A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourdough starter quantity predictive model  (Read 196725 times)

Offline EthanPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sourdough starter quantity predictive model
« Reply #440 on: May 14, 2021, 11:44:29 PM »
@Craig Quick question oh great Sourdough pizzaGuru.  :pizza: :chef: :angel:

So I've been making dough with sourdough the past couple months. Just got a spiral mixer and have been further experimenting. I use way more sourdough starter than your chart predicts I shouls (I'm using around 15%)  :o The thing is, I much prefer Cold Fermenting in the fridge for two reasons:

1, when I followed your chart last time, my starter made the pizza taste like it was squirted with lemon when I did 21 or so hours at room temp and the chart's recommended amount of starter. Maybe it's just my particular starter?

2, I like to make like 5 days worth of dough balls and just eat one each day. I love the flavors and textures being slightly different with each 24 hours of added fermentation times and ease of making a batch big enough batch to not have to keep making more dough if I want to make 5 or 6 pizzas in a week. The only negative is after day 4 or 5, the pizzas no longer leopard as well, and instead start browning.

I love everything about my pizzas, except the crust is not nearly airy enough. It is way too dense for my liking. So I guess I asked a few questions amidst my ramblings, but my main inquiry is, is it the high starter amount doing this non airy crust, or do I simply need to adjust flame levels and temp settings in oven?

Here's a few pics of my pizzas (all around 15% SD starter). First two pizzas are with my direct dough (pre spiral mixer) and the other two pizzas were made with 100% biga (cold fermented for 48 hours before mixing into final dough.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:52:52 PM by EthanPizza »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Sourdough starter quantity predictive model
« Reply #441 on: May 15, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »
In my experience, and from many observations on this website, SF + CF = dense, sometimes even gummy crumb.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

A D V E R T I S E M E N T