A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Have you had this cheese melt?  (Read 70499 times)

Offline iLLEb

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Have you had this cheese melt?
« Reply #780 on: August 10, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »
^^^  :drool:

Norma

I was watching the Pizza Show for the 20th time, and I saw on Philly episode this kind lady called Norma, i'm like, hey i know a Norma from Pizzamaking.com, keep watching, Frank asks "where did you learn to make pizza" Norma says "pizzamaking.com - that blew my mind :')))

Great great pizza, im so sorry USA is so far for me i will probably never taste the pizza.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #781 on: September 07, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
Bumping thread, I think to get this melt you have be a wee generous on the sauce and cheese. I also think a thin sauce is contributing factor as well.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #782 on: September 15, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
Some recent cheese melt I've been getting.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #783 on: March 10, 2020, 05:25:42 AM »
Apart from mentioning that you've been using Grande cheese recently (as of the time of your original post), you haven't said much else about your cheese regimen. Are you using pre-shredded cheese? Are you shredding it yourself? Are you using it sliced? These variations can definitely make a difference. I'm a big fan of sliced cheese on my pizzas, as I think it gives the most even melt. I think what I'm seeing in your pictures that you're referring to as the 'dimpling' effect must be the result of using pre-shredded cheese variety that has powdered cellulose in it, which can interfere with even melting. Bear in mind that I'm just catching up on your post and haven't taken the time to read through all the responses that came before mine, so somebody else might have already mentioned it. Having said all that, though, I must say that the photo of the homemade NY style pizza you're showing as the 'imperfect' specimen seems to me to bear a strong resemblance to Joe's pizza, which is considered by many to be among the city's 5 best. So maybe you're being a little too hard on yourself for no good reason (?).
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #784 on: March 10, 2020, 05:33:03 AM »
I'd say they do apply it cold because.

By the law they HAVE to store hazardous foods at proper temperature within their prep containers at the prep station. At least they're supposed to.

Not necessarily. Health code dictates that cheese is stored at cold temperatures, yes. But if you're going to discard it within 24 hours, this is not so. And when you think about the immense quantities of pizzas that NYC pizzerias put out on a daily basis, there is every reason to believe that there will be very little, if any, cheese left at the end of the day that's been left out.
Watch any video on YT of Dom Demarco making pizza, and you'll see big bins of cheese sitting out at room temp (for that matter, he doesn't wear a hair net or disposable gloves, either, despite the fact that he's using his bare hands to apply finishing touches to ready-to-eat food).
The long and short of it is that health code is definitely well-defined when it comes to storing food, but it's more lenient than you might think when it comes to ingredients that will be discarded within a short time frame.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress