A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1552030 times)

Peter B and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pslyman

Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #18660 on: May 12, 2021, 06:27:45 PM »
Made a week or two ago. "Delivery" style, or rather an elevated Papa Johns or Two Jacks style. I pulled the sauce recipe and dough values from a Weeds and Sardines video. Essentially the salt and sugar content is drastically (somewhat uncomfortably) increased. But it is delicious! The sauce (tomato paste, sugar, tons of spices) is like 90% there. If you have a delivery style itch, this will scratch it.

I cooked it on a preheated pizza stone, topmost rack, 550F conventional roast. Cooks in 3-4 minutes.

I reversed engineered the amounts to work with the pizza app/webapp. Here's a link if you're interested.

The video:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:34:59 PM by pslyman »

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #18661 on: May 13, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
A frozen marinara that I topped with mature cheddar, parmesan, salami, capers, red pepper and fresh chives.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18662 on: May 13, 2021, 06:59:01 PM »
Made a week or two ago. "Delivery" style, or rather an elevated Papa Johns or Two Jacks style. I pulled the sauce recipe and dough values from a Weeds and Sardines video. Essentially the salt and sugar content is drastically (somewhat uncomfortably) increased. But it is delicious! The sauce (tomato paste, sugar, tons of spices) is like 90% there. If you have a delivery style itch, this will scratch it.

I cooked it on a preheated pizza stone, topmost rack, 550F conventional roast. Cooks in 3-4 minutes.

I reversed engineered the amounts to work with the pizza app/webapp. Here's a link if you're interested.

The video:

Do you like the sauce with tomato paste? I love it personally. Not exactly a master at making sauce but I tried other methods including cooked  sauce.  Tomato paste is so quick and tastes nostalgic.. reminds me of my first memory eating pizza at school.    I make it a few days in advance and leave it in fridge so the flavors combine. You can make it thick so its powerful tasting or more diluted and weak.

My mother used to make pizza  with pure tomato paste  no water. It was kinda nice but a bit overkill.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:00:53 PM by MadMatt »

Offline Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18663 on: May 14, 2021, 06:51:24 AM »
Did another NY style last night. The crust was much more tender with this one. This time I mixed it in my KitchenAid just till the dough was smooth and passed the egg test. It was cooked in my Ooni Pro at around 650 for 8 minutes. The underside was not quite as crisp as I would have liked and I think that may have been from not heating up the Ooni long enough.
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #18664 on: May 14, 2021, 10:48:50 AM »
What's the "egg test"?
Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = He is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = I hope you're kidding.
Than vs. Then = If you score more points than the other team, then you will win the game.
Principal vs. Principle = The high school Principal is a man of principles.
Itís vs its = Itís beautiful in its own way.

Offline ThePizzaFollowing

• Add me on instagram. Let's talk pizzas.
« Reply #18665 on: May 14, 2021, 10:50:28 AM »
This past weekends bake.

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #18666 on: May 14, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »
This past weekends bake.

Nice looking pizza!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline pslyman

« Reply #18667 on: May 14, 2021, 11:59:43 AM »
Do you like the sauce with tomato paste? I love it personally. Not exactly a master at making sauce but I tried other methods including cooked  sauce.  Tomato paste is so quick and tastes nostalgic.. reminds me of my first memory eating pizza at school.    I make it a few days in advance and leave it in fridge so the flavors combine. You can make it thick so its powerful tasting or more diluted and weak.

My mother used to make pizza  with pure tomato paste  no water. It was kinda nice but a bit overkill.

I did! Normally I just use a brand of crushed tomatoes that I like, sometimes adding salt, oregano, sugar. I didn't think tomato paste would work since it's so pungent, but after mixing in everything else and spreading lightly, it was perfectly nostalgic. It added a bit more flavor that I can't quite get out of crushed tomatoes. I made some that I used right away, then again a couple days later (stored in fridge) and liked the improvement after letting it combine for while.

I may be a heathen for using tomato paste, but I enjoy it. :D

Offline nickyr

« Reply #18668 on: May 14, 2021, 10:49:18 PM »
33% biga. Calabro Buffalo mozzarella (very tasty). First home grown basil of the year!

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18669 on: May 15, 2021, 01:13:58 PM »
Two 14"  0.08tf pizza  58% water 2% oil

Mozarella cheddar blend  with some grana padano prebake  used 7oz per pizza

pre-sliced hungarian gyulai  taste like smoky pepperoni

baked on steel 5 1/2 to 6 minutes in convection oven.   Just used cheap 11.7% Lidl supermarket bread flour (bout 65p 1.5kg) had no problem tearing, don't need expensive bread four.

Pics make it look a lil dry but it wasn't

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:17:00 PM by MadMatt »

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18670 on: May 15, 2021, 01:44:31 PM »
Nice pie. I use Gyulai all the time in lieu of pepperoni. Much more flavorful than pepperoni.
George

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18671 on: May 15, 2021, 01:57:38 PM »
24 cf.  baked in ooni pro around 600deg. 

1 pepperoni pineapple
2 carrot sauce base, fontina, red onion. 
3 cheese.  Basil post bake.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 02:22:38 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18672 on: May 15, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »

2 carrot sauce base, fontina, red onion. 

