A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Craig's Johnny's Clone  (Read 56371 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Craig's Johnny's Clone
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »
Nice looking pie!

I dont recommend using appliances in ways they aren't intended, but fyi, I've heard that many ovens have a calibration option that enables you to adjust the temp by +35 degrees.

I was a metrologist for several years.  Tweak it!
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2020, 10:41:34 PM »
I was a metrologist for several years.  Tweak it!

Well, I happen to bake at what may appear to be an atypical temp of 535  ;)

Matt

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2020, 10:58:27 PM »
I was a metrologist for several years.

Seems like you should have said something like, "I was a metrologist for 1213 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes, and 16 seconds."
Carl

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #343 on: November 24, 2020, 11:53:14 PM »
Seems like you should have said something like, "I was a metrologist for 1213 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes, and 16 seconds."

6 years +/- 2%.  Traceable to NIST.
John

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #344 on: December 02, 2020, 03:16:46 AM »
Time to make a johnnys clone, honestly love this style.
If I'm not too tired I should have dough made tomorrow.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline mattcampy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #345 on: March 15, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »
Longtime listener, first time caller so to speak.

Never been to Johnny's but love the descriptions I've seen here and wanted to give it a go. I followed Craig's original clone recipe with a few minor differences (cold ferment was 48h vs 36h, day-of counter rise was 2-3hrs vs 6, and I used a watered down stanislaus superdolce sauce). Made 2 dough balls of 380g planning for 16" pies.

Notes: rolled dough (surprised I still had my rolling pin in the drawer) to about 15" then pulled it out to about around 17" by hand. Was very happy with how this went, dough was springy and resilient despite being very thin.

- Topped with WMLM mozz that I hand sliced to be thin, "shingled" probably the best term
- Filled in gaps with shredded brick cheese (love this cheese for its mozz-like melting but rich/salty flavor)
- Splashed on sauce with the wrist motion that the guys do in the restaurant (this was a mess and I ended up putting on way too much in hindsight)
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of romano
- swirl of oil

First pie: 550 w/ conv fan on, cooking on steel set in lower third of oven to fan blew over it. I was targeting 7 minutes but wasn't getting the color on the top that I wanted so I kept it going up to about 8:30-9 minutes. This got the look I wanted but the crust cooked out way too much.

I was really happy with this first attempt but I definitely had too much sauce and while the pie cooked well the crust was way too crunchy.

Second pie: I added pepperoni but generally followed the same routine. I ran out of sauce mid-build and in a quick panic filled the void with a makeshift sauce I hastily watered down from a detroit pizza. The main variable I wanted to play with was if I could get the cooking time down to around that 7 minute mark while still having a dark bake on top. So for this I turned off the convection fan and turned on the broiler (unfortunately the steel was already set in the lower third of the oven so this didn't have the effect I was hoping for.) This one was a bit of the opposite where it has good bendable elasticity but looked pale and undercooked.

Final verdict were two good tasting pies that missed the mark but give me hope for improvement! Next time I'd like to set the steel up under the broiler and see if that would result in a darker bake in less overall time. Also want to upgrade the flour from KABF to all trumps bleached/bromated.

Here are some pics:

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2021, 06:58:45 PM »
I know this thread is a few years old, but I appreciate everyone's work especially Craig!  I've been itching to try this out for a while and finally got around to it!  Was very good.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 07:28:21 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #347 on: March 21, 2021, 07:26:16 PM »
I know this thread is a few years old, but I appreciate everyone's work especially Craig!  I've been itching to try this out for a while and finally got around to it!  Was very good.
  Dang, that looks great!  What did you cook it in?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2021, 07:08:42 AM »

^^^
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2021, 10:10:27 AM »

Cooked on Steel at 535 approximately 7 minutes. The top typically does not cook super well, so I was happy how it turned out.  Not show, was my first one with just sauce on top.  For some reason it got almost to crispy.  The second one (shown) I put some extra cheese on top which made it.  Added  Mozzarella on the bottom and a sprinkled new york white cheddar on top.  It is definitely a different style, but it was fun to mix it up from my normal New York style!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2021, 05:35:20 PM »
Cooked on Steel at 535 approximately 7 minutes. The top typically does not cook super well, so I was happy how it turned out.  Not show, was my first one with just sauce on top.  For some reason it got almost to crispy.  The second one (shown) I put some extra cheese on top which made it.  Added  Mozzarella on the bottom and a sprinkled new york white cheddar on top.  It is definitely a different style, but it was fun to mix it up from my normal New York style!
Can you move the steel up any in the oven. I get better results the higher I go. (I don't use the broiler).
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »
I think I'm going to give that a shot next time. It is currently upper third of the oven, but maybe I'll move it to the first or second notch.   Less room for launching which makes me a little nervous, but I think it is time.  I appreciate the tip!

Offline Yeasty Boy

« Reply #352 on: March 30, 2021, 12:52:50 PM »
I gave the Johnny's Clone pizza a shot this past weekend. Eventful to say the least. :-\

12 hr Preferment:
90g KAAP
90g RO water
1/16 t IDY

I was scared to use only 3 grains, so I went heavier. Could have used much less...it was very active after 12 hours

Added to the preferment -
135 g KAAP
45g RO water
5g salt
5g oil

48 hours refrigerator fermentation. Removed, and 3 hours to get to 60 F (kept in a small tupperware container)

Made a 362g ball (I only made one)

550F on steel

8 oz Galbani mozzarella, frozen, then shaved as thin as I could.

Sauce - Drained and pureed whole tomatoes, EVOO, oregano, a little sugar, and salt

Toppings - a little extra sharp cheddar, sweet sausage and pepperoni

Rolled the dough out, then hand-stretched. It was on the edge of being too big for my steel, but would have been ok with a perfect launch. Launch was 95% perfect. >:(

When launched, the front 1/2" drooped over the edge of the steel. I tried to flip it over but it wouldn't stay, and I was losing heat messing with it, so I let it go.

Things were going ok until the 4 minute mark, when the drooping edge became a leak where some sauce from the top dripped onto the oven bottom.

The oven starts smoking, but I had roughly a minute remaining so I had to let it go.

Next, the smoke alarm goes off..."WHAAA...WHAAA...WHAAA....EVACUATE...EVACUATE (it talks)!!..." My wife starts fanning around it and opening windows as I wait for the pizza to finish. The cats are freaking out and yeowling...what a train wreck....the cacophony stopped after about 2 long minutes.

Pulled the pizza out and it in better shape than expected. I guess I used a little too much sauce because the inner 3.5" diameter was "wet." From 3.5" to the 14" edge, it was crisp and tasted great.

I'm going to try again this weekend, with a 330g total ball weight and a bit less sauce. More evenly sliced cheese too. If I screw this one up, my wife may not let me try this style again.  :-D
Hudson, OH

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #353 on: April 19, 2021, 09:47:23 AM »
This past weekend I was at Restaurant Depot and picked up a 25 lb bag of All Trumps Bleached Bromated Enriched Malted High Gluten Flour. While I know that this specific recipe is built around KAAP, I'm curious how it would work with the All Trumps.
Paul

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2021, 09:10:35 AM »
The more I use AT, the more I like it.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »

I really like it a lot but can't find it anywhere here :(

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
The more I use AT, the more I like it.

I've never worked with it, but from all that I've read on here it seems like a great flour to work with. I think it was many of your posts that moved me away from using 00 flour. Now I only use 00 when I make pasta.

Today I'm going to do a batch of dough with AT to attempt my first Johnny's Clone.
Paul

Offline psedillo

• Supporting Member
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »
I really like it a lot but can't find it anywhere here :(

If you have a Restaurant Depot in your area, they tend to carry it.
Paul

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2021, 09:40:42 AM »
It's where I always got it before we moved...but the only GM  li flour both my local RD seem to carry is Harvest King.
But thank you

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2021, 11:10:23 AM »
Unfortunately in CA we don't have access to AT bromated. Has any one tried both bromated and non bromated and speak on the difference in flavor?  Is there anything that can be added to non bromated in order to duplicate the flavor of bromated?  Thanks!

wordpress