A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: What's your ingredients ratio for NY sauce?  (Read 6977 times)

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
Re: What's your ingredients ratio for NY sauce?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
I just use Cento crushed tomatoes right out of the can with just a touch of McCormick Italian Seasoning. 

My oven is only 16" deep, so I got a 16"x16" stone and use a 16" screen right on top of the stone and take it off after a couple of minutes and finish directly on the stone.  Great oven spring and browning.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:52:02 PM by clarkth »

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 03:02:17 PM »
You are making beautiful pizzas!

What is your thinking in wanting to add provolone? That's something I haven't tried (yet).

Matt

Thank you!

I could be wrong about this, but I've heard that most provolones are pretty high in fat content- maybe it can help my melt on my pizza.  One of the reasons I've liked using provolone in the past was because it added a very nice bite to the cheese flavor - which is something I can remember tasting from some NY pizzas.

I'll probably try 25% provolone and 75% mozzarella.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:04:08 PM by tdub154420 »
- Trevor

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 04:46:08 PM »
A very, very long time ago (mid 70s) one of the pizza shops I worked in used blocks of cheese that were labeled 20% provolone. Those were great pies but I think provolone is a hard thing to add. I have tried it and to be honest, I was not happy with the resulting flavor profile.

If you plan on using it I would stay away from sharp provolone since it can quickly push the flavor balance out into left field (IMHO). I also think there is a large difference (taste wise) between brands of provolone cheese. Maybe the ones I have tried were just not the right ones. Good luck, and if you find something that works please post about it!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Ave Maria

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 06:15:22 PM »
Newbie here....what do you mean by 7/11??

Offline caymus

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Newbie here....what do you mean by 7/11??

It is a brand of canned tomatoes that a lot of pizza shops use.  It is very good, but can usually only be purchased in large cans (#10).

Offline Ave Maria

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »
Ok thanks for clarifying that for me. Any suggestions on tomatoes for making the sauce?

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »
Ok thanks for clarifying that for me. Any suggestions on tomatoes for making the sauce?

There are 4 or 5 brands mentioned in this thread alone.  If you use the search function, or look at the ingredients threads, you find many, many more.

Offline caymus

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 07:04:06 PM »

At the newbie stage, I wouldn't worry too much about the tomatoes.  I use Sclafani crushed tomatoes but even Walmart Great Value tomatoes are fine. 

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 07:31:03 AM »
I know this is an old thread that hasn't had any activity in a long time..  I have been revisiting NYC Pizza..  I am doing some research on the cheese blend and sauce..  While I haven't used any of these Grande cheese blends, I would think they'd have some good insight to what their customers are using..  I prefer to grate and blend my own..  Just thought I'd share for the next person looking at this..  https://www.grandecheese.com/products/italian-blends/