounding dough.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 05:16:51 PM »
I had the same issue with that recipe, and found out that it is designed for commercial operations where the coolers circulate air and therefore cool off the dough much faster.  So the finished dough temp of 80+ is fine for that application, but not for the home fridge.  So - your dough likely overfermented.  I would suggest water at RT or slightly cooler.  I had really good success with finished dough temps in the low 70s.  Hope that helps.

The Broz
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline Detmsp

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 03:34:30 AM »
Hmm based on what I know about bread making, it sounds like either less yeast or lower temp on the water will have a similar affect, so I think you're both onto something!

Pizza turned out really well, despite the giant bubble!