How was the taste on this pie?
Paul

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18673 on: May 15, 2021, 03:08:21 PM »
The recipe was from below.  My wife found it and I made it. 

In all honesty, I think itís a really tasty alternative.  Carrot blends well with the fontina, and the slice has an overall lightness to it. Would definitely recommend as an alt to a tomato sauce based pie.  Leans to the sweeter side from carrots and onions, but not to sweet.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/carrot-pizza-with-fontina-and-red-onion-56389448

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #18674 on: May 15, 2021, 04:07:43 PM »
Plain cheese in the WFO

Offline gloopdegurp

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18675 on: May 15, 2021, 07:12:46 PM »
Made two pies today, posted one in the Monthly Challenge thread and here is the other one.

ADM Dominator HG, 63%, 2.5% salt, 2.5% Carnation Malted Milk Powder, 1.7% oil, 0.3% IDY. Mixed in Bosch UM3 with regular bowl for six minutes, bench rest during clean up then divided and bagged for about 72 hour CF.

Home electric oven at just past 500į setting (max. numbered) on tiles (center tile measured 650į+ on IR) for 9 1/2 minutes.

Saporito/7-11 blend, diluted, with some ground black pepper, oregano, garlic powder and a couple of shakes ground thyme and savory. Eight ounces.

Cheese is John F Martin LMPS mozzarella, eight ounces.

Margherita pepperoni.

18 ounce dough ball, 16" pie (here and there), so just under .09 TF. Probably a bit less as 16" was measured after bake shrinkage.

Also included a picture of the pie baking under my bent cookie sheet dome hack. Not pretty but I think it helps.
Ron

Online TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18676 on: May 16, 2021, 02:45:42 PM »
A white pie. 80% hydration (with a liberal dose of bench flour  :-D ). Extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, oregano, chili flakes, crushed garlic, chiffonade basil, fresh mozzarella, whole milk ricotta.

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #18677 on: May 16, 2021, 06:39:17 PM »
I made a 10 inch, South Shore/pub/bar style pizza for lunch today. I was in the mood for an umami bomb kind of pizza, so this one has pepperoni, onion slivers, and anchovies. I used about 5 ounces of cheese, which is an equal blend I shredded from blocks of white cheddar, LMPS mozzarella, and Monterey Jack. I used about 3 ounces of sauce that I had made from crushed tomatoes and seasoned with EVOO (1 tbs), salt, black pepper, garlic and onion powder, dried oregano (Ĺ tsp ea), and a ľ tsp of fresh ground fennel seed.

Yesterday, I made a bulk batch of dough so that I could make two 200-205 gram dough balls. I mixed the ingredients in a bowl with a silicone spatula until there was not any loose particulate matter, which took about 2 minutes, then let it sit covered for about 15 minutes to rest. Then I mixed it again for about 3 minutes with the silicone spatula to fully incorporate everything, and left on the counter, covered with plastic wrap, to do a bulk RT ferment. About every 3 hours, I would do a stretch and fold of the dough several times, using damp hands.

At around the 9 hour mark, I did the stretch and fold and then portioned the dough into two approximately 205 gram chunks, shaping them into balls with an ever so slight amount of flour. I then put them in lightly oiled bowls to rise in the fridge for about 10 hours. I used one today, and will use the other one tomorrow (or maybe a midnight snack tonight). I took the dough out of the fridge and let it come to room temp for about 2 hours, so the dough was getting to that 24 hour mark. I opened the dough using a small bit of a 50/50 mix of flour and semolina on the counter, and then using my knuckles to stretch it to the 10 inches or so needed for the pan. I had about 1.5 tbs of corn oil in the 10x1 inch Lloyd pan.

I placed the dough in the pan and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then pulled to stretch it past the edges and let it relax back into place, nudging it to fit the pan well all the way around. It didnít take much. I put the toppings on the pizza, and added bit of fresh grated parmesan cheese, and a dusting of dried oregano and fresh ground black pepper.

I put the pan into a 525F preheated oven with a stone on the bottom rack, and an empty rack in the middle. I started baking the pizza on the middle rack (without a stone) for 5 minutes, then rotated it 180 and put it on the bottom rack with stone for about 4 minutes. I removed it from the oven and extracted the pizza from the pan using an offset icing spatula and let it cool on a rack for a few minutes before cutting. Good bite, crunch, crisp, and umami bomb goodness.

Approximately 417 gram dough batch for two dough balls:

Flour, I used KABF, 234g, 100%
Water, 152g, ~90F, 65%
Corn Oil, 12g, 5%
Sugar, 12g, 5%
Salt, 5g, 2%
Yeast, I used SAF Red IDY, about 1.5g (0.5%), or about one-quarter and one-eighth teaspoon, but not that critical. Just use a scant more than ľ tsp.
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

Isolating a year from C-19 made me a better baker.

Online TurkeyOnRye

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18678 on: May 17, 2021, 01:52:45 PM »
Chicago style pepperoni and Italian sausage. This is actually an older bake, but I never got around to posting it on the forum.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18679 on: May 18, 2021, 09:07:24 PM »
first time trying cittero pepperoni, cups nicely, a little salty but delicious.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:10:15 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff